Player Discussion Jacob De La Rose II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Having a goalie like that is the basis for winning. You don’t trade assets you hope to regain in the draft. Rinne; Lou, brodeur, king Hank. All goalies still good in their 30s.
Yes but their teams didn't always need them to be a Vezina nominee just to make the playoffs

Price became MBs crutch rather than a goalie he would build a contender around, for a goalie who's struggled to play his teams final games each year you need a better team playing in front of him

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Yes but their teams didn't always need them to be a Vezina nominee just to make the playoffs

Price became MBs crutch rather than a goalie he would build a contender around, for a goalie who's struggled to play his teams final games each year you need a better team playing in front of him
His struggles? You mean this season?
Those goalies had Vezina season when there teams where good, heck even Florida right now wouldn’t even be in the mix without Lou. You willing to bet price has a bounce back and this team is back in the playoffs?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
His struggles? You mean this season?
Those goalies had Vezina season when there teams where good, heck even Florida right now wouldn’t even be in the mix without Lou. You willing to bet price has a bounce back and this team is back in the playoffs?[/QUOTE

I mean the seasons where he he's been injured and unable to finish the year, probably shouldn't be playing now. I wouldn't bet against Price bouncing back but with our current D & C depth he will need to be league MVP for us to make the playoffs unless MBs plan fills some holes

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
I mean the seasons where he he's been injured and unable to finish the year, probably shouldn't be playing now. I wouldn't bet against Price bouncing back but with our current D & C depth he will need to be league MVP for us to make the playoffs unless MBs plan fills some holes
I agreee, just think besides the 1C, not many holes, 1 draft steal then suddenly this team is much better. Would not remove the goalie, that would force us to find a new goalie. Ask st Louis fans what that feels like, or philly fans

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I have a feeling our centre position is going to look like this next year:

1. Stastny/ Player X
2. Danault
3. Plekanec
4. DLR/Froese

The problem I have with DLR is that the fourth line has looked better with Froese than with DLR. Of course DLR is better than Plekanec. Plekanec was great, but needs to be put out to pasture. The fourth line with DLR can't create the type of offensive zone presence, and production, that it can with Froese. Froese is slick along the wall and at protecting the puck.

I'd like to see what Carr DLR Deslaurier can do. Because he'll have to be effective in that role if he wants to see the ice in my book. No way is ahead of any of the following in the top 9:

Pacioretty Hudon Drouin
Scherbak Galchenyuk Gallagher
Lehkonen Danault Byron

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Sure, don't put Galchenyuk with DeLaRose next season, he just got 12 points in his last 14 games and only -2 since playing with him...

Emotive fans want young players, but not the ones we have, even when they show they can do the job. DeLaRose is still only 22. Will never understand the negativism here.

I've always liked DLR, but he's not ever going to be an offensive dynamo. His optimum destination is 3rd line with PK time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I agreee, just think besides the 1C, not many holes, 1 draft steal then suddenly this team is much better. Would not remove the goalie, that would force us to find a new goalie. Ask st Louis fans what that feels like, or philly fans
2 Top 6 Cs and 2 Top 4 LD
Habs haven't found a #1C in over 20 years and there's likely none in this years draft

I'm not liking our chances, even if I expect the unexpected

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I have a feeling our centre position is going to look like this next year:

1. Stastny/ Player X
2. Danault
3. Plekanec
4. DLR/Froese

I don't think we'll bring back Plekanec and I have a feeling Drouin will be at center.

I still am infuriated Julien is playing DLR and Logan Shaw at center in the top 9 ahead of Galchenyuk. It just confirms that he needs to be fired immediately.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I've always liked DLR, but he's not ever going to be an offensive dynamo. His optimum destination is 3rd line with PK time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I just think in the new NHL, the third line needs to be more offensive than what DLR can provide. I see Lehkonen and Hudon as quality 3rd liners. It would be nice if they could play with a center like Derrick Brassard or Nazeem Kadri, or at least Philip Danault.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

He's probably not a 3rd line C. His lack of offense and his inability to push play into the O-Zone really limit him from being anything more than a 4th line C with primarily PK ice-time/13th forward. You can't have a player that kills offense like he does in the top-9. Ideally he's not in the line-up period.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I just think in the new NHL, the third line needs to be more offensive than what DLR can provide. I see Lehkonen and Hudon as quality 3rd liners. It would be nice if they could play with a center like Derrick Brassard or Nazeem Kadri, or at least Philip Danault.

You need a lot of depth to play those guys on the third line, and the Habs are deep in grind but very shallow in skill. So little, that it's debatable if there is even a 1st line.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
He's probably not a 3rd line C. His lack of offense and his inability to push play into the O-Zone really limit him from being anything more than a 4th line C with primarily PK ice-time/13th forward. You can't have a player that kills offense like he does in the top-9. Ideally he's not in the line-up period.

I wasn't necessarily figuring him to play C. Being able to take faceoffs is a
good quality for a winger. I wasn't implying DLR should be a 3rd liner, but that would be his likely destination if he could pick up his O production.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think if you look at our team, we have the winger depth to roll 4 lines. If we land a #1 via trade/FA

Pacioretty-????-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Drouin-Scherbak
Hudon-Danault-Lehkonen
Byron-DLR-DesLaurier

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think if he's your 4th line C you're feeling pretty good about it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I wasn't necessarily figuring him to play C. Being able to take faceoffs is a
good quality for a winger. I wasn't implying DLR should be a 3rd liner, but that would be his likely destination if he could pick up his O production.
I think what DLR has shown, albeit in a limited sample, this year when playing with NHL quality players shows that he can produce offensively.

Take the 2 games earlier in the year where he played with Galchenyuk & Lehkonen (when Drouin was injured) + the 15 games since Plekanec was traded and he's got the following numbers.

4 goals - 8 assists 12pts in 17 games

Again, that's a small sample, i'm certainly not suggesting that it's a pace he's capable of maintaining all year...but I think it shows that he's not completely void of offensive talent and offensive production. He got half of the production his predecessor got playing a similar role in more than double the games.

Reactions: DAChampion

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
I wouldn't feel good about it. I'd accept it, because its not a huge deal one way or another, but DLR isn't an ideal NHLer in this day and age.
Why? It's not like he is slow. Just because he is big and likes to hit doesn't mean he isn't an ideal NHLer. He's young, cheap, a very good skater, and plays well defensively those are four ingredients that thrive on the current fourth lines of the nhl.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Why? It's not like he is slow. Just because he is big and likes to hit doesn't mean he isn't an ideal NHLer. He's young, cheap, a very good skater, and plays well defensively those are four ingredients that thrive on the current fourth lines of the nhl.

Because in the new NHL, the ideal 4th liner's role is being able to play tough defensive minutes and set up scoring lines in the Ozone. And DLR has been pretty lousy at that. He has time to improve, but I'm not going to be wooed by a streak of luck just like I wasn't when it was Deslaurier in December.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Because in the new NHL, the ideal 4th liner's role is being able to play tough defensive minutes and set up scoring lines in the Ozone. And DLR has been pretty lousy at that. He has time to improve, but I'm not going to be wooed by a streak of luck just like I wasn't when it was Deslaurier in December.
4th lines on average play between 8 to 12 mins a game depending on the team...I think you're inflating the amount of tough defensive minutes 4th lines typically play.

Also, i'm not sure I agree that DLR has been 'lucky' since the traded deadline since he's had 2 goals taken away from goal reviews...his numbers should actually be even better.

I'd suggest, as I have been all year, that there's more offense in DLR's game than most give him credit for.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
4th lines on average play between 8 to 12 mins a game depending on the team...I think you're inflating the amount of tough defensive minutes 4th lines typically play.

Also, i'm not sure I agree that DLR has been 'lucky' since the traded deadline since he's had 2 goals taken away from goal reviews...his numbers should actually be even better.

I'd suggest, as I have been all year, that there's more offense in DLR's game than most give him credit for.

I said being able to tough defensive minutes. I said nothing about the amount of tough defensive minutes.

DLR has a shooting % of 16.67% since the deadline. His career shooting percentage is 7.3%. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that he's been getting lucky.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I said being able to tough defensive minutes. I said nothing about the amount of tough defensive minutes.
Point still remains - how much tough defensive minutes does a 4th line really play?

DLR has a shooting % of 16.67% since the deadline. His career shooting percentage is 7.3%. I'm pretty comfortable in saying that he's been getting lucky.
Well I mean, it's a short sample...so obviously, we can't extrapolate that for a full year and I think I said that.

Still, I think he's showing that he's not completely void of offensive talent. He's just finally getting a shot to play with players who have talent offensively and he's getting rewarded with meaningful minutes.

His faceoffs have been pretty good as well.

Reactions: DAChampion

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

So what would you suggest his offensive upside is based on your scouting? I'm not sure how your opinion on DLR's offense really differs from people who don't believe he can put up more than 4th liner production.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think what DLR has shown, albeit in a limited sample, this year when playing with NHL quality players shows that he can produce offensively.

Take the 2 games earlier in the year where he played with Galchenyuk & Lehkonen (when Drouin was injured) + the 15 games since Plekanec was traded and he's got the following numbers.

4 goals - 8 assists 12pts in 17 games

Again, that's a small sample, i'm certainly not suggesting that it's a pace he's capable of maintaining all year...but I think it shows that he's not completely void of offensive talent and offensive production. He got half of the production his predecessor got playing a similar role in more than double the games.

The line mixing has definitely been advantageous for DLR. Playing with Galchenyuk, who by most reasonable expectations is at least an elite 2nd line player, has provided DLR with opportunities he's taken advantage of. It's very good for him, but had made little difference for the team as a whole.

This really demonstrates just how woefully inadequate the team is offensively.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Point still remains - how much tough defensive minutes does a 4th line really play?

Not a lot, but you don't want to shelter a 4th line and ideally you want to be able to send them out against anyone for a defensive zone face-off/in the D-zone and have them come off, not being scored on, with the puck either in the neutral zone or the other team's end.

Well I mean, it's a short sample...so obviously, we can't extrapolate that for a full year and I think I said that.

Still, I think he's showing that he's not completely void of offensive talent. He's just finally getting a shot to play with players who have talent offensively and he's getting rewarded with meaningful minutes.

His faceoffs have been pretty good as well.

Right, but he's not going to be playing with (or shouldn't be playing with) Chucky and Lehkonen on the 4th line. And its pretty hard to look at him as being anything but a drag long-term on the 2nd line. His job on the 4th line is to not get scored on and put the scoring lines in a position to score. And he doesn't do that well.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I never bought that DLR was destined to be an offensive black hole. I think that he merely placed in advanced leagues relative to his age for most of his development, so he had a hard time scoring. He then played three years for Lefebvre who couldn't develop a non-superstar to save his life, while also being bounced up and down by Bergevin.

ETA: De La Rose has 10 goals, 15 assists, in 47 international junior games with Team Sweden, where he played against mostly good players of his age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad