Value of: Jake DeBrusk

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Bruins need secondary scoring. Trade DeBrusk. Lose a second 20 goal scorer like Kase or Smith in expansion. Profit? I don’t think so.

I find it fascinating that the Bruins losing a poor defensive player that was amongst one of the most sheltered in the league is going to make the Bruins defense so horrible when they were top 2 last year. Is it impossible to shelter one of the kids as much as they sheltered Krug?

You're suggesting that we shelter one of the kids which means Grzelcyk and Moore then get tough zone starts. Not exactly a great option.

I understand neither option is a great scenario and I can see an argument for both of them. I guess it comes down to which do you think is more likely: Kase, Smith, Bjork, Kulmon, Senyshyn replacing what Debrusk gives you or Moore, Gzelcyk, Zboril, Lauzon replacing what Chara and Krug gave you? It's a roll of the dice either.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Sounds like an overpayment. Though, I've soured on DeBrusk. I don't like his game away from Krejci. Although you can make the case that his other line-mates were on the meh side.

Interesting. Most Boston fans like his game away from Krejci a lot more than with. DeBrusk wants to play much more up tempo than Krejci.

Reactions: PlayMakers

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Fellow Leafs fans will probably disagree, but I’d do Sandin for DeBrusk. I think he’s be a pretty perfect fit for the Leafs, good mix of skill/fire. Would let us bump Mikheyev down to the 3rd line, which would greatly improve that line.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
DeBrusk - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Mikheyev
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

Andersen
Campbell

Although actually, don’t know if that’d work under the cap? We might be a few hundred thousand over?

Linds

Makalder
Jun 20, 2016
Canada
Fellow Leafs fans will probably disagree, but I’d do Sandin for DeBrusk. I think he’s be a pretty perfect fit for the Leafs, good mix of skill/fire. Would let us bump Mikheyev down to the 3rd line, which would greatly improve that line.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
DeBrusk - Tavares - Nylander
Kerfoot - Thornton - Mikheyev
Vesey - Spezza - Simmonds

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogosian

Andersen
Campbell

Although actually, don’t know if that’d work under the cap? We might be a few hundred thousand over?
I'm not even leafs fan and that's the exact opposite of what Toronto needs to be doing with their few D prospects that actually project to be NHL d men

Reactions: themelkman

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You're suggesting that we shelter one of the kids which means Grzelcyk and Moore then get tough zone starts. Not exactly a great option.

I understand neither option is a great scenario and I can see an argument for both of them. I guess it comes down to which do you think is more likely: Kase, Smith, Bjork, Kulmon, Senyshyn replacing what Debrusk gives you or Moore, Gzelcyk, Zboril, Lauzon replacing what Chara and Krug gave you? It's a roll of the dice either.

The way I look at it is that either Chara is cooked and McAvoy carried him last season in really tough minutes and that McAvoy is capable of carrying a wide variety of guys in that spot...

Or Chara isn't cooked and you bring him back until someone can take his job.

As far as Krug, at 5 on 5, what Krug gave you needs to be understood. He was weak in his own end despite good effort. He was good at moving the puck. He was a non-factor in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. Guys like Kuraly or Bjork outscored Krug at 5 on 5. 3 on 3? 4 on 4? PP? Yeah they will miss Krug for sure. But at 5 on 5? Swapping Gryz into the top 4 makes them BETTER.

Reactions: Canadian Bruin

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Bruins need secondary scoring. Trade DeBrusk. Lose a second 20 goal scorer like Kase or Smith in expansion. Profit? I don’t think so.

I find it fascinating that the Bruins losing a poor defensive player that was amongst one of the most sheltered in the league is going to make the Bruins defense so horrible when they were top 2 last year. Is it impossible to shelter one of the kids as much as they sheltered Krug?

If it's just Krug leaving then I agree. Gryz is a better defender and an equal (if not better) outlet passer. So Krug out and Gryz into his spot is probably a boost defensively 5on5 (and a loss on the PP). In that scenario, there's only one really untested LD in the mix and it would be easy to shelter him.

I think the bigger worry is if both Krug and Chara leave. Then you only have one proven capable LD. You can't shelter two LD on two different pairs.

If both Krug and Chara leave and they don't deal for a defenseman, then someone like Lauzon is going to have to take a big step forward in his development and effectiveness.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If it's just Krug leaving then I agree. Gryz is a better defender and an equal (if not better) outlet passer. So Krug out and Gryz into his spot is probably a boost defensively 5on5 (and a loss on the PP). In that scenario, there's only one really untested LD in the mix and it would be easy to shelter him.

I think the bigger worry is if both Krug and Chara leave. Then you only have one proven capable LD. You can't shelter two LD on two different pairs.

If both Krug and Chara leave and they don't deal for a defenseman, then someone like Lauzon is going to have to take a big step forward in his development and effectiveness.

Totally. And I am in the go big or go home camp in solving that hole at LD. If you can get an OEL or Schmidt at a cost you like, I'm sure Gryz will like Seattle. If its giving up DeBrusk for another question mark at LD, I'm out. If its giving up DeBrusk for a Gryz level player...well... I think in this market the Bruins can weaponize their cap space better.

Heck, why not check on Vatanen for a one year deal?

Reactions: PlayMakers

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Totally. And I am in the go big or go home camp in solving that hole at LD. If you can get an OEL or Schmidt at a cost you like, I'm sure Gryz will like Seattle. If its giving up DeBrusk for another question mark at LD, I'm out. If its giving up DeBrusk for a Gryz level player...well... I think in this market the Bruins can weaponize their cap space better.

Heck, why not check on Vatanen for a one year deal?
Krug is so overrated Gryz is more than an adequate replacement ,better in my opinion, better skater, stronger on his skates with better balance . Much better in his own end . Krug got more shots blocked then anyone I can remember .That is why get off this the Bruns need a LD , they need scoring particularly a RW. DeBrusk is not getting traded for a freakn D-Man , unless it is a bigger deal with multiple pieces...... On a lighter note just got off the phone with Patrick Kane he instructed his agent to get him to Boston.......

Reactions: Canadian Bruin

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Krug is so overrated Gryz is more than an adequate replacement ,better in my opinion, better skater, stronger on his skates with better balance . Much better in his own end . Krug got more shots blocked then anyone I can remember .That is why get off this the Bruns need a LD , they need scoring particularly a RW. DeBrusk is not getting traded for a freakn D-Man , unless it is a bigger deal with multiple pieces...... On a lighter note just got off the phone with Patrick Kane he instructed his agent to get him to Boston.......
You will see how adequate Gryz is once he starts playing unprotected minutes, you will likely be disappointed and quickly.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Wth are you talking about

Reactions: themelkman

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
The way I look at it is that either Chara is cooked and McAvoy carried him last season in really tough minutes and that McAvoy is capable of carrying a wide variety of guys in that spot...

Or Chara isn't cooked and you bring him back until someone can take his job.

As far as Krug, at 5 on 5, what Krug gave you needs to be understood. He was weak in his own end despite good effort. He was good at moving the puck. He was a non-factor in the offensive zone at 5 on 5. Guys like Kuraly or Bjork outscored Krug at 5 on 5. 3 on 3? 4 on 4? PP? Yeah they will miss Krug for sure. But at 5 on 5? Swapping Gryz into the top 4 makes them BETTER.

IMO he wasn't really that good. Few strives and quick Pass 99% of the time
BUT he does have a KILLER breaking out pass
Most of the Bruins breakaways came from Krug stretch passes.
But as far as him carrying the puck out of the zone was mediocre (muscle gains/weight took a hit on his speed over the years)
Krug also never had great stick-handling (no where near as good as Gryz).

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I agree on Gryz and Krug, but LD is still a bigger need. I get Lauzon, Zboril, Vaak are at put up or shut up stage, but you still need a solid minutes eater LD in tough situations if one of those guys doesnt make a big leap. Someone in the Moore role that could slot in all the pairings in a pinch, but doesnt suck like Moore at minimum, but ideally move Moore and DeBrusk for a solid 2nd pair LD, and then have options for slotting the others in.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I agree on Gryz and Krug, but LD is still a bigger need. I get Lauzon, Zboril, Vaak are at put up or shut up stage, but you still need a solid minutes eater LD in tough situations if one of those guys doesnt make a big leap. Someone in the Moore role that could slot in all the pairings in a pinch, but doesnt suck like Moore at minimum, but ideally move Moore and DeBrusk for a solid 2nd pair LD, and then have options for slotting the others in.
I always feel you never have enough D, but the Bruins first priority should be a goal scorer , preferably a RW. I have stated many times on my posts that I have no faith in Bruins management to getting anything done to solve any of these problems ........I also feel they are also under a self team cap imposed by these so called ownership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad