Value of: Jake Dotchin

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I could see him added to a deal with one of our forwards for a top 4 RD in the summer. A Johnson/Miller/Killorn/Palat + Dotchin type deal so the other team is more willing to move a RD as they get back a serviceable guy back in the deal.

yzerman would deal him for a 2nd or 3rd rounder

Both of these sound about right: he’ll either be a throw-in as part of a bigger deal or bring back something around a 2nd or 3rd on his own.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
If, for example, Gustav Olofsson is worth a late third as mentioned in the thread, and Mike Reilly returns a third, no way Dotchin goes for more than a 4/5th.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd throw a low pick for him, mostly to ensure Lou doesnt re-sign Polak. It gives Babcock his tough and physical D who cant really play hockey well. At least Dotchin can skate and is almost a decade younger.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If, for example, Gustav Olofsson is worth a late third as mentioned in the thread, and Mike Reilly returns a third, no way Dotchin goes for more than a 4/5th.

Really? I remember Tampa fans seeming to be high on him early in the season, wasn't he playing with Hedman? I guess with McDonagh and eventually Foote he becomes a little redundant but 4th/5th seems real low

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Really? I remember Tampa fans seeming to be high on him early in the season, wasn't he playing with Hedman? I guess with McDonagh and eventually Foote he becomes a little redundant but 4th/5th seems real low

He was good early and then something happened where he was an anchor. I still think he can be good but he likely wont be given the time or patience necessary to be good here. I could see us trading him for whatever we could get. He still has value to a team needing some more young RHD who you can plug into your lineup now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

We weren't really high on him. We were high on how Hedman played when paired with him. But Dotchin's warts wound up being too much to handle in such a big role. He barely ever cracks the line up now.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
We weren't really high on him. We were high on how Hedman played when paired with him. But Dotchin's warts wound up being too much to handle in such a big role. He barely ever cracks the line up now.

But do you think that's more because he's fallen off, or that your D has improved?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He was good early and then something happened where he was an anchor. I still think he can be good but he likely wont be given the time or patience necessary to be good here. I could see us trading him for whatever we could get. He still has value to a team needing some more young RHD who you can plug into your lineup now.

Fair, I really do think Leafs would have some interest in him. At least he can skate and puck handle a little better than Polak and Babcock loves his grit

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He has played almost exclusively with Hedman, and was great at it down the stretch last year but hasn’t looked as good this year. He’s basically 9th on our defense depth chart right now as coaching prefers Sustr. And even Sustr doesn’t play.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Fair, I really do think Leafs would have some interest in him. At least he can skate and puck handle a little better than Polak and Babcock loves his grit

He might just need a scenery change. I like him honestly. We could use that Dotchin that we saw early in the season right now. Would enable us to put Coburn back with Girardi who played well together. But like I said I dont know what happened to him because at some point he just couldnt play that way anymore. Maybe he got hurt. My thoery was that our style that we played in the second half was different than our first half. In the first half we pushed the pace a lot more, we were a lot more aggressive and played a north south game. Second half we tried to be too fancy and attempted cross ice passes that were almost always picked off if it wasnt Hedman or Stralman. Right now in the playoffs weve seen them get back to that uptempo get up the ice quickly style again. Maybe he would be better now that we dont play around with the puck as much. He just couldnt play that way.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But do you think that's more because he's fallen off, or that your D has improved?

Our right side hasn't really improved. For whatever reason, when Dotchin just played the simplest of simple games, Victor Hedman went beastmode beside him. But maybe Hedman would have gone beastmode regardless. He had a sort of up-and-down season before that, but was incredible down the stretch, and the incredible run coincided exactly with Dotchin being paired with him. But that was the extent of the credit Dotchin got from most observant fans. We knew he looked like a bottom-pairing Dman, at best. I think it was Brian Lawton who went on TV and made the ridiculous statement that you could build a D core around him. But all that did was show Lawton is making statements about a team/player he doesn't actually watch.

It was just a unique situation. It ran its course, and now Dotchin looks like a fringe NHLer. Which is pretty much what he was always pegged to be.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad