Jakub Voracek #1 at ISS

blah

Jun 24, 2003
I don't see how it can be, if the list is based purely on talent.

OilerOlli*

Social talent?
Not that unimporttant when you have to play with other teamates together...

blah

Jun 24, 2003
I didn't say it wasn't important. I just don't think attributes like attitude fit on list where players are ranked solely on their ability to play hockey. On a mock draft, yes, attitude can increase or decrease a players' ranking. This isn't a mock draft.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
So attitude for examplel doesn't matter in your lists?
Everybody knows that Aliu for example won't be picked in the first, and pobably not even in the 2nd round...because of his suspension and problems with ius teammates etc.

No, I didn't say that. Attitude does matter. It is a talent.

How can you be so certain Aliu won't be drafted in first round? Some people said the same thing about Steve Downie and Philadelphia took him in the first round. We're not saying Aliu will go in the first round. We're saying he's a first-round talent -- even with his off-ice problems which haven't really been accurately conveyed in the media to my knowledge.

Some team might take a chance on Aliu way before you think they will. Nothing is certain at an NHL draft until the pick is made. Several teams have two first-round picks. In our mock, we'd consider that. A team might be willing to take a more risky pick with their second choice. A Russian, an Aliu. We certainly aren't going to predict it -- yet -- but you have to admit, it is possible.

Late addition: The risk factor with Russians I referred to is simply because of the lack of a transfer agreement between the NHL and the Russian Hockey Federation.

Last edited:

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Question for ISS:

At this point, do you see any "tiers" in the draft?

The general consensus I've seen, at this point, seems to indicate that the top 4 are starting to separate, do you agree that there is a clear divide between 4 and 5 OV, or do you think it's more of a gradual thing with Van Riemsdyk not being significantly behind the (perceived) top 4?

Yes, there are definitely tiers that have developed, but there is still movement and I suspect certain players can still move up or down based on their play at the world under-18s. vanRiemsdyk is one of those players. We're excited to see #3 Cherepanov, #4 Turris, #5 vanRiemsdyk, #8 Mayorov, #10 Couture, #11 Esposito, #12 Gillies and #14 Andersson all competing in an 11-day tournament against the best -- or many of the best -- of their peers and each other. We'll have several scouts at this event to solidify our rankings before our draft preview.

As for the clear divide you alluded to, I think there is one, but I think it's a little lower in the pecking order. Say around 10 or 11. Guys like Logan Couture, Karl Alzner, and Sam Gagner and vanRiemsdyk are great hockey players. They might not be as good as those ranked higher, but they still have great upside and they still have lots of development time left -- especially vanRiemsdyk, Gagner and Couture as they are just 17, while Alzner is 18.

Kaktus*

What is so great about vanRiemsdyk? Why is he rated so high? Well besides his size.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Another question for ISS:

Are there worries that a guy like Turris will be overanalyzed based on a small number of games at the U-18's?

Obviously it'll be great for scouts to see him playing against better competition, but would a "bad" tournament drop him lower than it probably should?

Last edited:

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
I've said it earlier in March that Jakub Voracek is an absolute beast and that he will be easilly the number#1 overall !! He's the complete package and he confirmed that in this year Q's playoffs by domintating the game !!

Voracek >> Kane

You guys can read it here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=363208

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
Oh, man. Voracek looks really good. I had my eye on him in the beginning of the season, and kept following him even when he got bounced up and down. I don't think you can go wrong with this kid.

My purely biased top five is:

1)Voracek
2)Turris
3)Kane
4)Cherepanov
5)Alzner

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Another question for ISS:

Are there worries that a guy like Turris will be overanalyzed based on a small number of games at the U-18's?

Obviously it'll be great for scouts to see him playing against better competition, but would a "bad" tournament drop him lower than it probably should?

Worries? That might not be the best word. The only people who should be worried about that are Turris, his agent and maybe a team hoping he'll slip a few spots in the draft.

There is always the chance a player can "stink it up" but this deep into the season it would have to be a really putrid performance to cause a player to drop very far. We've had Turris high in our rankings without seeing him play against major junior competition. If he doesn't have a great tournament, I don't think he'll fall. If anything, drastic happens, it will be because he has a great tournament and somebody decides to make him No. 1. Just my opinion, but we'll see what happens.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Well, I respect your arguments but I must admit I disagree with some rankings in the first round.

Of course , Bill Sweatt is older than most 07 prospects, but still , he's so fast , did so well at WJC, he's imo a top 15.

You guys could be very surprise to see Jonathan Blum going way before expected.

That being said,good list nevertheless

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Anybody know a link to a page where i can find Turris' production in BCHL this year, Hockeydb.com doesnt show it...

Last edited:

Trashers fans

Aug 19, 2004
David Perron: 1988-05-28

70games 39goals 44passes 83pts

Jakub Voracek: 1989-08-15

59games 23goals 63passes 86pts

Do you see the difference now?

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
David Perron: 1988-05-28

70games 39goals 44passes 83pts

Jakub Voracek: 1989-08-15

59games 23goals 63passes 86pts

Do you see the difference now?

True that Perron is a year older but, to his defense, he wasn't playing in the Q last year. With that said, Voracek is bigger and stronger and an overall better player than Perron. Those are the main differences.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Well, I respect your arguments but I must admit I disagree with some rankings in the first round.

Of course , Bill Sweatt is older than most 07 prospects, but still , he's so fast , did so well at WJC, he's imo a top 15.

You guys could be very surprise to see Jonathan Blum going way before expected.

That being said,good list nevertheless

I'll see if I can talk to some of our scouts and get some more feedback for you and others on our ranking of Sweatt. Can't promise anything, but I'll try.

As for Blum, we had him at #15 last month and he just dropped a tick to #16. Alex Plante and he traded spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad