Injury Report: Jagr placed on IR retroactive to Dec 31st, Ryan Lomberg recalled from Stockton

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Monahan is a great player.

I don’t care what his possession stats say. The guy is centering arguably the best line in the NHL... as I always say upon deaf ears to the analytic community ‘Results> Shots’

Just Canadian hockey fans wanting players to become what they aren’t, “Gaudreau needs to put on 10-15 pounds, Dougie Hamilton needs to play like a goon, Monahan needs to generate more shots”

A) the Gaudreau thing was stupid and he’s proving that this year. B) If Hamilton was a goon you’re looking at Chris Pronger C) If Monahan generated more shots without affecting the quality of his shots (which is very high) then you’re looking at a perrenial 40 goal guy...

Just be happy with what these players are. Because they all have skills which make them stand out and win you hockey games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's really too bad he plays in an NHL wasteland, because the guy's one of the premier young talents in the league.

Yeah besides Sid, I can’t think of a more complete C. Bergeron and Kopitar obviously, but he’s up there. Couturier this season has also been remarkable, but he needs to repeat it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Monahan is a great player.

I don’t care what his possession stats say. The guy is centering arguably the best line in the NHL... as I always say upon deaf ears to the analytic community ‘Results> Shots’

Just Canadian hockey fans wanting players to become what they aren’t, “Gaudreau needs to put on 10-15 pounds, Dougie Hamilton needs to play like a goon, Monahan needs to generate more shots”

A) the Gaudreau thing was stupid and he’s proving that this year. B) If Hamilton was a goon you’re looking at Chris Pronger C) If Monahan generated more shots without affecting the quality of his shots (which is very high) then you’re looking at a perrenial 40 goal guy...

Just be happy with what these players are. Because they all have skills which make them stand out and win you hockey games.
We don't agree very often, but this is a case where we certainly do. The Gaudreau/Monahan line has been the best line in the NHL for large chunks of multiple seasons.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We don't agree very often, but this is a case where we certainly do. The Gaudreau/Monahan line has been the best line in the NHL for large chunks of multiple seasons.

The Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Gaudreau/Monahan/Ferland line.
Currently, yes. But I said Gaudreau/Monahan line because when they were with Hudler it was the best line in the NHL for a large part of a season as well.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
This thread doesn't seem to be the spot for this, but whatever...I do not understand Flames fans who shit on Monahan. I get that he isn't flashy, a Selke candidate, or a physical player, but what the hell?! All Monahan does is score goals, how terrible is that! He's a pure sniper who is rounding out his defensive game, has ELITE positional awareness, and centers one of the most productive top lines in the league. He's locked up long term under 7 million, what can anyone honestly complain about? No, he's not a generational talent, he's not prime Iginla, but he is one of the most productive players to ever wear a flames jersey (for someone with such a young NHL career). Yeah, it'd be great to have a Kopitar on this team, but we don't need that to win a cup. Given his production, cap hit, and obvious chemistry with Gaudreau, there is nothing to complain about and he is a massive part of our success in recent years. The best part is that he's still very young, and his game will likely only improve throughout his current contract.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This thread doesn't seem to be the spot for this, but whatever...I do not understand Flames fans who **** on Monahan. I get that he isn't flashy, a Selke candidate, or a physical player, but what the hell?! All Monahan does is score goals, how terrible is that! He's a pure sniper who is rounding out his defensive game, has ELITE positional awareness, and centers one of the most productive top lines in the league. He's locked up long term under 7 million, what can anyone honestly complain about? No, he's not a generational talent, he's not prime Iginla, but he is one of the most productive players to ever wear a flames jersey (for someone with such a young NHL career). Yeah, it'd be great to have a Kopitar on this team, but we don't need that to win a cup. Given his production, cap hit, and obvious chemistry with Gaudreau, there is nothing to complain about and he is a massive part of our success in recent years. The best part is that he's still very young, and his game will likely only improve throughout his current contract.

My theory is it's the Justin Trudeau effect. He hair is so nice that people need to hate on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad