Player Discussion Jacob De La Rose II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
It's 3:00 am and I just wanted to empty my feelings about DLR. I feel like if DLR were 5'10'' instead of 6'3'' he would have never reached the big league. Okay he hits hard, he plays well defensively, he got NHL speed. He's basically a Tom Pyatt with size who hits. And we had also a shortage of skilled centers in our farm team and I think the planets pretty much aligned for him. Damn, I'm pretty sure that a Tim Bozon would have done a better job if he was still with the team.

A 5'10'' DLR would have been a 5th round pick if worst. That reminded me a certain Andreas Engqvist, 6'4'' who had some AHL talent without being able to produce in a higher level. (okay he wasn't on any PP lines and was always bottom 6 but still...). Size really helped him to climb leagues because there wasn't anything special about him.

On the other hand, Engqvist and Rene Bourke played with Lukas Vejdemo last year and it could be helpful for Vedj to learn from NHL vets (Bourke at least) what it takes to be considered one day as a full time Habs.

Ohh well, let's hope he reaches 25 pts this year so I could retract myself. :oops:

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
DLR showed some good things once Plekanec was traded. He will never be an offensive juggernaut but if he can ever become a 30 point player I would be happy. I am not sure where he fits now though that Plelanec is back.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's 3:00 am and I just wanted to empty my feelings about DLR. I feel like if DLR were 5'10'' instead of 6'3'' he would have never reached the big league. Okay he hits hard, he plays well defensively, he got NHL speed. He's basically a Tom Pyatt with size who hits. And we had also a shortage of skilled centers in our farm team and I think the planets pretty much aligned for him. Damn, I'm pretty sure that a Tim Bozon would have done a better job if he was still with the team.

A 5'10'' DLR would have been a 5th round pick if worst. That reminded me a certain Andreas Engqvist, 6'4'' who had some AHL talent without being able to produce in a higher level. (okay he wasn't on any PP lines and was always bottom 6 but still...). Size really helped him to climb leagues because there wasn't anything special about him.

On the other hand, Engqvist and Rene Bourke played with Lukas Vejdemo last year and it could be helpful for Vedj to learn from NHL vets (Bourke at least) what it takes to be considered one day as a full time Habs.

Ohh well, let's hope he reaches 25 pts this year so I could retract myself. :oops:
Well he reached half of that total in half a season...

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I honestly don't know if he will ever reach the offensive potential but maybe he will at age 30.. I don't know. But he's vey effective at defensively which is good

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
DLR showed how he should be used at the Worlds this summer. When I he played between Arvidson and Forsberg he allowed them to play all out offence and create space for them while he covered for them defensively. He did the same last year here when playing with more talented wingers. He gained some confidence and didn’t look out of place at all in a middle 6 role. I just hope that with bring back Plex, DLR gets the 3rd or even 2nd line duties and Plex stays bottom 6. Ideally, I think that would work and allow others to play their natural positions and benefit.

Patches Danault Gally
Drouin DLR/Peca Lehkonen
Domi Peca/DLR Scherbak
Hudon Plex Armia

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
DLR showed how he should be used at the Worlds this summer. When I he played between Arvidson and Forsberg he allowed them to play all out offence and create space for them while he covered for them defensively. He did the same last year here when playing with more talented wingers. He gained some confidence and didn’t look out of place at all in a middle 6 role. I just hope that with bring back Plex, DLR gets the 3rd or even 2nd line duties and Plex stays bottom 6. Ideally, I think that would work and allow others to play their natural positions and benefit.

Patches Danault Gally
Drouin DLR/Peca Lehkonen
Domi Peca/DLR Scherbak
Hudon Plex Armia

The strength of this team is the winger depth. If he has a good camp he should play his way onto a line with some decent wingers. I hope he can be a good compliment and open up ice. Not holding my breath... what I really want to see is the sandpaper he had when he was a junior. He was very feisty.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Patches Danault Gally
Drouin DLR/Peca Lehkonen
Domi Peca/DLR Scherbak
Hudon Plex Armia

The strength of this team is the winger depth. If he has a good camp he should play his way onto a line with some decent wingers. I hope he can be a good compliment and open up ice. Not holding my breath... what I really want to see is the sandpaper he had when he was a junior. He was very feisty.

That's what I also believe.

Won't ever be a world beater by any means, BUT, if he can simply be a quality complementary, 2-way center who can at the very least follow the play and insure his wingers can create as much as they want, sure, why not.

Just devise a 2-1-2 strategy around him and his wingers, and let him control the low center ice, while providing basic support offensively. Did also crash the net on a couple occasions when given more offensive wingers late in the season... damn I hate when kids are rushed because they have 'NHL size and skating', by shortsighted administratives...

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

That’s exactly right. So rather then have a winger play out of position and not be as effective, play them with a natural centre who watches the back end and let the talented wingers drive the play.

