Prospect Info: Jake Walman

Jordeau

Aug 8, 2014
St. Louis
Jake Walman is up to 9 points (1+8) in 25 games now for Providence College, scoring his first goal over the weekend. It seems like he's starting to pick up some points after a relatively slow start. He also has 62 shots and is a +3. Seems pretty solid for a freshman.

Has anyone seen him play yet this season?

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I know him personally and we work out together so I get to see him quiet a bit (or used to at least, back when he was in Toronto pre-draft). If anyone has any questions for him I can text him and probably get them answered.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I know him personally and we work out together so I get to see him quiet a bit (or used to at least, back when he was in Toronto pre-draft). If anyone has any questions for him I can text him and probably get them answered.

Something something Jankowski best player in the 2012 draft.

Good opportunity, hopefully someone has a good question on here.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I took the time to watch the Providence game last night verses Notre Dame. He has a long long way to go on a one game view. Made some good passes and looked to have a decent shot. Made a few good defensive plays. Made the key blunder for Notre Dame's second goal in place he shouldn't have. Needs more strength. Better reads. Needs to not force plays. Seemed like he got beat a few times based on his body position to commit left or right rather than letting the play come to him. I can't compare him to anyone that I've seen at a view. He didn't look out of place, and he was a Freshman getting lots of ice time. He's probably going to be at Providence all 4 years to develop his entire game.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Quick bump.

So he could play for either team? He seems to be a quick riser, Jr. A to NCAA championship to WJC conversation in just over a year.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I took the time to watch the Providence game last night verses Notre Dame. He has a long long way to go on a one game view. Made some good passes and looked to have a decent shot. Made a few good defensive plays. Made the key blunder for Notre Dame's second goal in place he shouldn't have. Needs more strength. Better reads. Needs to not force plays. Seemed like he got beat a few times based on his body position to commit left or right rather than letting the play come to him. I can't compare him to anyone that I've seen at a view. He didn't look out of place, and he was a Freshman getting lots of ice time. He's probably going to be at Providence all 4 years to develop his entire game.

Haven't watch the game against Notre Dame, but he played pretty well in the national championship game. Did a good job handling Eichel's line. +1 for the game.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Haven't watch the game against Notre Dame, but he played pretty well in the national championship game. Did a good job handling Eichel's line. +1 for the game.

I really think he will be a player. He had a very good freshman year. I still think he has a lot of work to do strength wise and defensively. I'm looking forward to seeing how he progresses. I see top 4 potential.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
does anyone have any updates on Walman and his development? be nice if the Blues had one farm team versus having their prospects spread out over a few different teams.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
does anyone have any updates on Walman and his development? be nice if the Blues had one farm team versus having their prospects spread out over a few different teams.
I'll go back to last summer. Traverse City Tournament he played exceptionally well. Prospect camp he played well also. I personally thought he was the odds on favorite to win the 3RD position going into camp and was a total dumpster fire. He was quite literally awful in camp. He showed some of the flashes of why he's been so successful with some great rushes up the ice and a couple of nice bombs from the point, but he looked like he was handling the puck with a pool noodle. Constantly misplaying it, making terrible decisions with the puck, pinching when he should've stayed home, staying home when he should've pinched, falling down several times on pivots....everything. Vince Dunn outplayed him badly and won the job and hasn't looked back.

I can't really comment on his AHL season as I haven't seen many games. Production is not what I'd hoped for, but he's been injured, scratched, and moved to another organization so I'm willing to cut him some slack this season. Hopefully his experience this year in camp will be helpful going forward and calm him down so he can really show off his ability in training camp. He just turned 22 less than a month ago so I still have high hopes for him, but I would not classify this season as a step in the right direction for him, though it's an important one in the long run. Probably the first time in his life he was truly challenged. We'll see how he responds next year.

EDIT: Looking back at it, I didn't realize how insanely productive Thompson was in Traverse City last year. Tournament leader in scoring and compliments from Jax about his PK ability. Have not been very impressed with him lately, but that's a good reminder of how good he can be. Outscored DeBrincat in the same tournament. That's pretty impressive.

Reactions: PelleLindbergh

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
^ You'd be in the minority then if you thought he was the favorite to win a spot.

People were all over him because of Traverse and just chose to forget about Dunn who lit up the AHL. Dunn was always ahead of him and has shown why this season.

Walman isn't even that likely to make the team out of camp next season anymore either unless we move a couple players out.

He still has a solid future, but could also be trade bait. We'll see what the team decides to do. Ideally he marinates in the AHL until Bouwmeester is done.

PelleLindbergh

Feb 13, 2018
I'll go back to last summer. Traverse City Tournament he played exceptionally well. Prospect camp he played well also. I personally thought he was the odds on favorite to win the 3RD position going into camp and was a total dumpster fire. He was quite literally awful in camp. He showed some of the flashes of why he's been so successful with some great rushes up the ice and a couple of nice bombs from the point, but he looked like he was handling the puck with a pool noodle. Constantly misplaying it, making terrible decisions with the puck, pinching when he should've stayed home, staying home when he should've pinched, falling down several times on pivots....everything. Vince Dunn outplayed him badly and won the job and hasn't looked back.

I can't really comment on his AHL season as I haven't seen many games. Production is not what I'd hoped for, but he's been injured, scratched, and moved to another organization so I'm willing to cut him some slack this season. Hopefully his experience this year in camp will be helpful going forward and calm him down so he can really show off his ability in training camp. He just turned 22 less than a month ago so I still have high hopes for him, but I would not classify this season as a step in the right direction for him, though it's an important one in the long run. Probably the first time in his life he was truly challenged. We'll see how he responds next year.

EDIT: Looking back at it, I didn't realize how insanely productive Thompson was in Traverse City last year. Tournament leader in scoring and compliments from Jax about his PK ability. Have not been very impressed with him lately, but that's a good reminder of how good he can be. Outscored DeBrincat in the same tournament. That's pretty impressive.

Thanks for the well put together reply!! I can see from his stats it is not the season he was hoping to have and be a potential callup for the Blues, and being loaned from one farm team to another, but yeah I agree with your assessment and how he responds next year will be either good or not so much for him, and like you I have high hopes for him too.

Reactions: simon in canada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad