Player Discussion Jakub Nakladal

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Eagerly anticipating the day he signs an extension with the Flames.

He's stuck in David Schlemko territory. We have six defensemen under contract:

Gio/Brodie/Hamilton
Wideman
Smid/Engelland

Plus an irrational love affair with Kris Russell could make seven. Plus Tyler Wotherspoon will have to clear waivers next season too.

In order to extend Nakladal they need to move a body AND not re-sign Russell.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Gio/Brodie/Hamilton
Wideman
Smid/Engelland

Plus an irrational love affair with Kris Russell could make seven. Plus Tyler Wotherspoon will have to clear waivers next season too.

To add to that thought Calgary needs to move out salary to sign Johnny and Sean as well as sign a couple free agents. If Calgary wants to be in on the Loui Eriksson or Okposo discussions Wideman and one of Smid or Engelland has to go.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011

Gio/Brodie/Hamilton
Wideman
Smid/Engelland

Depending on how things work out, they shouldn't have an issue.

I've heard that if Wideman's suspension is reduced and he's back before the deadline, he will be traded. I've heard rumblings that they had a deal in place before he got suspended.

Russell is as good as gone and if Smid's injury is neck/head related, my guess is, he will retire.

moon*

With Nakladal I could go either way with signing him.

He has looked ok at best in his short time here and doesn't look like a guy that has a role on a contending team.

But I guess if we are stuck with Smid and Wideman along with the good defensemen we have (Gio, Brodie, Hamilton, Engelland) then there really isn't a spot for him and the more impressive Wotherspoon.

If he is willing to take a deal/role that he has this year then sure why not it is a low risk move for a guy that can fill that 7th/8th role but for me with the young guys we have that should be getting more looks (Wotherspoon, Kulak) in the NHL and others that will need AHL time (Culkin, Kylington, Andersson, Hickey) I am sure there is much need for him.

If he were 23 and not 27 I would probably have a lot more time for him but at his age and experience it is hard to imagine that there is much more to his game that he hasn't shown yet.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011

I've heard that if Wideman's suspension is reduced and he's back before the deadline, he will be traded. I've heard rumblings that they had a deal in place before he got suspended.

Russell is as good as gone and if Smid's injury is neck/head related, my guess is, he will retire.
Smid was favoring his hand/arm when he left the game. Not sure if he has had previous issues with that though.

As for Nak, I thought last night was easily his best game yet. He's got a bomb and will be scoring goals in no time. Even Johnny was feeding him a few one-timers. I would like to see more of him over the next couple games, but if he keeps trending the way he has, it'd be great to re-sign him after letting the other dead weight go.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've liked him a Wotherspoon, honestly.

It's exactly what you want from your bottom pair. Doesn't hurt you on the ice, brings something else to his game (Point Bomb) and of course, cheap.

I'd like Calgary to give the guy a little extension for about 1 million. He's a good skater and even a little physical. I have no complaints about Wotherspoon or Nak.

Could we please move Smido and not sign Russell. Please?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It's exactly what you want from your bottom pair. Doesn't hurt you on the ice, brings something else to his game (Point Bomb) and of course, cheap.

I'd like Calgary to give the guy a little extension for about 1 million. He's a good skater and even a little physical. I have no complaints about Wotherspoon or Nak.

THe FLames could probably re-sign him for 700k is they give him a 1way deal

HAKAN LOOB

Oct 5, 2013

He's not cross checking dudes in front of the net hard enough, but it's nice to actually see a Flames d-man try and clear the crease for a change.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Honestly, probably an average third pairing D-man, but if we re-sign him, it will be the first time in a while we haven't spent at least 3 million on one of those :P

(T-Spoon, Schlemko, Diaz not included ;) )

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The rumblings have been from Friedman, who stated the Flames were talking to teams, but nothing was close, and interested team pulled back once the suspension was announced. A deal in place sounds like the internet telephone game at work.

Would be nice to get out of Wideman's contract/play but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Better chance he gets moved at the deadline than by Monday.

And Smid will be either have to be bought out or placed on LTIR for the entire year if he can't play.
Not chance Smid retires, regardless of the severity of his injury. Don't know why people even think that's an option. If he can't play, he'll be LTIR'd until his contract runs out because retiring would mean forgoing the remaining 4M in actual salary left on the deal. The fact that he also makes more in real money than his cap hit also makes him virtually untradeable.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
It's always about opportunity and I like Nakladal. Bring him back and try to move Engelland - probably $800,000 vs. $2.9 million comparison for a 13-14 minute dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->