He can still be effective in front of the net And even pot a couple of goals and contribute some offence as he’s shown when he gets more confidence. Look at the Worlds or the success he had with Chucky on his wing last year. That was a fairly effective line. Add another talented winger and you could have the makings of a solid 2nd/3rd line.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
You know if the Habs keep wanting to play Drouin at C, swell. As I have stated, my concern is just that we mess up Drouin. With Kotkaniemi and Poehling likely vying for time next year I dont know if this makes sense. I just think they should play the centres at C in case we have something.

So if we played Drouin at wing, we have him along with Domi as playmaking wingers. Give DLR, Peca, Vejdemo, Danault etc time with these guys on the wing and see what happens.

Of course I see this year as a lost season and think its best to give all the young guys all the chances in the world. CJ and MB maybe not so much.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

This is post is a bit insulting to Tom Pyatt. Whatever Pyatt's faults, he was legitimately an NHL level talent, if not much better than a 3rd/4th line tweener at his very best.

DLR has thus far failed to even show notable skills at the AHL level. He's never been close to showing the base level of effectiveness expect of a full time NHL forward. Tom Pyatt is at least two or three tiers higher in ability level, which is how he has a multiple year NHL career with 3 organizations and lasted in the NHL up to his 30s.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
This is post is a bit insulting to Tom Pyatt. Whatever Pyatt's faults, he was legitimately an NHL level talent, if not much better than a 3rd/4th line tweener at his very best.

DLR has thus far failed to even show notable skills at the AHL level. He's never been close to showing the base level of effectiveness expect of a full time NHL forward. Tom Pyatt is at least two or three tiers higher in ability level, which is how he has a multiple year NHL career with 3 organizations and lasted in the NHL up to his 30s.

DLR is still only 23. Tom Pyatt had his first decent season ( 19 points in 74 games on Tampa ) when he was 23. DLR just had 12 points in 53 at the same age on a much worse and lower scoring team. He is not two or three tiers higher what so ever. Pyatt's career high was 23 points, DLR will hit that at some point.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Honestly I think DLR's pretty good. Big, fast, and strong defensively, there's not much more to ask for from a bottom six forward.

He looked good especially late last season, and its not like we're sticking him in a top six role. I'd say he's better than Plekanec at this point.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
DeLaRose has the wheels to keep up with good players and can cover for their defensive issues sometimes.

100% agree. His value is his big body that works hard and skates very well. He lacks offensive skills but the rest his game is very good. I think Danault has more offensive ability but DLR is better than him in a defensive center role. I like DLR as our #3C more than Danault to be honest. I know we lack centers but lets say both Drouin and Domi play center for us, I move Danault to wing to play with DLR. A Danault / DLR / Scherbak line would be worth trying for the 3rd line

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I think DLR's pretty good. Big, fast, and strong defensively, there's not much more to ask for from a bottom six forward.

He looked good especially late last season, and its not like we're sticking him in a top six role. I'd say he's better than Plekanec at this point.

I would have two 3rd lines (or two 4th's) and Pleky plays center on one and DLR on the other. Ice time per game depends on how their line plays.

This is what I would try heading into the season..

Patch / Domi / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Drouin / Armia
Danault / DLR / Scherbak
Hudon / Pleky / Byron

If Domi struggles at center... swap him with Danault

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I would have two 3rd lines (or two 4th's) and Pleky plays center on one and DLR on the other. Ice time per game depends on how their line plays.

This is what I would try heading into the season..

Patch / Domi / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Drouin / Armia
Danault / DLR / Scherbak
Hudon / Pleky / Byron

If Domi struggles at center... swap him with Danault
Yikes those C's

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yikes those C's

You surprised? How about Danault (#1C), Pleky (#2C), DLR (#3C), and Peca (#4C).

No matter how you spin it, we have the worse NHL center roster depth at the moment and it's going to be like this for another year or two until Kotkaniemi and Poehling mature and show potential

Reactions: McTusk

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You surprised? How about Danault (#1C), Pleky (#2C), DLR (#3C), and Peca (#4C).

No matter how you spin it, we have the worse NHL center roster depth at the moment and it's going to be like this for another year or two until Kotkaniemi and Poehling mature and show potential
I mean yeah its gonna be terrible regardless, but atleast some put some real centers in there.

I think the best C lineup would be:
1. Danault
2. Peca
3. DLR
4. Plekanec

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I mean yeah its gonna be terrible regardless, but atleast some put some real centers in there.

I think the best C lineup would be:
1. Danault
2. Peca
3. DLR
4. Plekanec

I can’t wrap my head around why people are pencilling Peca into the top 6 , let alone the line up. Guy has like 20 NHL games played, let’s see if he can even make the roster

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad