Jack Johnson V.S. Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
dannoabram said:
what i meant by that was that he developed in the chl in canada where its a more pro like grind (72 games vs like 30 in ncaa) far more physical league. the whl churns out more stud d men than ncaa. it wasnt a canada vs us sorry if you percieved it that way. please lets not have a big can vs us thread.

The OHL turns out more quality wingers than the NCAA but would you rather have Dany Heatley or Raffi Torres? Not that I'm comparing Johnson to Heater and Weber to Torres, but just that the "CHL is tougher than the NCAA" argument is as flawed as a +/- argument.

And Danno, it might interest you that of the last 14 defencemen to win the Norris after the stretch of Orr, 4 NCAA players in Rod Langway (New Hampshire), Chris Chelios (Wisconsin), Brian Leetch (Boston College), and Rob Blake (Bowling Green) have won it whereas only one Dubster in Scott Niedermayer has.

As for my choice, I think it really depends on what you look for in a defenceman. Weber's offensive part of his game might not translate to the NHL, and Johnson's physicality might not be as pronounced as it is in the NCAA. Myself, I'll take my chances with Johnson as I'd rather have someone that tops out as a stand-alone no. 1 rather than a 1a or 1b, even one who is as safe as Weber.

Last edited:

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
Pete Rock said:
The OHL turns out more quality wingers than the NCAA but would you rather have Dany Heatley or Raffi Torres? Not that I'm comparing Johnson to Heater and Weber to Torres, but just that the "CHL is tougher than the NCAA" argument is as flawed as a +/- argument.

And Danno, it might interest you that of the last 14 defencemen to win the Norris after the stretch of Orr, 4 NCAA players in Rod Langway (New Hampshire), Chris Chelios (Wisconsin), Brian Leetch (Boston College), and Rob Blake (Bowling Green) have won it whereas only one Dubster in Scott Niedermayer has.

As for my choice, I think it really depends on what you look for in a defenceman. Weber's offensive part of his game might not translate to the NHL, and Johnson's physicality might not be as pronounced as it is in the NCAA. Myself, I'll take my chances with Johnson as I'd rather have someone that tops out as a stand-alone no. 1 rather than a 1a or 1b, even one who is as safe as Weber.
i see what you mean and i know not every chl player is better than ncaa but i think when it comes to developing dmen the dub churns out more. and i dont know if either weber or jj will win a norris but in game 7 of a cup final i think id want weber even if the offensive part of his game doesnt appear as much as it did in kelowna or the ahl. to me i dont think jj is as proven as weber and weber is 2 years older. i think nashville got a steal when they got weber in the 2nd round 49th overall. tim ramholt, mike egener shawn belle. all picked before him and id take him over them. wow if calgary had picked weber at pick #39 instead of ramholt they would have a phaneuf weber combo wow that would be nice to have.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
dannoabram said:
wow if calgary had picked weber at pick #39 instead of ramholt they would have a phaneuf weber combo wow that would be nice to have.

The Preds could say the same thing having picked Suter over Phaneuf. :D

As for JJ over Shea, I'd have to give JJ the edge based solely on hype. JJ was the #2 player in the draft behind Crosby in the minds of most. With that in mind, I'd go with him. I think Shea has skyrocketed up the charts and has the potential to be a dominant physical Dmen with a great point shot and solid distribution skills. But from all I've read about JJ, it appears he could be that notch above. He could be the Brian Leetch with a physical game and mean streak.

It's hard to justify based on my lack of exposure to JJ, but if you believe only a little of what you read, I think Jack's ceiling is too much to pass up.

Last edited:

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
During the 2005 WJC I thought that Shea Weber was better defensively (especially in the hitting department) then Phaneuf, but he didn't show his offensive side that much. From what he has done since that tournament, it seems that he has rounded out his game a bit more. JJ was a number 2 overall pick and has been phenominal in his NCAA debut. He was great in the 2006 WJC, but his team had no cohesiveness.

Carolina Hurricaines wanted JJ this year and still want him to join them at the end of the season after his college year is over. As far as I am concerned, he is already ahead of Weber and should be the obvious choice in this debate. However, it is great to see how well Weber has developed since he was drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->