Jagr shows true colours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

membleypeg

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Jaromir Jagr has left his hometown team of Kladno to play hockey in Russia (Avangard Omsk). He has advised his hometown fans not to get mad at him because, he never promised to play the whole year in in native land. Jagr is reported to receive 2.6 million to play in Russia.

This player is the epitome of all that is wrong with the PA position. He has made huge money in his career, and is set for life. I could understand his wanting to play in his home town during the lockout. He could give something back to all the people who helped him to get where he is today.

Instead, Jagr couldn't resist getting a little more cash. Home fans be damned, Jagr decided to get every last buck he could. Don't let the PA tell anyone that this money grubbing group of players isn't out only for himself. They don't give a damned about hockey, and this negotiation isn't about trying to be fair or trying to improve the game. These money grubs are after every last dollar they can squeeze, and at any cost to the fans. Say it as it is Bob Goodenough, at least be honest with the fans.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
And you are the type of person to turn down millions I guess? I honestly don't know how many of you can pretend to know what it would be like to be offered and turn down millions of dollars. People leave jobs all the time for more money.. professional hockey players just do it on a larger scale.

AG9NK35DT8*

shakes said:
And you are the type of person to turn down millions I guess? I honestly don't know how many of you can pretend to know what it would be like to be offered and turn down millions of dollars. People leave jobs all the time for more money.. professional hockey players just do it on a larger scale.
absolutley true, but, what i think he ( membles) kind of means is, this is why there is a lockout cause players are being to greedy and asking for to much, and are not appreciative of the game they get to PLAY for a living while all of us WORK.You know what, i would have done the same that Jagr did, like you said people leave jobs all the time for more money so it shouldnt be any different because its hockey players.

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
AG9NK35DT8 said:
absolutley true, but, what i think he ( membles) kind of means is, this is why there is a lockout cause players are being to greedy and asking for to much, and are not appreciative of the game they get to PLAY for a living while all of us WORK.You know what, i would have done the same that Jagr did, like you said people leave jobs all the time for more money so it shouldnt be any different because its hockey players.

I think it's different.
Lets say you finish university and theres only 1 company who takes a chance on you. They know that if you're a success, you'll move onto bigger and better things. Lets say you have a very successful career but due to outside circumstances you have a chance to go back to that same company that helped you start out....What Jagr did is the equivalent of one of us pissing all over that company for what amounts to a 50 cent an hour raise.

Yeah sure it's more money, but it's a drop in the bucket for Jagr. I personally am a little disgusted. I don't pretend to know the man's finances, but I'm fairly certain that the extra money he is going to pick up is not going to change his life. this is not some guy who takes a new job at double the salary to provide his family with a new life. This is a guy who is financially set for life, finally has a chance to give something back to the community/country that started his career and doublecrosses them.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
I think you can look at this one of two ways.

1) Jagr's making about $2.0M USD playing in Russia. It's a substantial raise on what he was making in the Czech Republic. I have a hard time ripping on someone for making more money. Under normal circumstances, I'd do it too.

2) You have a guy that who has earned what - $40M over the last four years leaving home to make an extra $1 or so? I'm not saying he owes the fans, but I think a little loyalty would go a long way.

I do think that this just kind of shows how hypocritical the players are. Ian Lapiererre said they want to negotiate, but the players hold out for 10 years before they agreed to a salary cap. (AKA - we want to negotiate, as long as we get our way. BTW, I'm realize the owners are doing the same exact thing.) At that same point, you've got superstars like Jagr who are playing for 20% of what they would be making in the NHL. Even if there was a salary cap, Jagr would likely be making anywhere from 300-400% more in a salary capped NHL than in Russia.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
It should be when theyve already earned tens of millions of dollars.

Its not like he hasnt already got all the cash he could ever need, is it?

Rich people don't get rich or stay rich by passing up on money. When one has a chance to earn 2 million dollars, one takes the 2 million dollars.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
shakes said:
Rich people don't get rich or stay rich by passing up on money. When one has a chance to earn 2 million dollars, one takes the 2 million dollars.

Well, what happens if the owners decertify the union, and they set up a system like TSN's proposal where players can't earn more than $6M? That would still be about 3 times what they could make overseas.

In the other thread you say that the stars won't play if the owners use replacement players, but now you're saying that rich people (which the stars are) wouldn't pass up the paycheck. Which is it?

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
shakes said:
Hes already passed up on earning 5 times that much this season.

If you have $50m+, its quite easy to stay rich if you pass on $2m, isnt it?

chara

Mar 31, 2004
Guys can play wherever they want, lockout or not.

If he wants to finish his career there too, so be it. While the NHL will miss him, it still has plenty of elite players.

AgentOrange*

Where does it say he left for Russia for more money.

Just because the articles mention he'll be making more money, doesnt necessarily mean he's going there for more money.

Maybe he's going there because isnt the Russian league the best league and he wants to play in a more competitive league (isnt he dominating the Czech league?).

Maybe he wants to go play for the Russian league just for a change, or to follow certain other top players that went there.

BTW, I'm in no way a fan of Jagr, I'm just looking at the other side of the fence.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There may be another reason for this move, not to defend Jagr or anything, but this is a man that has had serious financial/gambling problems recently.

Yeah, he makes more than most NHLPA members but if he's spent more than he makes, it places him in the position of looking for the best deal out there.

Not saying it's right, but perhaps he has no choice but to get the best offer possible. He probably owes a lot of people money, including the IRS.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
IMO the thing that makes Jagr look disingenuous in this case is the fact he is going to play in Russia. After all, this is the player who decided to wear #68 to protest the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czeckoslovakia. Now admittedly things have changed in Russia and the Czech Republic since then, but still, it seems to me he would show a little more respect to his home town and country, regardless of the money. At this stage in his life, I would hope some things would be worth more than money. But hey, in this Jerry McGuire age, maybe not.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
Hes already passed up on earning 5 times that much this season.

If you have $50m+, its quite easy to stay rich if you pass on $2m, isnt it?

How did he pass up on earning 5 times that much this season? Again.. have you ever been offered millions and turned it down on principle?

Beukeboom Fan said:
Well, what happens if the owners decertify the union, and they set up a system like TSN's proposal where players can't earn more than $6M? That would still be about 3 times what they could make overseas.

In the other thread you say that the stars won't play if the owners use replacement players, but now you're saying that rich people (which the stars are) wouldn't pass up the paycheck. Which is it?

In the other thread the idea was that players would return because people would be in the stands and other (replacement) players would be wearing their jerseys and that the real players would be concerned that they would have to be "relative nobodies in the Swiss league". I just said that Mats Sundin, Peter Forsberg and Joe Sakic wouldnt have to worry about losing their jobs or people forgetting their names.

However, my point in this thread is that don't condem a man because he was offered 2million dollars and he took it. Every single person on this board would do the exact same thing as Jagr if they could and I say that with the utmost confidence.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
IMO the thing that makes Jagr look disingenuous in this case is the fact he is going to play in Russia. After all, this is the player who decided to wear #68 to protest the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czeckoslovakia. Now admittedly things have changed in Russia and the Czech Republic since then, but still, it seems to me he would show a little more respect to his home town and country, regardless of the money. At this stage in his life, I would hope some things would be worth more than money. But hey, in this Jerry McGuire age, maybe not.

Well said.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
shakes said:
How did he pass up on earning 5 times that much this season? Again.. have you ever been offered millions and turned it down on principle?
Hes a member of a union refusing to accept a salary cap.

No but people like Gagne and some others who have earned less than 1/10th of what Jagr has, they decided to play for charity.

I can see youre a bloodsucking leech on society who cares about noone apart from yourself. Im glad there are people around who do the right thing rather than selling their self respect for $$$, obviously youre not one of them.

If I had earned $50m+ and was set for life, I would try to give back to the people that got me there. Like Forsberg who helped finance his hometown arena or maybe coaching kids.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
[QUOTE=shakes]However, my point in this thread is that don't condem a man because he was offered 2million dollars and he took it. Every single person on this board would do the exact same thing as Jagr if they could and I say that with the utmost confidence.[/QUOTE]

Probably, but then again I can say with confidence that 99.9% of the people on this board have not made $75M so far in their lives! http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com

Money is not everything in life. There are other considerations. And yes, if you have not walked in Jagr's shoes, you can't possibly know what his thought process is, but let me rephrase my earlier point, his actions do not reflect the actions of a principled person.

SENSible1*

Every single person on this board would do the exact same thing as Jagr if they could and I say that with the utmost confidence.

Only because you are foolish/arrogant enough to assume everyone shares your morals and decision making criteria.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
windowlicker said:
But how can you decertify something that does not exist? If using accepted definitions of what a true labour union is, the NHLPA is not a union.

They most certainly are. They are recognized as the legal bargaining agent for NHL players.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
It would be wonderful if the NHLPA did decertify.
Why? I mean, what's it to you? It's none of your business how they choose to represent themselves. You've got something against democracy, pal?

It's not like fans have to pay dues. They have no say in the matter.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Steve L said:
Hes a member of a union refusing to accept a salary cap.

No but people like Gagne and some others who have earned less than 1/10th of what Jagr has, they decided to play for charity.

I can see youre a bloodsucking leech on society who cares about noone apart from yourself. Im glad there are people around who do the right thing rather than selling their self respect for $$$, obviously youre not one of them.

If I had earned $50m+ and was set for life, I would try to give back to the people that got me there. Like Forsberg who helped finance his hometown arena or maybe coaching kids.

too funny.. i should have known from your previous posts that there was no real argument there. Maybe when you grow up and get out of high school and out of your parents house, you will know something about responsibility.

Hey cool, I can flame and make assumptive remarks just like you can!

Oh, since you brought up Forsberg and what he has done, I'm sure you can cite what Jagr hasn't done for charity or his hometown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad