Jack Johnson vs Erik Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger's Pancreas*

USA's blueline is going to be sick eight years from now.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Panasonic Youth said:
yup. Not to mention the offense.. Kesler, Parise, Kessel, Skille, Oshie, Wheeler, Okposo, tons more. USA is really starting up a huge talent wave in these current years.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jack Johnson is quite a bit like Chris Chelios in the way that he approaches the game. Ray Bourque is a bit off in my opinion, because Bourque wasn't ever as immensely physical as Jack Johnson plays. He also had world class vision and passing ability, and I honestly don't think Johnson has a gear quite like that. Bourque was a generational defenseman, Johnson is probably going to be an elite defenseman quite a bit like a Rob Blake.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Caniacforever said:
Jack Johnson is quite a bit like Chris Chelios in the way that he approaches the game. Ray Bourque is a bit off in my opinion, because Bourque wasn't ever as immensely physical as Jack Johnson plays. He also had world class vision and passing ability, and I honestly don't think Johnson has a gear quite like that. Bourque was a generational defenseman, Johnson is probably going to be an elite defenseman quite a bit like a Rob Blake.
Like I said, it was more a style comparison. Chelios is another good one. I just get a Bourque-ish vibe from watching JJ play, the way he skates and plays the game (obviously a notch below offensively, and a grittier defensive player, not saying Bourque was a slouch).

edit: I just think that JJ looks like Bourque out there, thats where I got the comparison. Looking at it, he resembles Chelios style wise way more than Bourque.

I don't know if Pronger is the best EJ comparison... they are both big but are good at different things..

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
jtuzzi said:
yup. Not to mention the offense.. Kesler, Parise, Kessel, Skille, Oshie, Wheeler, Okposo, tons more. USA is really starting up a huge talent wave in these current years.

Kesler? He might make the team as a checking line forward, but I wouldn't say he'll be a big part of the offence. Not that i'm saying that your personal BIAS played any part of you mentioning him.

Just kidding. :propeller

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Panasonic Youth said:
And if Pittsburgh can land Erik Johnson, they'll also feature US Dmen Brooks Orpik, Ryan Whitney, Noah Welch and Alex Goligoski.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
scoutman1 said:
I think alot of people are going to pick Erik even though IMO Jack is the better player all around. Erik is the flavour of the month type thing and alot of people will be jumping on his bad wagen. But Jack is just amazing.

Exactly.... There's alot of flavour of the month fan boys on here... which is expected but Jack Johnson is one hell of a hockey player. It's close but I take JJ.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lidstrom is about as close a comparison as you can get for Erik. Just a bit stronger in his checks he is.

I picked Jack as of now, but I feel that Erik has a huge chance at overtaking Jack this comming year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Evilo said:
And if Pittsburgh can land Erik Johnson, they'll also feature US Dmen Brooks Orpik, Ryan Whitney, Noah Welch and Alex Goligoski.

I think you might see Orpik replaced. Kid doesn't look good at all when he's out there. Welch, though, is a monster. Man alive is he going to be good.

And I've never liked Goligoski from when he was drafted till now. Just don't like his play. Has good potential I guess, but not a favorite of mine!

Whitney, Welch, and if St. Louis passes up on Johnson... Man alive!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
jtuzzi said:

And next year in Nick Petrecki, Pat Kane, James van Riemsdyk, Tristin Llewellyn, James O'Brien, Mike Hoeffel, and Brett Sonne all projected as first round picks right now!

Llewellyn might be the EJ of next years draft. The kid is a STUD. Petrecki is better and a better future most likely, but I think that you'll see Llewellyn rise like hell.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This is what McKeens had to say about EJ's U18:

Erik Johnson (2006), D, 6-4-6-10
Review: Johnson was simply the best player in the whole tournament, despite an unnecessary game misconduct for an excessive hit in the final. His overall skill level and maturity was head and shoulders above anyone else and at times it looked like a seasoned veteran from a top Euro league had dropped down on the ice, playing against kids.
Scouting: One of the biggest players in the tournament, but also one of the most mobile .. doesn't have single major flaw in his skating, as he turns very well and has no problems with his lateral movement .. smooth stride and when he gears up to top speed, he can catch anyone and few can catch him .. handles the puck with ease and great confidence, soft hands and could dangle his way end-to-end if he likes .. could get overconfident at times, but that's very rare and if so, he was able to clean up his own mess .. stellar passing game and vision and controls the powerplay from the point with great poise .. possesses a very hard and clean slap shot that he releases with great quickness, only the accuracy of it isn't quite NHL caliber just yet .. physically, he is a brute force at this level .. delivers excellent open-ice hits when the opportunity arises and obviously doesn't back down in his own end, where his size, hockey sense and mobility, make him almost impossible to get around .. is the type of player that thrives when the game gets physical, although he doesn't have to hit much really, as his hockey sense would take care of most things defensively anyway, but he does it just for the sheer joy of hitting .. all-in-all, a tremendous package that could be NHL ready this fall.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Jon Prescription said:
I think you might see Orpik replaced. Kid doesn't look good at all when he's out there. Welch, though, is a monster. Man alive is he going to be good.

And I've never liked Goligoski from when he was drafted till now. Just don't like his play. Has good potential I guess, but not a favorite of mine!

Whitney, Welch, and if St. Louis passes up on Johnson... Man alive!
Orpik has had a rough season, that's for sure. Especially after the Cole hit.
That said, the kid still has a lot of ability.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Evilo said:
Orpik has had a rough season, that's for sure. Especially after the Cole hit.
That said, the kid still has a lot of ability.

It just seems like he's a stupid player on the ice. He has his smart spurts, but I caught him doing more stupid plays than good, to say the least. He seems to have a ton of natural ability but doesn't have the brain power to use it right.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
This is what McKeens had to say about EJ's U18:

Erik Johnson (2006), D, 6-4-6-10
Review: Johnson was simply the best player in the whole tournament, despite an unnecessary game misconduct for an excessive hit in the final. His overall skill level and maturity was head and shoulders above anyone else and at times it looked like a seasoned veteran from a top Euro league had dropped down on the ice, playing against kids.
Scouting: One of the biggest players in the tournament, but also one of the most mobile .. doesn't have single major flaw in his skating, as he turns very well and has no problems with his lateral movement .. smooth stride and when he gears up to top speed, he can catch anyone and few can catch him .. handles the puck with ease and great confidence, soft hands and could dangle his way end-to-end if he likes .. could get overconfident at times, but that's very rare and if so, he was able to clean up his own mess .. stellar passing game and vision and controls the powerplay from the point with great poise .. possesses a very hard and clean slap shot that he releases with great quickness, only the accuracy of it isn't quite NHL caliber just yet .. physically, he is a brute force at this level .. delivers excellent open-ice hits when the opportunity arises and obviously doesn't back down in his own end, where his size, hockey sense and mobility, make him almost impossible to get around .. is the type of player that thrives when the game gets physical, although he doesn't have to hit much really, as his hockey sense would take care of most things defensively anyway, but he does it just for the sheer joy of hitting .. all-in-all, a tremendous package that could be NHL ready this fall.
is this the wjc's or the under 18's? if its the under 18's as you say than it isnt really a fair comparison to jj. if its the wjc's, could you post what they put in there for jj as well?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
bleedgreen said:
is this the wjc's or the under 18's? if its the under 18's as you say than it isnt really a fair comparison to jj. if its the wjc's, could you post what they put in there for jj as well?

That was the U18s that just happened.

It just goes to show you how far Erik has progressed over the course of the year.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Captain Conservative said:
Kesler? He might make the team as a checking line forward, but I wouldn't say he'll be a big part of the offence. Not that i'm saying that your personal BIAS played any part of you mentioning him.

Just kidding. :propeller
yea I just tried to sneak him in. :)

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
bleedgreen said:
u-18's

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Here is what was said about JJ's U18 performance last year:

07/09/2005 - (u18) Tournament wrap-up: turned out to be a dynamo on the USA back rows .. proved his dominance over his peers with an inspiring two-way performance highlighted by plenty of toughness .. threw bone-crunching hits when needed .. strong offensive force during the opening three games of the tournament .. dominated at both ends of the ice and didn't register a single off-game in this tournament .. his offensive prowess thrived on powerplays where Johnson delivered surprisingly crisp feeds with regularity and ranked as one of the tournament's best powerplay quarterbacks .. played well in the gold-medal game . made a strong push for an All-Star nomination with his play, but surprisingly ended up the odd man out .. most penalized player of the tournament (35 PIM's) .. along with teammate Justin Mercier and Finnish Oskar Osala the only player in the tournament to receive a game misconduct penalty for boarding in the game against the Czech Republic .. tied with Nathan Gerbe for second place on Team USA in +/- (+7). Scouting: a swift skater with above-average straightaway speed .. very good first-step quickness .. solid lateral movement .. impressive balance on his skates .. tough to get knocked off his feet .. an offensive-minded defenseman .. uses his speed to lead the offensive rushes .. often joins the rush and supports the offense .. a smooth puckhandler who likes to have the puck on his stick .. a bit greedy in puck possession as he tries to dangle a number of opponents instead of making the simple pass .. can make plays while still moving his feet .. very smart creatively .. good vision and hockey sense .. excellent powerplay quarterback .. makes hard and accurate passes at both short and long distances .. willing to let his hard slap shot go .. keeps his shots low on the ice and tippable .. his defensive play is solid, but it is his offensive upside which catches attention .. doesn't suffer from many positional breakdowns .. spots his man quickly .. a determined hitter who likes to throw his weight around .. strong at finishing his checks .. plays with a constant edge and clears the crease with determination.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Also, just from reading the two comparisons it sounds like EJ had the better U18.

You can't compare their WJC's since JJ is a full year older than EJ is and is more physically mature at this point.

EJ is definately progressing in an insanely fast way.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Its good for EJ that he will be drafted this year. Sounds alot like Kessel. Last year Kessel could do no wrong. When EJ and what JJ also figured out college is a big step up form the u18 team. All three belong and are the better players. But like Kessel this year EJ will be under a superscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->