Jamie Oleksiak: Starting to deliver on his potential

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Oleksiak (34 games of which Oleksiak played 21)
Goals Allowed: 2.79

After Oleksiak (48 games)
Goals Allowed: 2.56

Unless I missed how 2.56 GAA is now top 5-10, which is stupid btw, top 5 to 10? Pick one, top 5 or top 10, don't say both, that's me saying "I'm one of the top 1-5Billion richest men on the planet"...

i think common sense would point to that meaning from 5th to 10th not top 5 and top 10

Reactions: Kcb12345

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
10 minutes, minus three.. averaging 9 minutes in the playoffs.

What happened Pens fans? I thought he was becoming Chara lol

When the stage gets bigger, and the opposition becomes routinely tougher, players with lower hockey sense tend to get exposed first...the first thing to get taken out from under your feet in a playoff game vs a season game is time. If you know his game well enough (Stars fans largely do), this comes as no surprise.

As usual, I do take exception to most averaging stats, as they are generally not helpful...so I'll say this to actually back your point further:

There were only two competitive games in the series from a score perspective (games 5 and 6 + game 2, where Pittsburgh was in it on the scoresheet thru 2, I suppose), look at 3rd period TOI for Oleksiak:

Game 1 (Pit up 5-0 after 2): 5:18
Game 2 (Phi up 2-0): 2:24
Game 3 (Pit up 4-1): 3:13
Game 4 (Pit up 4-0): 4:32
Game 5 (tied 2-2): 2:58
Game 6 (tied 4-4): 3:29 (2:30 of which came after we had taken a commanding lead for good...he was out there to soak up all the beer)

And that's ok. I had no misconceptions about him at any point, so this is the expected result. For some Pens fans, maybe the ilk that try to convince people that Olli Maatta is bad somehow for instance, this is a shoulder shake...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The thing I find amazing about Pittsburgh is that they tend to turn given up potential into the potential they truly have. They've done it with so many players.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
The thing I find amazing about Pittsburgh is that they tend to turn given up potential into the potential they truly have. They've done it with so many players.
When a guy has been playing for a bad team it gives him a huge boost being moved into a very good organization. It's hard to bring yourself to top competitive level when you're playing for a bad team, or knowing that even if you have the best game of your career, it probably won't make any lasting impact.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
With Oleksiak (34 games of which Oleksiak played 21)
Goals Allowed: 2.79

After Oleksiak (48 games)
Goals Allowed: 2.56

Unless I missed how 2.56 GAA is now top 5-10, which is stupid btw, top 5 to 10? Pick one, top 5 or top 10, don't say both, that's me saying "I'm one of the top 1-5Billion richest men on the planet"...

Here's what we do know as well.

Hitchcock admitted fault in handling Oleksiak and his minutes and his position (side), he admits to failing him.

Dallas barely played the guy at times, 21 games out of the first 34 in varying minutes from 10-18?

He then goes to the Pens, is a +13 (was a -6 for dallas) and mind you, Pens were also struggling for large portions of Jamie's time with us.

So, he wasn't good on a not good team that isn't in the playoffs.
He's been better, on a playoff team and is becoming a vital part of our team's blueline depth.

I still don't get why you guys are so sour. We don't hate him or how he plays, he's actually been very good for us. Oh and the Pens are a better team with him in the line-up, the only crap part is that he needs a better partner. All of his hard work is negated by covering for Ruhwedel's mistakes in the post season so far.
Ranked top 5 for the first half of 2018, then ranked top 10 for the 2nd half (because of the offensive collapse that cost us games post-trade deadline). Not sure what's hard to understand there it's just facts. He got more than enough of a chance here and the trades worked out well for both teams. You guys get a bottom pairing #7 dman and we get a 4th round pick to a dman that should've been on waivers already

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As long as, "deliver on his potential" == 4th round pick #6 d-man which it is for the Pens. He is never going to deliver on his #14 draft pick potential.

You have unrealistic ideas about what a #14 overall pick generally becomes.

