Jamie/Jordie Benn's Junior B club opts to go with full face shields

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
This will certainly cause some ripples, but it remains to be seen what the long term impacts will be. The Peninsula Panthers of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League are unilaterally choosing to wear full face shields for this season. The remaining eight teams will continue to wear half shields, as the minimum standard laid out by Hockey Canada's rules.

http://www.vicnews.com/sports/peninsula-panthers-to-adopt-full-face-protection-this-hockey-season/

There's not a ton of fighting in the league, although there is the occasional line brawl. So one wonders how it impacts that. One also wonders if this makes players more or less likely to want to play for this team - (Jamie and Jordie Benn both played for the Panthers, but the club typically doesn't typically get the best players in Greater Victoria.)

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
This will certainly cause some ripples, but it remains to be seen what the long term impacts will be. The Peninsula Panthers of the Vancouver Island Junior Hockey League are unilaterally choosing to wear full face shields for this season. The remaining eight teams will continue to wear half shields, as the minimum standard laid out by Hockey Canada's rules.

http://www.vicnews.com/sports/peninsula-panthers-to-adopt-full-face-protection-this-hockey-season/

There's not a ton of fighting in the league, although there is the occasional line brawl. So one wonders how it impacts that. One also wonders if this makes players more or less likely to want to play for this team - (Jamie and Jordie Benn both played for the Panthers, but the club typically doesn't typically get the best players in Greater Victoria.)

Interesting, the VIJHL is a weird league, half the players are there to develop and half are there to live the Jr. B lifestyle. Not appalled by this idea but at the same time I doubt many of the players are stoked on it.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Interesting, the VIJHL is a weird league, half the players are there to develop and half are there to live the Jr. B lifestyle. Not appalled by this idea but at the same time I doubt many of the players are stoked on it.

Yeah, I wonder. A lot of young guys coming out of midget talk tougher than they really are, so they might quietly like the opportunity to save their chiclets. (I'll bet most care more about their teeth than about their eyes because hockey players...) At the same time, hockey moms have a lot of influence in where their boys play at 16/17, so maybe that gives some of the guys not interested in the Jungle B aspect more impetus to head up to Nort Saanich instead of playing for the Cougars.

But on the flip side, players are going to get chirrrrrrrped.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
The day is coming when most junior hockey will go back to the cages. The Ontario Hockey Association went that way this year.

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
Stupidest thing I have ever heard. Lets ban hitting also. Next lets ban sticks as they can be weapons to hurt people. Lets also ban skates as they are sharp and can be used to hurt. Next lets wrap all the players in bubbles and call it love game.
hqdefault.jpg

That team will be full of junior cut rejects and kids that couldn't even make a pee wee team if they 100% do it.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Annnnnnd here's what the long-term impact will be. BC announced today that all junior B teams will be required to wear full face shields beginning next season.

News - BC Hockey

This includes the two teams in the north east that play in the Alberta-based North West Junior Hockey League.

The change will result in a significant drop in insurance cost ($25/player).

Reactions: CrashBartley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->