Value of: Jakob Silfverberg at the Draft.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I’d really like him in STL. Would you guys prefer a prospect like Thompson or Blais + a pick? Or a roster player like Berglund/Sobotka+pick?
Can you tell me a little bit more about Thompson's game? He's the most intriguing player there. We're fine at center so not interested in Berglund or Sobotka but maybe you have other roster players that would fit better?

Chubbinz

Nov 1, 2016
Can you tell me a little bit more about Thompson's game? He's the most intriguing player there. We're fine at center so not interested in Berglund or Sobotka but maybe you have other roster players that would fit better?

Good shot and hands, pretty decent wheels. Only issue is he's a string bean at this point and needs to fill out his frame a to help win battles for the puck or hold off defenders. Due to the never ending injury train in STL this past season he got thrown into the NHL level when he really should have been polishing his game in the AHL.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

He was rushed to the NHL this year due to injuries/positional need. He’s got a wicked shot/one timer, and his floor seems to be a RHS Berglund. He’s got pretty decent speed, he’s tall(needs to put on 10-15 lbs this summer), and projects as a 2RW. Drafted as a C and spent some time there in the AHL this year.

I mentioned Berglund/Sobotka as a hockey/change of scenery(for both) type trade. Berglund is honestly better at LW, and I knew at one point that was a position of need.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think the Kes line was too good last year to give up on it. Kesler not being even close to 100% this year definitely hurt. I still picture that line as a very important piece to the puzzle if the Ducks want to make another run.

Ducks free up like 6M in cap space with not bringing back the dead weight in the likes of Vermette/Chimera/Kelly etc. I don't think they need to do anything groundbreaking up front, only add some youth and a 4th line that can actually skate and chip in.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
He was rushed to the NHL this year due to injuries/positional need. He’s got a wicked shot/one timer, and his floor seems to be a RHS Berglund. He’s got pretty decent speed, he’s tall(needs to put on 10-15 lbs this summer), and projects as a 2RW. Drafted as a C and spent some time there in the AHL this year.

I mentioned Berglund/Sobotka as a hockey/change of scenery(for both) type trade. Berglund is honestly better at LW, and I knew at one point that was a position of need.
Good shot and hands, pretty decent wheels. Only issue is he's a string bean at this point and needs to fill out his frame a to help win battles for the puck or hold off defenders. Due to the never ending injury train in STL this past season he got thrown into the NHL level when he really should have been polishing his game in the AHL.
I'd probably take Tage for Silfverberg.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Would definitely welcome him on the Blues. He'd be a great fit for our #2 RW spot. I'm not sure I like the idea of moving Thompson for 1 year of anybody, but it's a starting point for sure.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
not happening. Bennett might get traded this offseason but there is simply no way the difference between him and silv is a first. I certainly think Silvf has slightly more value, even though Bennett plays a really hardnosed game and still has lots of potential, but hard pass on a 1st

Yes, there is only “slightly more value” between the guy who scored 23 goals last year and the one who had 26 points in each of the last two seasons :facepalm:

You would have thought Calgary’s struggles this year would have finally made their fans stop brutally overrating their players, but guess not...

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Yes, there is only “slightly more value” between the guy who scored 23 goals last year and the one who had 26 points in each of the last two seasons :facepalm:

You would have thought Calgary’s struggles this year would have finally made their fans stop brutally overrating their players, but guess not...
I certainly do not overestimate the value of Sam Bennett, I am not a big fan of his and he likely is what he is. a 30ish piont player playing on the third line, but the difference between him and Silv is not a 1st round pick. Bennett also gets almost 0 top six time like silv does, they are not too far different as players, but as I said silv is the better player right now.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Would definitely welcome him on the Blues. He'd be a great fit for our #2 RW spot. I'm not sure I like the idea of moving Thompson for 1 year of anybody, but it's a starting point for sure.

He’d for sure get re-signed. Would be a solid fit with Schwartz-Schenn until a prospect takes that spot. If Thomas ends up in that 2RW spot(instead of 3C), a Steen-Berglund-Silvferberg 3rd line would be a great shutdown line. All Swedes too ;)

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago

As an outsider... Silfverberg is definitely a better player than Bennett right now, but he's also 27 and signed for just 1 more season. Bennett is 21 and under team control for 4 more years. At Bennett's age, Silfverberg was still playing in Sweden. There is more to consider in that exchange than points.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Not interested in Sobotka and Berglund is signed way too long. Anything else you'd add to the 1st?

Sammy Blais? He may have been a 6th rd. pick, but he had a late growth spurt(now 6’2 205), and has been very good in the AHL at a very young age. He wasn’t bad in his chance with the Blues this year, either. Only 21 still as well.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Not interested in Sobotka and Berglund is signed way too long. Anything else you'd add to the 1st?

From the current NHL roster? There really isn't much the Blues would move that would likely be of interest. Barbashev, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo, Berglund, Sobotka. Maybe Steen in a bigger deal. There isn't much surplus talent at the NHL level on this team right now. Fabbri isn't out of the question, but he's such a question mark given his last two years of injuries that his value is pretty unknown.

I think a futures package is the best option for the Blues right now, all things considered.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Any roster player you'd be willing to add to the first?
He was set back by a shoulder injury this year, but i'd be willing to include Zach Sanford. Big, young, prospect who will be playing in the NHL next year. Middle6 upside.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Yeah you could add Sanford to my list above. He hasn't shown much yet in limited NHL playing time, but he seems to have decent upside still. The team seems pretty high on him anyway.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sammy Blais? He may have been a 6th rd. pick, but he had a late growth spurt(now 6’2 205), and has been very good in the AHL at a very young age. He wasn’t bad in his chance with the Blues this year, either. Only 21 still as well.

From the current NHL roster? There really isn't much the Blues would move that would likely be of interest. Barbashev, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Bortuzzo, Berglund, Sobotka. Maybe Steen in a bigger deal. There isn't much surplus talent at the NHL level on this team right now. Fabbri isn't out of the question, but he's such a question mark given his last two years of injuries that his value is pretty unknown.

I think a futures package is the best option for the Blues right now, all things considered.
I'd probably do either Thompson straight up, or 1st + Blais.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogliano-Kesler-Thompson
Kase-Henrique-Perry
Ritchie-Kossila-Roy/Terry

or

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Blais-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Terry/Roy
Ritchie-Kossila-Eaves

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I'd probably do either Thompson straight up, or 1st + Blais.

Rakell-Getzlaf-Eaves
Cogliano-Kesler-Thompson
Kase-Henrique-Perry
Ritchie-Kossila-Roy/Terry

or

Rakell-Getzlaf-Perry
Blais-Henrique-Kase
Cogliano-Kesler-Terry/Roy
Ritchie-Kossila-Eaves

Either works with me. Seems like a deal we’d both benefit from.

Fabbri-TBA-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Silfverberg
Steen-Thomas-Berglund
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov

or

Fabbri-TBA-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thomas/Kyrou
Steen-Berglund-Silfverberg
Barbashev-Brodziak-Soshnikov

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
We do not want Bennet , Silferburg yes . Maybe Zuuc for Silferburg

So we trade the guy we have that's due a raise we can't afford to give him for your older guy who's due a raise we can't afford? .... why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad