Jan Rutta Contract Extension

What is the max contract you would sign him to before letting him walk? Select 1 term and 1 AAV.

• 1YR

• 2YR

• 3YR

• 4YR

• 5YR

• 6YR

• 7YR

• 8YR

• 1-1.5M

• 1.5-2M

• 2-2.5M

• 2.5-3M

• 3-3.5M

• 3.5-4M

• 4-4.5M

• 4.5-5M

• 5-5.5M

• 5.5-6M

• 6M+

Results are only viewable after voting.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
He's played six games. Some of you guys are offering crazy term/pay.
Relative to Seabrook, the terms being talked about is peanuts. :)

Rutta's contract will be dependent on:
1. obviously his performance.
2. how Forsling, Kempny, and Murphy develop. If they do well, Rutta is expendable.

Let's not Seabrook and make a move before we have to.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for my defense, i guess i did get carried away for only 1 reason. i am not familiar with the CBA and RFA contracts. but that aside, Rutta next contract falls in the UFA and if his plays continues, he will get a huge offer. so put the money on the table now.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I was literally thinking about this today. If you can get him for 3x3 or less, why not lock him up now, so long as no NMC/NTC is attached?

It's not like we are watching a 20 year old call-up. He's played professional hockey for a while now.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I was literally thinking about this today. If you can get him for 3x3 or less, why not lock him up now, so long as no NMC/NTC is attached?

It's not like we are watching a 20 year old call-up. He's played professional hockey for a while now.

Erik Gustafsson was in his mid 20s when he had a very solid month with us in 15-16. It would've been a mistake signing him for millions after that hot start. Why put ourselves in that situation with Rutta?

Last edited:
Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
3yrs 2.5-3mil.

It's a significant trade, but not a price or term that would be too difficult to move if he got surpassed or the sheen started coming off.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Erik Gustafsson was in his mid 20s when he had a very solid month with us in 15-16. It would've been a mistake signing him for millions after that hot start. Why put ourselves in that situation with Rutta?

I guess I don't see much comparison between the two. Gus was making good plays but flying by the seat of his pants. Rutta looks like knows what he's doing in all situations.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
different time, different era. the system is full but at this present time and going to the end of the season, let see how he continues to play.

second the age difference and level of experience has not been talked about in your good pov.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
different time, different era. the system is full but at this present time and going to the end of the season, let see how he continues to play.

second the age difference and level of experience has not been talked about in your good pov.

Different era?

Reactions: LordKOTL

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

2 years is a different era? Okay, if you say so.

And you're right, I should've mentioned that EG was coming from the SHL, a league widely known as being better than the Czech league Rutta was playing in last year. My apologies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I still think Gus deserved another look. His underlying numbers were strong and outside of one poorly timed turnover in the playoffs, he looked good from the eye-test as far as driving play up the ice.

Much like Kempny, he was one of the few guys capable of keeping Seabook's head above water as far as 5v5 shot share.

But I'm not sure he can thrive in a system when skating the puck out isn't given a green light at all times.

Honestly, I think Rutta is better in the Dzone, but Gus probably is already better at transition plays. And I like Rutta a lot, for the record.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I still think Gus deserved another look. His underlying numbers were strong and outside of one poorly timed turnover in the playoffs, he looked good from the eye-test as far as driving play up the ice.

Much like Kempny, he was one of the few guys capable of keeping Seabook's head above water as far as 5v5 shot share.

But I'm not sure he can thrive in a system when skating the puck out isn't given a green light at all times.

Honestly, I think Rutta is better in the Dzone, but Gus probably is already better at transition plays. And I like Rutta a lot, for the record.
I hafta agree. Gus looked pretty good in pre-season but it looks like Q has made up his mind on Gus. Even though he said players would be judged on merit in pre-season we all knew that wouldn't happen ... hence we have Gus and Hino in RFD, and Bouma and Forsling in Chicago. Yes, Forsling looks better lately but he certainly didn't deserve to stick around with the camp he had.

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010
Whatever the term, don't forget to throw into an NMC or NTC, modified or not, Stan. (BTW: I actually like his play.)

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Different era?
yup, screw that.... i was trying to think of a witty remark, but i failed miserably.

in essence i screwed up on the idea of the defense and when the last time the system was ok.

ok this was an half baked idea i was thinking about.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't think he'll accept 3+ years for less than 3 per year. Not willing to pay that yet. Perfect Bridge contract candidate. 2 years 1.5-2.0 Million.

Interested to see what the results for Kempny would look like

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
I voted 4x4+M but not now after 6 games but only after/IF he proves he could take original Hammer's spot as top pairing r-dman.No problem to give him Murphy/Hammer's money then.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
for my defense, i guess i did get carried away for only 1 reason. i am not familiar with the CBA and RFA contracts. but that aside, Rutta next contract falls in the UFA and if his plays continues, he will get a huge offer. so put the money on the table now.
That also has to depend on how the other guys do. Yeah, like some are mentioning it's 6 games in and he could tail off-or other guys could step it up. That's a given. But if Murphy puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with a number less than 23, can we afford to keep both especially if there's a FWD (like Schmaltz or Panik) who might need to be re-upped.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
3 yrs at $3-$3.5 is how I voted.. I know...we also gotta raise Hartman who if Schmaltz ignites Kane to show up again could (for Hartman get him 30-40 points ge might not otherwise add to whatever he would get as a bottom six guy if he wax not no line #2 .. But if Hartman gets those extra 39-40 points over a 35 mark as a bottom six wing then Hartman will want big big bucks in his raise.We obviously will not pay Hartman $5-6 million even if he gets 65 points or more .or even $4.5: million at 50 points ...So Rutta ought to be the more significant guy to keep ..I would expect the put the dollars into Kempny and Rutta at reasonable mod'range $3 to $3.5 numbers and dump off Hartman and AA for cap relief .Not sure if they must put Hossa on LTIR every single season of his contract but only after season starts or if once it has been done as in this season they can keep him there before the next bunch of seasons starts and so can add cao cost on contract raises before the season starts..Whether they have to instead go through the wait till season starts every year forward for Hossa affectsnpjanning for signing new deals .

But in any case they probably will heed to dump Hartman and AA next season...They hopefully add-in a "cheap" (for 1 season..next season ...cause he will burn a year by playing a game at least thiss season) replacement for Hartman in Sikura ..but then they probably have to raise him a lot after 2018/19 ...But let us hope there are compliance buy-out after a lock-out before tge 2019/20 season gets going when the players can opt out of tge current CBA..If so Rocky just needs buy out 2/3 of the remaining 5 years of the Seabrook albatross contract ..Gee that is only 2/3 of $34 million still owing #7 by then ...chump change for Rocky, right.?

Alternate plan is to compliance buy-out the last 4 years of the Keith comtract then ...which saves Rocky a lot more cash ...

Of course should Seabs be moved to forward and provide some useful benefits there ...Maybe that determines which of the 2 will get a compliance buy-out if Rocky realkyvwishesvto fix our cap /aging issues ..
.Do we really think Keith on 2019/30 will still be at this level (aging ready far below his best years level already now) He will only decline more. Seabs already is incompetent as a D-man ...so we got a act on 1 of them at minimum to sace cap space for raises on the younger players.

OF COURSE will the cap go up much is another issue. If it significantly rises then there will be more wiggle room

If not tough decisions ahead for management ..

The Reason I voted $3-$3.5 on Rutta for 3 years is that it is only a relatively short deal ..still 30 for his next deal so can do a 5-7 lengthier deak or bigger bucks after tjhs intermediate shorter deal of 3 years ... of course...if they wait to extend Rutta the price could go past what they can afford if he should post big ×/- and or points totals this season ..even more if he he Los us win a Cup this season.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
That also has to depend on how the other guys do. Yeah, like some are mentioning it's 6 games in and he could tail off-or other guys could step it up. That's a given. But if Murphy puts 2 and 2 together and comes up with a number less than 23, can we afford to keep both especially if there's a FWD (like Schmaltz or Panik) who might need to be re-upped.
i still believe that what we are seeing in Rutta is the real thing. he had how many yr playing overseas, so he is establish by my pov. however the ideal value would be 3 yr contract. like this, he would still be young enuf to sign another contract. granted not with chi and by then, maybe some of the younger, drafted prospects will be able to step in.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
i still believe that what we are seeing in Rutta is the real thing. he had how many yr playing overseas, so he is establish by my pov. however the ideal value would be 3 yr contract. like this, he would still be young enuf to sign another contract. granted not with chi and by then, maybe some of the younger, drafted prospects will be able to step in.
Perhaps it is...or perhaps is another Bickell issue (yeah, MS sucks a fatty)--or Olesz. There is a delicate balance between waiting long enough to have a reasonable guess at how a player will pan out (which is longer than 6 games at the NHL level), and waiting so long that they are guaranteed a major upgrade we can't afford.

Plus, what if Rutta is fully going for cashing in as high as he can? It might be a case like Darling--we may not be able to afford him regardless so maybe get something for him in return.

I think if Rutta pans out a Panik-like deal is the sweet spot for him--but there's no need to rush it at this point. The 'hawks need to know if he's more irreplaceable than other guys on their roster due a contract over the course of a season--and that takes more than 1/10th of a season to determine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->