Value of: James Reimer

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Carolina are reportedly considering moving a goalie to open up some capspace for a forward.

What sort of return would Reimer get?

Fwiw Adrian Dater claims that Colorado have had talks about him.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
2nd and a depth player like Campbell returned? Maybe just a pick since he'll be a UFA this year
That seems like a huge overpayment. At that price Avs would aim higher, like Bernier who is better and cheaper and who may be available for a 3rd.

Considering that there aren't many teams who need a backup AND who can take on Reimers full caphit without sending money back, something like a 5th seems more reasonable to me, though I'm happy to be told otherwise if that's off base. Avs could also send back Miska or Werner if Carolina need an AHL goalie in return.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs could only get a 4th when they traded him, and I thought he was still a good goalie that was the year (.918) when we came in last place, and they sold off at the deadline.

Reactions: NHL WAR

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
mid-late round pick at best is my guess. Unless Carolina trades for a goalie though, can't see them moving Reimer. Mrazek isn't back yet so they only have Reimer and Nedeljkovic. Once Mrazek is back, I feel they'll want to make sure he's really back and playing well before moving anyone.

They also have enough banked cap space to add a forward without moving a goalie so it's not required.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
He's worth more to Carolina than in a trade. There is no reason to send him to the Avs for a 5th round pick and risk a goalie going down with injury.

Does a team contending for a Cup this year need a 5th round pick more or a capable, veteran 3rd goalie more?

Unless the Canes acquire a different goalie. In which case moving Reimer is just about clearing Cap space and they would likely be happy to make that swap.

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
That seems like a huge overpayment. At that price Avs would aim higher, like Bernier who is better and cheaper and who may be available for a 3rd.

Considering that there aren't many teams who need a backup AND who can take on Reimers full caphit without sending money back, something like a 5th seems more reasonable to me, though I'm happy to be told otherwise if that's off base. Avs could also send back Miska or Werner if Carolina need an AHL goalie in return.
Leafs tried upgrading from Reims to Bernier. didnt work out

the Chad Kilger

Apr 30, 2020
do
He's worth more to Carolina than in a trade. There is no reason to send him to the Avs for a 5th round pick and risk a goalie going down with injury.

Does a team contending for a Cup this year need a 5th round pick more or a capable, veteran 3rd goalie more?

Unless the Canes acquire a different goalie. In which case moving Reimer is just about clearing Cap space and they would likely be happy to make that swap.
don't the canes need to play Ned in order to keep him from becoing a FA

Reactions: Tryamw

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I just don’t see the Canes dealing a goalie, but there’s also a lot of noise about it. I imagine it’s more to do with other teams, like COL, asking about Reimer/Nedeljkovic versus the Canes shopping anyone.

The one out of nowhere move I could maybe see would be Nedeljkovic as piece in a larger package for a top 6 forward with term.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Canes have plenty of cap space without needing to deal a player .

Right, but they also have not really ever shown confidence in Nedeljkovic. They’ve only given him starts in past seasons as well as this one out of necessity. They were willing to risk losing him for nothing prior to the season.

If Mrazek comes back and looks good, I wonder if the Canes think now is the time to sell high on Nedeljkovic. I don’t necessarily agree with that line of thinking, but we’ll see.

If a goalie is dealt, I think they’d deal Reimer. I don’t see the utility there, in dealing him for a 3rd/4th or whatever, but that makes the most sense to me. I’d prefer they keep all 3, they have the assets to upgrade up front and on the backend without having to deal a goalie.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
do

don't the canes need to play Ned in order to keep him from becoing a FA

Can't the Canes play Ned while still having Reimer on the bench or press box?

The Canes would want Reimer around as a backup (or backup-backup) goalie for the same reason that Colorado would. The Canes don't need the Cap space currently. Reimer was 2-1 with a 0.934 SV% and 2.33 GAA last Playoffs.

Reactions: DaveG

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The canes gm has openly said he might trade a goalie to try to get a RHD.

Why are people saying it doesn’t make sense. When he himself has said it

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The canes gm has openly said he might trade a goalie to try to get a RHD.

Why are people saying it doesn’t make sense. When he himself has said it

Probably because the Canes GM has made statements before that weren't exactly truthful (99% sure Fox will sign, no issue getting Aho signed/aren't that far apart, etc...) so we never are sure what is valid and what is posturing.

Right now they have only 2 healthy goalies that are NHL caliber, and one of them (Nedeljkovic) has a grand total of 18 NHL games to his resume.

EDIT: and here was his last comment on it. Not exactly a firm statement of what they may or may not do:

If we’re gonna do something at the trade deadline, maybe one of the chips is one of our goalies. I can’t say which one. It depends. But, you know, I think as you look at the way the schedule is and, hopefully going deep in the playoffs, you’d think you’d want to have three goalies. So I think this is a good problem to have, and we’ll find a way to keep three goalies on the roster if we need to.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Canes have plenty of cap space without needing to deal a player .
The Canes have plenty of space...at the deadline. If they are looking to take a fairly big contract earlier than the deadline, they may need to move a player due to that deadline space not fully accruing prior to the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad