Jack Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Well, my Hurricanes lucked out and were able to draft Jack Johnson at the #3 overall selection. I am beyond elated. Due to the fact that I almost had it as a foregone conclusion that either Anaheim or the team they traded their pick to would take him, I didn't brush up on his game and focus on his scouting reports like I usually do for a future 'Canes selection. What are his strengths and weaknesses, realisticaly. All i've been able to find are scout pages and articles that gush about him and don't seem to be realistically breaking his game down.

Also, how dead set is he on playing hockey for the Wolverines? I've come across information saying he commited at 14 to play for them and it has always been a dream of his. Would Carolina be right to let him play at least a year there?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
How many players ever go straight to the NHL from the US development team?

The smart thing to do would be to let him progress in one of the best hockey programs in the country for a couple of years at least.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
clefty said:
How many players ever go straight to the NHL from the US development team?

The smart thing to do would be to let him progress in one of the best hockey programs in the country for a couple of years at least.

Well it's not my choice to make at all, but I understand the fact that they want to get him up here and see what he has as soon as possible. Development team or no, there is talk like this kid has the skill and game to be ready right this minute. That's kind of what I was basing my post on is trying to see the flip side to that sentiment and how far away he is from making an impact with the big club.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Well it's not my choice to make at all, but I understand the fact that they want to get him up here and see what he has as soon as possible. Development team or no, there is talk like this kid has the skill and game to be ready right this minute. That's kind of what I was basing my post on is trying to see the flip side to that sentiment and how far away he is from making an impact with the big club.

Simply put, you're asking if its right for Carolina to allow him to play at Michigan, and I'm saying yes, it makes sense to do so. But you're talking about one hell of a jump here, NAHL to the NHL. Like I said, I can't think of anyone who's done it before. Maybe there's a first time for everything, I don't know.

Keep in mind that its all or nothing as well. If he's brought to camp, thats it, there's no turning back. Even if Carolina thinks he's ready, they think he has the skillset, I don't think its worth the risk.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
clefty said:
Simply put, you're asking if its right for Carolina to allow him to play at Michigan, and I'm saying yes, it makes sense to do so. But you're talking about one hell of a jump here, NAHL to the NHL. Like I said, I can't think of anyone who's done it before. Maybe there's a first time for everything, I don't know.

Keep in mind that its all or nothing as well. If he's brought to camp, thats it, there's no turning back. Even if Carolina thinks he's ready, they think he has the skillset, I don't think its worth the risk.

I tend to agree with that assesment, it's a lot to risk in having this type of player come straight into your lineup. However, I can also sympathize with the Hurricanes situation. They need youth on their blueline about as bad as any other team in the league. You have an elite prospect in one hand and a handful of guys like St. Jacques, Commodore, Wallin, and Hutchinson in the other. No matter what, it's going to be tempting.

Plus, I can't think of a defenseman this highly touted coming out of the draft in a while that didn't go directly to the NHL and struggle slightly. Jay Bouwmeester comes to mind. Chris Pronger as well. Didn't Bryan Berard and Chris Phillips jump right in as well? It's just something to ponder.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
clefty said:

Actually, the Under-18 Team plays several colleges and USHL teams. I think it's the Under-17 Team that plays an NAHL schedule.

The Ann Arbor News today said Johnson is now undecided, which as a Michigan fan is scaring me. Berenson said he could never get a firm answer out of Al Montoya and anytime a player leaves the door open for the NHL...

Carolina is going to meet with him and his family in the next few days and Johnson will decide after that. The Canes think he's NHL ready, but would like to at least get him started in Lowell. Johnson's dream is the NHL, but he also said he doesn't want to jump the gun, either. He wants to do what he thinks is best for his development.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Saw this new article today on Carolinahurricanes.com and thought it was relevant to post here. It's not looking good for Johnson to return to Michigan.

Johnson had a Michigan tie on when he went to the podium to shake hands with the Carolina brass.

"I guess he can take that off," joked Rutherford. "We'll have discussions with him and his family and try to decide what is best for him. I would like to have the opportunity to talk to Jack about signing and getting started in Lowell because I think it would be a huge jump for him to play in the National Hockey League immediately."

Johnson said he would likely decide within the next week whether he'll go to college or turn pro.

"It won't be money," Johnson said. "It will be what I personally think is best for my development. I don't want to jump the gun too soon. I want to make sure I do the right thing. I'm pretty sure I'll have the right gut feeling. There is no rush."

