Jack Johnson

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Could anyone see this scenario working out: Pittsburgh takes Jordan Staal with the second pick and trades Carolina straight up for Jack Johnson. This gives Pittsburgh another young talented defensemen to go with Crosby and Malkin and it gives Carolina another Staal brother. J.J. gets to play with Sid and Jordan gets to play with Eric. Any thoughts?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Zero chance. The Canes are a team that has arrived. Dealing a player who can help them big next year for a player that is at least 3 years away from having any kind of impact would be foolish. And reuniting brothers is as likely to have a bad affect as a good one, since an unhappy brother can mess with the head of one who is content.
Not to say that baby Staal can't potentially have a better career than Johnson, but there is no reason to expect that is probable, and the Canes already have a franchise center, now they need the franchise defenceman.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Nice thought (Staal brothers together), but a poor hockey move. Jack Johnson is nearly ready and is a defenceman which Carolina needs more than forwards, as Hedican, Wesley et al are aging and Staal, Ladd, Larose, Vasicek, Cole etc. are all coming into their own.

Transported Upstater

Kvashinator12 said:
penguins fans are dreaming if they think that the 2nd pick would land Jack Johnson....

As far as I can tell, Pens fans aren't the ones who think so.

I think most Penguins fans know the only way they get JJ will involve a trade of Malkin, and there's no way Pittsburgh would do that move.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
TransportedUpstater said:
As far as I can tell, Pens fans aren't the ones who think so.

I think most Penguins fans know the only way they get JJ will involve a trade of Malkin, and there's no way Pittsburgh would do that move.

Let's not get crazy here. The Pens wouldn't need to trade Malkin to get JJ here. I'm pretty sure Carolina would jump on a #2 + Whitney deal, but the Pens would never do that.

Maybe #2 + Orpik ;)

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:

Is this research scientific? There's not one Pens fan (that I am aware of) who thinks the deal would need to include Malkin.

AgentNaslund*

Jack Johnson is gonna be a better player then Jordon Staal. Why would Carolina do that?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
jmelm said:
Let's not get crazy here. The Pens wouldn't need to trade Malkin to get JJ here. I'm pretty sure Carolina would jump on a #2 + Whitney deal, but the Pens would never do that.

Maybe #2 + Orpik ;)
LOL, Orpik would die in practice, that's all I have to say

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Kvashinator12 said:
penguins fans are dreaming if they think that the 2nd pick would land Jack Johnson....
No Pens fan is saying anything close to this being realistic.

However, YOU dreamt Crosby would score 40 points last season.

Zeus6754

May 8, 2006
nuck said:
Zero chance. The Canes are a team that has arrived. Dealing a player who can help them big next year for a player that is at least 3 years away from having any kind of impact would be foolish. And reuniting brothers is as likely to have a bad affect as a good one, since an unhappy brother can mess with the head of one who is content.
Not to say that baby Staal can't potentially have a better career than Johnson, but there is no reason to expect that is probable, and the Canes already have a franchise center, now they need the franchise defenceman.
Kvashinator12 said:

This trade is extremely unlikely but Jack Johnson is NOT going to be a #1 D-Man next year IF he plays with the Canes. He may stay at Michigan for another 2 years. He isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Canes fans are dreaming if they think JJ will step in next year and be able to replace Wesley or Hedican, much less be an upgrade.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Zeus6754 said:
This trade is extremely unlikely but Jack Johnson is NOT going to be a #1 D-Man next year IF he plays with the Canes. He may stay at Michigan for another 2 years. He isn't ready for the NHL yet.

Canes fans are dreaming if they think JJ will step in next year and be able to replace Wesley or Hedican, much less be an upgrade.

While I don't think Jack Johnson is ready to be a #1 d-man right now, it's obvious the Canes feel he could make an immediate contribution. I doubt that would mean him sitting in the pressbox.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
STAALed said:
LOL, Orpik would die in practice, that's all I have to say

Funny how Cole's first shift last night, he boarded an Oiler from behind.

He whines for two months about Orpik's hit, then he goes out and does the same exact thing in his second game back.

But as another Cane's fan said on the dirty Weight hit, it is different if someone gets hurt.

Interesting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->