Oleksiak is presently playing well in a bottom pairing role, producing, and serving as our heavy when necessary. And that's just the development he's shown in the very little time he's been in Pittsburgh.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Ranked top 5 for the first half of 2018, then ranked top 10 for the 2nd half (because of the offensive collapse that cost us games post-trade deadline). Not sure what's hard to understand there it's just facts. He got more than enough of a chance here and the trades worked out well for both teams. You guys get a bottom pairing #7 dman and we get a 4th round pick to a dman that should've been on waivers already

And yet he's playing like a solid #5, so you get a very late 4th round pick that with your luck, might end up being a player you trade to Florida or someone else anyway after he hasn't panned out in Texas.

In any case, thanks for Oleksiak.

I guess Niskanen was just a #7 too when he was dumped and was a Penguin. And Neal was just a meh 20 goal scorer too.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
And yet he's playing like a solid #5, so you get a very late 4th round pick that with your luck, might end up being a player you trade to Florida or someone else anyway after he hasn't panned out in Texas.

In any case, thanks for Oleksiak.

I guess Niskanen was just a #7 too when he was dumped and was a Penguin. And Neal was just a meh 20 goal scorer too.

Oh no I agree the Niskanen + Neal deal turned out awful for us. Just a horrible trade for us. You wont find any Stars fans mad about the Oleksiak deal though. Worked out fine for both teams in the end.

Reactions: Cletus56

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Pittsburgh is such a good team, they can turn OK players into great players...

I mean its hard to explain why everyone does so well there.

It's really not that hard. Having Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Murray puts a lot less pressure on their teammates, which usually helps people to play better.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Has there been a reclamation project D the Pens haven't been able to salvage?

Niskanen, Daley, Schultz, Hainsey, Ruhwedel, Oleksiak is just latest in a line of any D with any wheels and potential whatsoever working out in that system.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh no I agree the Niskanen + Neal deal turned out awful for us. Just a horrible trade for us. You wont find any Stars fans mad about the Oleksiak deal though. Worked out fine for both teams in the end.

And that's the thing. We're happy with our new player, we are literally not trashing the 4th round pick at all.

We are literally happy with Oleksiak.

But you guys are going out of your way to make it seem like we shouldn't be, like he was the reason for all of your team's problems (not even remotely close).

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Has there been a reclamation project D the Pens haven't been able to salvage?

Niskanen, Daley, Schultz, Hainsey, Ruhwedel, Oleksiak is just latest in a line of any D with any wheels and potential whatsoever working out in that system.

All of those are during a time period where the Pens have two of the best C's in the league, a luxury no other team has which can make D look better than normal. Let's see how well the Pens can "reclaim" D once Crosby and Malkin have regressed or retired.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
And that's the thing. We're happy with our new player, we are literally not trashing the 4th round pick at all.

We are literally happy with Oleksiak.

But you guys are going out of your way to make it seem like we shouldn't be, like he was the reason for all of your team's problems (not even remotely close).

How about "some of you guys" rather than lumping an entire fanbase together. Poor bump job by that Stars fan.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
As long as, "deliver on his potential" == 4th round pick #6 d-man which it is for the Pens. He is never going to deliver on his #14 draft pick potential.

Cool. We gave up a 4th. He's already living up to that.

Why do people want Penguins fans to feel bad about this? We don't.

All of those are during a time period where the Pens have two of the best C's in the league, a luxury no other team has which can make D look better than normal. Let's see how well the Pens can "reclaim" D once Crosby and Malkin have regressed or retired.

Yeah, we do have those two. And we will see how we "reclaim" dmen when they're gone.

But who cares about that right now? It doesn't matter and you sound petty and bitter.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Nah not bitter, I'm just amused by people who think Oleksiak is some hidden gem when virtually any bottom pairing D would have had the same result. Pens could've traded a 7th for Nemeth instead of letting Colorado get him off waivers, and he would look as good or better than Oleksiak right now. The Pens system relies on having superstar centers take a lot of pressure off the D, so it really is the case that almost any D is going to look better after being traded to the Pens.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Nah not bitter, I'm just amused by people who think Oleksiak is some hidden gem when virtually any bottom pairing D would have had the same result. Pens could've traded a 7th for Nemeth instead of letting Colorado get him off waivers, and he would look as good or better than Oleksiak right now. The Pens system relies on having superstar centers take a lot of pressure off the D, so it really is the case that almost any D is going to look better after being traded to the Pens.

Nah, you're just wrong.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad