Jack Johnson or Jay Bouwmeester?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by trojan4, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trojan4

trojan4 Registered User

Both Top Defensemen from their Draft Class... which player will have a better career and what star defensemen would you compare them to?

2. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

I'd take Jay-Bo.

3. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    the big edge in johnson's favor is that he is a physical dman...

4. jmelm

jmelm Registered User

Home Page:
    I love Jbo but saying he's the top dman from his draft class is questionable.

I'd take Pitkanen in a heartbeat over either of those two.

5. FLYLine27*

FLYLine27* BUCH

PO
    Again...I can only go by the hype Johnson with Johnson..im going with him. The next Pronger?....yea I dont think i'd mind that on the rangers plate. :)

6. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    Comparisons... ok, J-Bo to Scott Niedermayer, and J-Jo to Chris Chelios. But that's pretty much purely stylistic. There hasn't really been an indication yet from either of them that they really project to have the same offensive impact to a game, or can contend for the big prizes or anything like that. Who knows. They might or they might not. But if they max out to that potential, or if they just end up as poor man's versions of Niedermayer and Chelios... then... I'll take the Chelios career over the Niedermayer career. :dunno:

(Does that mean I'd take Johnson over J-Bo... jeez, maybe, although it's hard to overlook J-Bo's skills when the unpolished and unproven Johnson is all that's going up against him. So in reality probably I wouldn't, right here right now, if I was an NHL GM. But as a goofy fantasy scout, I would, just because I have the freedom to indulge my stylistic preferences with no worry of repercussion. :) )

7. disturbedraven

disturbedraven Lets rock

Home Page:
    Here is my outlook on the whole Johnson/Bouwmeester. I will give Bouwmeester the edge for now, its too early to tell if Johnson will have a better career then J-Bo. Thus far J-Bo has accomplished a lot in his young career. Normally I would say that Johnsons success will depend on what Team he gets drafted by. J-Bo will be a part of a very powerful Panthers team. With the likes of Horton, Stewart, Weiss, Luongo, and many others the Panthers will be a very strong team of the future. So, J-Bo could have a very good career if FLA continues to develop as schedualed and could sign some key UFA's. Johnson will probably still be at least 2 seasons away from NHL level but if he goes to a team who has a solid core of players then Johnson could work wonders, but if he goes to a weak team (ie the pittsburgh of the last NHL season) or similar then He will be a big fish in a small pond and wont really have much to work with to help him shine.

So its pretty much too early to Tell, but for now I'd give J-Bo the edge.

8. hockeyGod

hockeyGod Registered User

Home Page:
    I would take Jacks music making ability over Jbos anyday

9. Captain Conservative

Captain Conservative Registered User

Any sane person would clearly have to choose Jay Bouwmeester over Jack Johnson. Jay Bouwmeester is one of the top 6 or 7 Canadian defencemen playing hockey right now and starred for them at the World Championships and was a part of the winning World Cup Effort. Regardless of any error in team management, Johnson didn't even make the United States Junior squad. Of course, Bouwmeester has a 3 year head start on Jack. In 2 years we'll have a MUCH clearer idea of how Jack Johnson stacks up to Jay Bouwmeester.

10. Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout Registered User

Johnson will be better than Bouwmeester will ever be before his 25th birthday.

11. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:
    toss up.

I think Johnson has a bigger upside, but Jay-bo is more likely to reach his.

12. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

Bouwmeester and it's not even close at this point, let's come back when Johnson actually achieves something, at this point it's only hype based results in league greatly inferior to CHL.

13. arnie

arnie Registered User

Johnson isn't even close to being in Bouwmeester's class. It seems like a lot of people respond to who is getting the most hype 2 hours ago. But Johnson is just a good prospect, but far from a conmsensus #2 in this upcoming mediocre draft. Bouwmeester was consensus #1 in the best top 4 picks in years. Bouwmeester had been the consensus #1 for 2 years before that draft!. It isn't even close.

14. John Flyers Fan

John Flyers Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    Now, I've never seen johnson play, but unless he grows 5 inches and puts on 35 pounds he isn't going to be Chris Pronger.

15. Sammy*

Sammy* Guest

As much as I agree with your point, Boumeester was actually picked #3.

16. Fighter

Fighter Always on the move

Traveller
    Ditto.
    I'm not a big fan of Jay-Bo so I expect Johnson to be a better player.

17. trojan4

trojan4 Registered User

That's because of team needs.
    Columbus wanted a forward (Nash)
    Atlanta wanted a goalie (Lehtonen)
    Florida wanted a defenseman (Bouwmeester)

they were all the best at their positions no matter at what no. they were drafted

18. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I'd give the nod to Bouwmeester now, but I find it humorous to see people make that argument while downplaying Johnson's potential. He'll likely be picked 2nd in a draft that, while overall isn't tremendously strong but has a very potent top ten. Also, he has elements to his game that Bouwmeester never will (such as his competitiveness and physical play) while being an excellent skater in his own right and possessing considerable offensive upside. Johnson has a great chance of ultimately being the better defenseman.

19. Tricolore#20

Tricolore#20 PK PK PK

Home Page:
    I'd take Jay-Bo. All the flaws that Jay-Bo may have shown thus far (lack of offense, lack of physical play) will be improved through Jacques Martin's coaching. I firmly believe that. As someone mentioned earlier, I think the team to which JJ is drafted will influence how he will turn out.

THat said, I'd like to cue Lauser3 to this discussion :D

20. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

I'd take Bouwmeester, seeing as we already know for sure he's NHL material.

Nothing again't Johnson, I see him as a guy who will turn out great, but I just can't pass up a sure thing. It'd be like taking Ovechkin over Nash, when we already know Nash has got skills that have transfered to the NHL level.

21. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

Ovechkin has proved himself on several different levels, from RSL to WJC.

Johnson hasn't done **** so far. So let's come back to this issue when Johnson actually achieves something.

22. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I guess it depends on what you define as an accomplishment. There has to be some reason he's the top ranked defenseman in this draft, and according to more than one source the 2nd ranked prospect. As for Ovechkin, yeah he's played at a high level at every level except the one that matters most: The NHL.

23. Clutch Mediocrity

Clutch Mediocrity Registered User

Home Page:
    J-Bo for the simple fact that he's already somewhat proven. As a Sens fan I know all about really high picks not being the stars their expected to be (Daigle, Berrard, Phillips*, Bonk). I think J-Jo has a higher ceiling, but there is always a fair chance he doesn't reach it. And I think the value prospects, fittingly enough for hockey's future, is overrated around here.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2005
  24. MojoJojo

MojoJojo Registered User

Home Page:
    It kills me whenever anyone says that Jbo is a proven player. So far he has dramatically failed to live up to expectations. The games I saw him play in the AHL, he was good but not dominant defensively, was not physical, and his production was non existent. NHL, the only thing you can say he has "accomplished" is becoming Floridas top defenseman in icetime at the age of 19, where again he did not produce and lead the team with one of the worst +- over two seasons. He is still quite young, and he could still realize his upside, but you cant tell me that based on that record he should be ranked above all other prospects because he is a proven player.

25. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

Bouwmeester has shown that he's capable of playing at the NHL level. Johnson has not (although he's had no opportunity) but in my oppinion if Johnson does what Bouwmeester has then Johnson will be a success, and therefore Bouwmeester has been too. The difference is that Bouwmeester's hype was greater (in my oppinion) due to him being Canadian, and being in the Canadian spotlight. (I'm Canadian, it's ok for my to say it :handclap: )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.