Jake's next contract

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Might as well start the discussion. Jake has one more year to go on his deal, I believe. How much does he get on the next one? Between him and Rust needing a new deal, I don't see how they hold on to Hagelin. There's only so much space to go around.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Might as well start the discussion. Jake has one more year to go on his deal, I believe. How much does he get on the next one? Between him and Rust needing a new deal, I don't see how they hold on to Hagelin. There's only so much space to go around.

I’m thinking 5 million and just playing around on capfriendly keeping Hagelin is possible if they really want him.

harmonica

Apr 21, 2007
I'd offer Guentzel something close to 5x5 this offseason, and I'd try to get rust at something like 4 years, $3 million per.

This is what I am thinking as well. Rust definitely gets a deal similar to Sheary. I think Jake takes that deal, even though he can probably get more. We definitely have the ability to get these signings done with who will be coming off the books and the cap increasing. Hell, I am not even worried about signing Murray in addition. For me the biggest concern is what young cheap players will be able to fill in our other holes. Hopefully Sprong and Bellerive pan out as NHLers, because we will need them. Then there is the question of where we sit with Brassard in another year.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Hes getting paid.. but fortunately for us it will be far less then what he is worth. Thats the Penguin effect. Most of the league still ignores the guy - even though hes outproduced and outperformed their favorite guys. So that universal effect means he'll probably get less then he should, and the Pens will get to hold on to him and continue dominating.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Usually I like the 2-3 year option and keeping them RFA after their deal ( bridge deal as they call )
not sure it would be a wise decision here if Jake keeps palying like this
I'd go even 6 or 7 years if the cap hit could be lowered

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Hes getting paid.. but fortunately for us it will be far less then what he is worth. Thats the Penguin effect. Most of the league still ignores the guy - even though hes outproduced and outperformed their favorite guys. So that universal effect means he'll probably get less then he should, and the Pens will get to hold on to him and continue dominating.

I know guys want to get paid, but for players like Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Murray is there a reason to wanting out for that extra million?
As long as Geno and Sid are around, I think keeping the guys around at a lower cost should be pretty easy.
Even last year we were able to keep Schulzt around for a cheap 1 year deal and I still think we signed him for a lot less than what he would have cost on the market

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Sheary is the easy choice for me. Hags should cost us less than his current AAV.

200.gif

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Tyler Johnson deal...8 yr 5mil

Also wonder if this could have been a reason they didnt play Sprong yet..delaying his bigger contract

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Tyler Johnson deal...8 yr 5mil

Also wonder if this could have been a reason they didnt play Sprong yet..delaying his bigger contract

Johnson's deal was 7 years. He signed his extension at the end of the 2016-2017 season. Similar playoff history. More accomplished during the regular season and for a longer time.

That said, I think that may be your benchmark. Maybe you get lucky and pull off something closer to 4.5M than 5M annually.

As for Sprong, his contract status has nothing to do with why he isn't on the big club.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that Rust may cost you closer to 3M, but maybe not.

That said, someone will have to go to keep Rust. Sheary or Hags. I hope the Pens choose wisely . . .

Do we have to lose a body to keep Rust if the cap goes up to 78m?

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Move Sheary, and it's fine.

I guess Sheary has some value, but I can't imagine it's much. Maybe send him to Phoenix for a middling pick? His scoring is just so inconsistent, and he doesn't bring anything but scoring. But I suppose a goal-starved team that wants some playoff experience might do it for cheap.

Edit, maybe I'm just spoiled in Pittsburgh in terms of the scoring, but I'd much rather be able to bring back Hags.

Reactions: KIRK

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think that Rust may cost you closer to 3M, but maybe not.

That said, someone will have to go to keep Rust. Sheary or Hags. I hope the Pens choose wisely . . .

Probably have to go with the one who brings on the best return in a trade. Sheary would be my bet
I could see Hags sticking around for one of those "home town discounts"

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I guess Sheary has some value, but I can't imagine it's much. Maybe send him to Phoenix for a middling pick? His scoring is just so inconsistent, and he doesn't bring anything but scoring. But I suppose a goal-starved team that wants some playoff experience might do it for cheap.

Edit, maybe I'm just spoiled in Pittsburgh in terms of the scoring, but I'd much rather be able to bring back Hags.
Sheary and Sprong for Domi and something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad