James van Riemsdyk vs Alex Galchenyuk

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Let's be honest, these are two players where it is fair to judge them primarily based on points.

JVR has proven to be consistent, so I say him until Galchenyuk can put together more than a 1/3 of a season of first line play.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Galchenyuk.

End of 15-16 (from Jan 26th onwards) he had 29 points in 33 games.

Start of 16-17 (until his injury in Dec 4th) he had 23 points in 25 games.

Things didn't go very smoothly after his injury, and the Habs hit a really rough stretch there as well that ultimately led to the coaching change. He then had a hot-streak in late February IIRC but his production overall clearly slowed down.

Im not saying he should be a PPG player next season, but if he doesn't end up between 60-70 pts that's a major disappointment. It's time for him to step up now.

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I can't really think of anything that Galchenyuk does better than JVR.
Similar players, though. Good poll.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Gally will play a bigger role but JVR will probably end up with similar points if not a few more. Good poll. I would rather have Gally so I will say him.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
As a Habs fan I really like JVR, but I think overall Chuck has a few more tools in his box for O and a little less for D. Its close, Chuck at center or RW or JVR if its LW

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Chuck has more value but JVR is the better player right now.

The truth is JVR never reached his full potential (he wasted some prime developmental years playing under Wilson/Carlysle), but he's still a very good offensive player. He should ideally be sheltered with a strong, 2-way centerman.

As a player, Chuck is very similar to JVR. JVR is a better skater. Chuck has a better shot. JVR has better hands and is a superior finisher. Chuck is a better playmaker.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Chuck has more value but JVR is the better player right now.

The truth is JVR never reached his full potential (he wasted some prime developmental years playing under Wilson/Carlysle), but he's still a very good offensive player. He should ideally be sheltered with a strong, 2-way centerman.

As a player, Chuck is very similar to JVR. JVR is a better skater. Chuck has a better shot. JVR has better hands and is a superior finisher. Chuck is a better playmaker.

Jvr has better hands than Galchenyuk? A better finisher...maybe in the crease area only...not sure hes a better skater either as theyre both rather unimpressive

One thing that sticks out to me is that jvr can use his size better. Maybe the skating is the only other thing i'd give him over Galchenyuk, but hands and finisher? No.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->