Jackets Update: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
CD - Columbus

A new-look Columbus squad skated to a 4-4 tie with expansion cousin Minnesota this evening, prompting this reporter to examine the highs and lows of a frustrating start to the season.

The Good:

- Head Coach Mike Babcock shuffled the lines and positions around for tonight's game. New Jacket Slava Kozlov moved from the wing to center, centering the second line with Mark Bell and converted pivot Jeremy Roenick on his wings, and the new mix clicked, contributing 3 of the Jackets' 4 goals (Kozlov's 1st and 2nd, and Roenick's 1st), all at even strength.

- The Jackets have earned points in three of 4 games so far, and only gave up one goal in their regulation loss.

- The PP was 1 for 2.

The Bad:

- The Kozlov line was also on the ice for two even-strength goals against.

- The top unit of Mike Modano centering Geoff Sanderson and Brendan Shanahan, which counted for a powerplay marker (Sanderson's 2nd) early in the second period, was also on the ice for an even-strength goal against.

- The PK unit was 0 for 1 after Marco Sturm scored with Shanahan in the box for hooking (Columbus' only penalty on the night) midway through the third period.

The Ugly:

- After yet again outshooting their opponents throughout regulation, the Jackets still found themselves unable to muster a win. The over-under on Jackets wins for the season is now 1 (and the smart money is betting the under...).

- Brodeur appears still to be adjusting to the new rules, when after a strong 1-goal performance in a losing effort in Edmonton two nights ago, he gave up 4 goals for the third time in four games.

- The Jackets drew less than 14,000 fans, suggesting that either there is still ill will among the normally rabid fan base over the lockout, or fans are seeing this high-priced roster continue to fire blanks and are showing their dissatisfaction in a very tangible way.

- Grinder Kirk Maltby is a little worse for wear after a run-in with a stanchion late in the third and did not return. Team doctors looked him over, and he will be a game-time decision tomorrow night as the Jackets face the undefeated Bruins at Boston.

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

Mar 1, 2002
"Yes, it's good to get a point on the road against a quality team, but we had a one goal lead in the 3rd, and we need to hang on to those leads," said GM Greg Dockus.

"I know we were outshot, but I'm happy overall with the game. Hedican really played like an All-Star tonight. 3 assists and +3, how can you not be impressed? Marco and Ribs each with a goal and an assist and Ladislav with 2 assists as well. Our young forwards are really coming through. If we can get our vets up front to step up, we will be exactly where we expect."

Mar 1, 2002
Ohio Jones said:
- Grinder Kirk Maltby is a little worse for wear after a run-in with a stanchion late in the third and did not return.

Darcy Tucker, making his presence felt in Minnesota.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
Darcy Tucker, making his presence felt in Minnesota.

This just in: Darcy Tucker is being used to hold up the glass at the Xcel Energy Center.

"It feels good to finally have found my purpose in life", the Wild winger told reporters.

Mar 1, 2002
Ohio Jones said:
This just in: Darcy Tucker is being used to hold up the glass at the Xcel Energy Center.

"It feels good to finally have found my purpose in life", the Wild winger told reporters.

hahaha...nice.

(as an aside....Tucker with 13 goals already in Toronto....loving that!)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
hahaha...nice.

(as an aside....Tucker with 13 goals already in Toronto....loving that!)

As a Leafs fan, I am too. As a poolie, though, I'm not pelased. I traded him for goaltending when Ryan Miller went down, and got Mike Dunham, who was playign quite well, and then promptly went down to injury as well. At the time, Tucker had been playing well on the PP, but was terrible 5 on 5... but this latest run of goals is killing me, because my squad seems to have trouble scoring. It's made worse when I consider I traded Tucker and kept O'Neill... :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->