Jack Skille

PensinPitt

Jun 19, 2007
Is it just me or is he underrated?

He's one of the better power forward type prospects floating around right now and i think he has a great shot to be a 2nd liner on the hawks.

Thoughts on JS?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I love Skille as a prospect. Personally, I see him as a Bill Guerin clone in the NHL. I wouldn't say he has exceptional hockey sense, but he has great physical tools, including a devestating shot. He's going to look great on a line with a playmaker.

PensinPitt

Jun 19, 2007
I agree he could definately be a sniper, especially if he gets someone to feed him the puck.

Chicago has a lot of young talent, and if they can get some production, should be an improved team....

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I am a Big Skille fan...

He has three things that say he has the chance to be a very very good NHL player:

(1) He has explosive acceleration. I can't comment on his top speed thats pretty hard to compare, but he goes from flat footed to full speed in about 3 steps. Its really fun to watch.

(2) He has a heavy, extremely hard shot.

(3) He is willing to play gritty (and I assume drop the gloves although i haven't seen it)

There is one big problem--- he hasn't shown the ability to finish consistently. In College, in pro camps, he does the same thing. Uses his speed to beat a Dman wide and then Rip a shot from a bad angle. Against prospects, against NCAA goalies-- that shot will sometimes flat out beat them.

I dont' see that happening often in the NHL.

Now when he feels that Dmen are overplaying that outside move, he buries his head and drives the net. He does that very very well-- but I haven't seen him finish very often.

Everyone compares him to Billy Guerin... and while I see some things I think a more apt American player is Brian Rolston.

Skille has very much the same skill set (Explosive wheels, huge shot) and like Rolston it might take a while to develop a scoring touch in the NHL. Now, if he shifts his game to one that is more around the net... then I can see the Guerin thing.

Will be very interesting to see him in Pro camp (he was better last year in prospects camp, where IMO he outplayed Toews).

-fullmetalninja

PensinPitt

Jun 19, 2007
Thanks for the great read FMN....

I also think that if Skille doesnt have to rely on himself so much to have great scoring chances, his goals scored #'s will increase. Having a good playmaker at C will only help....

Canuck71*

I'd love for

Skille - Toews - Kane

line to be dominant in a couple years...

That would be a Crazy line. All incredibely skilled young players, I would love to see Dave Bolland on a line with one of these guys too. When is Bolland expected to crack the roster?

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
That would be a Crazy line. All incredibely skilled young players, I would love to see Dave Bolland on a line with one of these guys too. When is Bolland expected to crack the roster?

A lot of the thinking in Chicago is that Bolland will permanently make the shift to winger and that will help his chances to crack the line up (especially if he becomes a LW). I would say the best thing for Bolland is to spend the majority of the year in Rockford and then compete for a spot next year when Samsonov, Lapointe, Bourque, Williams and Vrbata come off the books. I think guys like Brouwer (if he doesn't start on the roster) ,Skille, Bickell and Blunden are the guys who will be called up for injuries.

I'd think this would make a good first line for Rockford:

Bolland - Kontiola - Skille/Brouwer

Oh and with regards to Skille i would say he is slightly underrated. Everyone just looks at his college numbers and dismisses him but he was playing for a very low scoring team. I mean Wisconsin averaged 2.27 goals per game and their highest scorer last year got 29 points in 40 games. Compare that to say ND who got 3.56 goals per game. Skille looked good in the WJC with limited minutes and got 8 points in 9 regular season games in his AHL stint at the end of last year. I agree however if Skille is going to develop into a good top-6 winger in the NHL he needs to improve his finishing. Skille has all the physical tools and he seems to have a good mentality.

Last edited:

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
In the future yes... not now though... man that'd be scary to put out three rookies on a same line... lol

I agree with Bollad waiting another season... he has a ton of upside but still had the body of a 19 year ol even after a year of professional help... He'll be quality when he finally hits the club though... true winner...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
In the future yes... not now though... man that'd be scary to put out three rookies on a same line... lol

I agree with Bollad waiting another season... he has a ton of upside but still had the body of a 19 year ol even after a year of professional help... He'll be quality when he finally hits the club though... true winner...

yeah sure. i wasnt talking about right now. but its a scary looking line for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->