Confirmed with Link: Jamie Benn Re-signed [8 Years, $9.500M AAV]

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I remember commenting in a thread (can't remember which one) that I was concerned about Benn's giant contract extension before it happened. I could understand Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, etc. But $9.5M is a lot to pay for a guy who hasn't really won anything, other than an Art Ross with 89 pts (which was pretty cool). He deserved to get paid, but wow...

It's kinda hard watching him now captain a team when he isn' even the hardest worker or the most prolific scorer. I imagine those big contracts can weigh guys down even more when they aren' living up to them.

Thoughts?

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
I remember commenting in a thread (can't remember which one) that I was concerned about Benn's giant contract extension before it happened. I could understand Toews, Kane, Crosby, Malkin, etc. But $9.5M is a lot to pay for a guy who hasn't really won anything, other than an Art Ross with 89 pts (which was pretty cool). He deserved to get paid, but wow...

It's kinda hard watching him now captain a team when he isn' even the hardest worker or the most prolific scorer. I imagine those big contracts can weigh guys down even more when they aren' living up to them.

Thoughts?

I believe the Stars are already starting to regret that contract. I shudder to think this is only the 1st year of the 8 year deal. He has to be the worst speaker in front of cameras on the team. I suspect he would play a bit better if he didn't have the weight of the captaincy on his shoulders.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The captain thing doesn’t matter.

What matters is he doesn’t play the punishing style of play that probably peaked in the Olympics gold run. He’s also not nearly as an explosive of a skater as he used to be. We don’t see the breakaways he used to get. I attribute a lot of it to him getting surgeries over consecutive off seasons for hip and hernia problems.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't want to see any more sullen post-game interviews with Jamie. It's ****ing tiring and useless. I care more about what Seguin thinks nowadays because Benn is part of the problem.

I think the explosive skating/breakaway thing has a bit to do with Hitchcock vs Ruff style. However I do agree Jamie looks really bad right now. So many of his points this year are of the invisible variety. I think 90% of the problem is between his ears. His effort is completely lackadaisical.

He should watch game tape of Blake Wheeler. Older player and still getting better. There isn't a GM in the league that would take Benn over Wheeler going forward. Heck, he gets to watch Radulov every night...THAT is what committing looks like.

The contract being in year one is very concerning.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I get bored of Presidents speeches. A year or two in, and they all sound alike. Its a tough gig, and agree Benn isn't the strong suit to do post game. Maybe they could rotate the game comments around the "A" captains to keep it fresh.

On the second goal last night, Jamie just let them skate right into the zone and I predicted to my wife that it would turn into a goal, because stopping play to give the Jets and odd man advantage in the middle of the O zone usually does. A few seconds later, I was proven right. (I really did that, you could ask her)

As to the contract, yeah most evidence shows scorers start to decline at Benn's age. Seems like months since he has scored a goal, or even had more than an occasional puck jack that goes the other direction. In another thread I commented Ritchie and Shore might be hurt by Hitchcock system, Benn is one who should have been unleashed.

Tired? Minor injury problems? Tired of Hitch already? Personal problems? Mad his brother was traded? Mad he's not playing with AR and TS as of late? Or, just declining right on schedule, like most other power forwards his age? Any thoughts?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Tired? Minor injury problems? Tired of Hitch already? Personal problems? Mad his brother was traded? Mad he's not playing with AR and TS as of late? Or, just declining right on schedule, like most other power forwards his age? Any thoughts?

I honestly don't know. It could be all of those except maybe the being mad at not having the first line loaded up. I doubt he's sulking about that. Or at least I hope he's not.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
At this point it wouldn’t matter if we had Karlsson , Nash , or heiskanen . They will still be in the same spot until benn pulls his socks up and pushes himself like he used too .He’s one of the best players in the league when he is going but right now he’s playing like an average forward.Shooting the puck right the goalies chest every time . Making careless little dekes and stupid passes that result in turnovers .He’s basically playing like the old klingberg . I don’t think he’s past his prime , I just think he’s gotta get more motivated somehow. Maybe Hitchcock needs to scratch him too light a fire under his ass .

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I think he's one of the best players in the league when he's angry. Maybe someone has to flirt with his girlfriend in the stands during the game.

Reactions: Ajacied

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I think his hips are still giving him problems. It wouldn’t surprise me if he retires soon.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He has always had that "lazy" look to his game, nothing new here. He needs to pick up the physicality for sure though, but nah I'm not concerned about his contract at all. He just needs to do more leading by example. In the playoffs is where he will shine and always has. You guys are really overreacting here. Jamie has times like this during every season he has been in the NHL...He always has droughts like this and gets out of them eventually and rips the monkey off his back. Happens every year and really makes me question who actually watches this team year in year out because this is how a typical year for Jamie goes (although he needs to be more physical). He will be fine and I'm not concerned about the contract at all especially the cap rises every year. He will have his jersey retired by us one day.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hitch disagrees with you, saying beast mode isn't being more physical, its being harder on the puck. Lately, JB has done a bit of skating, only to have it puck jacked or dribble off his stick, or make a bad pass. Yeah, I am aware we all over react, and maybe it's not a whole lot less than his peak mode, but enough to make a difference in how the Stars play.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I know his contract would be an issue but if we miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round, Nill should seriously consider shopping him, before his production falls off a cliff.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I know his contract would be an issue but if we miss the playoffs or get bounced in the first round, Nill should seriously consider shopping him, before his production falls off a cliff.

That's a ridiculous thing to do. He will retire a Star and his jersey will probably be retired too

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
That's a ridiculous thing to do.

It's not a ridiculous thing if his health issues are likely to get better of him in a few years. Or, if his lack of energy is due to his not wanting to be here sensing that this team- regardless of the efforts (largely reactionary, IMO) that have been taken to address the myriad of issues- is not progressing towards contending status, then it's better to consider moving him before his displeasure becomes public and his value drops as a result.

He will retire a Star and his jersey will probably be retired too

Anything can happen.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
He let a guy waltz around him for a goal against WPG. He let a guy breeze by him for the OT winner last night. Defending Big D says he was at the end of a long shift and out of gas, but he picked up speed to foul the guy after getting beat, so I was a little worried. On a few other occasions, I saw him not even put his stick on the ice when a pass was coming his way. Hasn't scored in a dozen games, although he has had some nice assists.

Something definitely seems wrong with him. Even when he attempts beast mode, he sometimes misses the target, not quite puck jacking someone, etc. No Benn on 4 goals, etc.

Of course, we can't blame him for Bishop's one game on, one game slightly off performances either. Yes, this was the best team in the league, but a few of those goals were softies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad