Speculation: Jake Allen's extension contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Army announce he'll start to talk to Allen and his agent about extension to his contract.

https://www.nhl.com/blues/video/armstrong-on-elliott-deal/t-280972110/c-44272603

What you guys predict what will be the AAV, assuming extension will be done this summer?

As a follow up what you guys like this time frame to give Jake Allen extension? is't reason for expansion draft and want to protect him? What about does this extension hold same kind of 'hesitate' aspect what happened with Lehterä?

Shouldn't Army extended Allen's contract 2017 summer not now, then we're certain how he has performed as a #1 goaltender and does he deserve the extension and AAV wise what might be bit high now.

Last edited:

BlueMagic

Oct 19, 2014
I think Army may be thinking that he should extend him now before he's had a full season as #1 so he can get the best AAV possible. I think he will be a very good full time starter so I don't have any fears of him getting an extension then falling apart.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Jake might as well ask for $5-$6M...not like Army has any real leverage at this point. He could probably hold out and get it too. What are the Blues gonna do...give the job to Nilsson or Copely?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm expecting something similar to the current Shattenkirk contract (4 years @ $4.25m).

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I agree with Alklha. More than 4 less than 5 AAV. However I don't like the idea to extend him just yet. I too would like to see him prove it.

Upside to extending now- if he's a bust the contract will be easier to move if the AAV is more reasonable. He's more likely to sign for less right now since he's completely unproven.

Basically if Allen is smart he waits for extension until end of this season.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I guess it depends on if they see Allen as the future goalie for the next 5 years or not. If they feel that their crop of current goalies in the minors don't have a shot at being better than Allen, then they'll probably extend him 4-5 years at an AAV of somewhere around $5m. If they think that there is another goalie who will be better (isn't this always the Blues' theme?), then you'll see a shorter term at higher value.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I think 4 years is long enough to gauge Husso, Binnington and the remainder's potential. By then Blues will have a decent grasp to whether Allen will be their #1 for years to come or if someone passes him. I just don't want the Blues to be stuck with a 6 year deal where Allen is passed and is a backup making starter pay. Most I'd like to see is 4x4.5 AAV.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I would kinda wait mid-season or until next offseason when we know what he does.
If we extend him now and he makes more then 4.5M, I won't be happy. Allen has leverage so he probably gets more.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Why extend him before the end of next year?

If he has a great year and plays 65 games it's still one year. Allen's camp can ask for 5-6 maybe but one year of work shouldn't net that salary. If he struggles as the clear cut #1 you haven't already committed to a 4-5 year deal similar to Lehtera.

Wait till the end of next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad