Jan Rutta Contract Extension

What is the max contract you would sign him to before letting him walk? Select 1 term and 1 AAV.

• 1YR

• 2YR

• 3YR

• 4YR

• 5YR

• 6YR

• 7YR

• 8YR

• 1-1.5M

• 1.5-2M

• 2-2.5M

• 2.5-3M

• 3-3.5M

• 3.5-4M

• 4-4.5M

• 4.5-5M

• 5-5.5M

• 5.5-6M

• 6M+

Results are only viewable after voting.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
4 years @ $3-3.5M per seems fair, given that he's a UFA. I doubt that less than 3M AAV will get it done. Way too early to be making this call though.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
4 years @ $3-3.5M per seems fair, given that he's a UFA. I doubt that less than 3M AAV will get it done. Way too early to be making this call though.

Rutta has looked good, but it's 6 games. I don't know how to answer this.

Hence the conundrum. Does Stan assume that Rutta is for real at this early stage and sign him now at a reasonable cap hit, or does he wait? Waiting is likely to cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of $.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Hence the conundrum. Does Stan assume that Rutta is for real at this early stage and sign him now at a reasonable cap hit, or does he wait? Waiting is likely to cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions of $.

You don't wait IMO, you make a call and live with it. If he ends up being a 5M guy in UFA when we could have had him for 3.5M earlier in the year, just let him go and get it right the next time. We need value contracts. We can't pay the going rate for anyone until Seabs is gone.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Erik Gustafsson looked great for a month or so. Should we have signed him for millions?

Obviously the price on Rutta will go up the further he proves himself, but there is substantial risk in throwing out a multi-million dollar contract this soon into his NHL career.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I would think a Panik-like deal would be good. 3 years instead of 2 though.

The fly in the ointment will be if Schamaltz indeed proves to be Kane's sparkplug. We'll have to make sure we can afford him, too.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
A 28 year old legit top 4 RHS D-man in UFA is going to get more attention than Kate Upton at a comic book convention.

You are assuming he is that. It's been 6 games. I hope your right, but your asking the question right now, and I don't know how you can definitively say what he is (or isn't) in the NHL.

Also, regardless of how well he does play this year, he's going to have 1 year of experience at the NHL level. Because of that, he's not going to be getting what most 28 year olds get.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You're assuming the guy he's been is the guy he is. Yea, if he plays like this all year he's getting paid. If he turns into a pumpkin? We've got a bottom pairing guy making 3 millionish.

It's not a risk this team can afford to take.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
You are assuming he is that. It's been 6 games. I hope your right, but your asking the question right now, and I don't know how you can definitively say what he is (or isn't) in the NHL.

Also, regardless of how well he does play this year, he's going to have 1 year of experience at the NHL level. Because of that, he's not going to be getting what most 28 year olds get.

I don't know that I agree with the 1 year theory. I see the logic in it though. You could be right. I agree with both of you that we don't know what he is for sure.

You're assuming the guy he's been is the guy he is. Yea, if he plays like this all year he's getting paid. If he turns into a pumpkin? We've got a bottom pairing guy making 3 millionish.

It's not a risk this team can afford to take.

Well, that's the risk. You risk losing him because we can't afford him if he's this good and hits UFA. You risk overpaying him if he turns into a pumpkin. Bowman needs to find that sweet spot where we know before everybody else does like when we found him in the first place. I agree it is not now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->