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
In addition, there is a good chance that Johnson will have productive talks with former alumnus Aaron Ward and Danny Richmond. I'm not sure what advice Ward will give Johnson, but i'm quite sure what Richmond will tell him of the experience, as one sided as that may be.

on the boards

Feb 28, 2005
Sounds like Rutherford wants the kid on a fast track-- Lowell for a season and then the NHL. It'll be interesting to see. I'm guessing Johnson will be at rookie camp in Ottawa-- but maybe not if he is going to Ann Arbor.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
on the boards said:
Sounds like Rutherford wants the kid on a fast track-- Lowell for a season and then the NHL. It'll be interesting to see. I'm guessing Johnson will be at rookie camp in Ottawa-- but maybe not if he is going to Ann Arbor.

I'd be willing to bet that if Johnson lights it up at Lowell, he won't even make it a full season there before getting NHL action. They've rushed worse prospects. Tanabe comes to mind.

Is it set in stone that if Johnson attends the camps then he won't be back? I vaguely remember Tanabe showing up at camp and then heading back to Minnesota to play for the Gophers. Am I wrong?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what Jackson could go at the AHL level, at 18 years old. There's no doubt he will play 1 or 2 NHL games if he is signed.

AHL should be the best way for him, IMO.

Last edited:

Funkymoses

Caniacforever said:
In addition, there is a good chance that Johnson will have productive talks with former alumnus Aaron Ward and Danny Richmond. I'm not sure what advice Ward will give Johnson, but i'm quite sure what Richmond will tell him of the experience, as one sided as that may be.

What exactly would that be? I've heard from someone who I consider very reliable that Richmond regretted his decision to leave Michigan.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Caniacforever said:

I think with the new CBA and guys becoming UFA's after 7 years of service (of course that will be covered under the next CBA as this one expires in 6 years), you will see VERY few 18 YO's playing in the NHL. If I'm a GM, a guys almost has to be at the Crosby level to make it worthwhile to play him at 18, as you are potentially losing PRIME years of production (or greatly increasing his payroll cost to stick around when he's 25-26).

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Funkymoses said:
What exactly would that be? I've heard from someone who I consider very reliable that Richmond regretted his decision to leave Michigan.

I've heard through the grapevine that Richmond wasn't exactly thrilled with the way he was handled with Michigan. However, he was treated worse with London. So in hindsight, i'd say it probably was a mistake for him to leave. I'd say that Richmond would probably advise young Johnson to go the way of the AHL.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Caniacforever said:
I've heard through the grapevine that Richmond wasn't exactly thrilled with the way he was handled with Michigan. However, he was treated worse with London. So in hindsight, i'd say it probably was a mistake for him to leave. I'd say that Richmond would probably advise young Johnson to go the way of the AHL.

I think Richmond was young and couldn't stand the criticism. His received a lot of hype as the top born American defenseman entering college. Michigan knew he'd be an offensive defenseman, but he might as well have played forward his one year at U-M. He was a total defensive liability, pinching way too often at the wrong times and leaving his partner hanging dry. Under normal circumstances Berenson probably would have benched him for a weekend to get him under control, much like he has other top players on the team (just last season T.J. Hensick and Andrew Ebbett were both benched for a game or two and they both responded in huge ways). But U-M's defense was ultra-thin at the time, so he had no choice but to play him.

But, on the flip side of Richmond's advice would be Aaron Ward, another U-M alum. Ward loved his time at Michigan and typically comes back every summer for the annual alumni hockey game. I wouldn't be surprised if he told Johnson to go enjoy a year or two of school. For every one Richmond, there are several others who feel the opposite about their time at U-M.

CechMY5HOLEman-ek!

Feb 27, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
clefty said:

Not that I'm advocating anything in Jack Johnson's case, but I do remember Phil Housley going straight from the USHL to the NHL. Of course that was about 25 years ago.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
MHNet said:
Actually, the Under-18 Team plays several colleges and USHL teams.

I know that. They play exhibition games.

I think it's the Under-17 Team that plays an NAHL schedule.

I looked on the NAHL website to double check, and its the Under-18 team.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
pavel datsyuk said:
Johnson needs a couple years in college before he can make the jump. It would be extremely stupid of rutherford to rush this prospect. IMO it will stunt his development.

Johnson would be much better served in the AHL and I believe that is what Rutherford will advise him to do. Furthermore, playing in the AHL does not count towards any time in relation to the seven year time limit before unrestircted free agency sets in.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
clefty said:
I looked on the NAHL website to double check, and its the Under-18 team.

The Under-17 Team plays the majority of NAHL games. The U-18 plays a few, but look at the regular season and playoff stats for the U.S. Team...

Regular Season

Playoff Stats

Jack Johnson only played 12 games against NAHL teams and didn't play one playoff game. Kids like Patrick Kane, Billy Sweatt, Blake Geoffrion, etc... the Under-17 kids... played around 40 games.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
But the Under-18 team do play in the NAHL, which is what I was saying. It doesn't have much to do with my point, anyway. The point was, its a big jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad