Jack Johnson or Dion Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
So everyones probably read the thread about Jack Johnson by now, who would you rather have Johnson or Phaneuf. Who would you rather have for the next 10 years b/c right now i'd say Phaneuf b/c he has more experience, 2 years older and his stock has skyrocketed since being drafted.

So over the long haul who would you rather have and why?

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
I think this question would be better for after Johnson plays at the WJCs and more people get to actually see him play and how he performs against the best junior players in the world.

Otherwise everyone's just going off of early 2nd hand reports.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Postman said:
I think this question would be better for after Johnson plays at the WJCs and more people get to actually see him play and how he performs against the best junior players in the world.

Otherwise everyone's just going off of early 2nd hand reports.

True, i'll be watching for him at the WJC but I can't wait a month, I wanna know NOW :cry:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Leachmeister2000 said:
Is he that much of a lock to make the team?
He should be, yes.

The US seems to avoid adding 17 year olds at the WJCs, but Johnson and Kessel are rarer talents that they'd most likely make an exception for.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
He should be, yes.

The US seems to avoid adding 17 year olds at the WJCs, but Johnson and Kessel are rarer talents that they'd most likely make an exception for.

If they made the exception for Suter, I think the'll do the same for Johnson.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
If I had to pick right now I would choose the guy who has shown more and has shown improvement since being drafted. So I would pick Phaneuf. It is hard to pick because both are so young so I would have to choose on the basis on who has shown more in their young careers. Ask me this in 2-3 years, and my opinion could easily change.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
phaneuf would be in the nhl right now if there was a season, so right now i think you have to give him a distinct edge...maybe next year after johnson has played at the WJC and has some NCAA time under his belt you can make a more fair comparision

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
trahans99 said:
So everyones probably read the thread about Jack Johnson by now, who would you rather have Johnson or Phaneuf. Who would you rather have for the next 10 years b/c right now i'd say Phaneuf b/c he has more experience, 2 years older and his stock has skyrocketed since being drafted.

So over the long haul who would you rather have and why?
Extremely difficult to answer, Dion is 2 years older! Johnson has been dominant against college teams and SHOULD make WJ, hunch here goes to Johnson. Would make a good pair eh? I do know that Crosby will tell anyone that Johnson is the best Dman he has ever played against. That is a fact from Crosby, if you doubt it, ask him!

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hab Fan said:
Extremely difficult to answer, Dion is 2 years older! Johnson has been dominant against college teams and SHOULD make WJ, hunch here goes to Johnson. Would make a good pair eh? I do know that Crosby will tell anyone that Johnson is the best Dman he has ever played against. That is a fact from Crosby, if you doubt it, ask him!

of course johnson is also one of crosby's closest friends so he might be biased

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Hab Fan said:

Playing in the Q it's not like he sees many good ones.

And Crosby never had to play against Joni P. at the WJCs either.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:

True, but I think the bigger factor was pointed out by NYR469. No matter what, you're always gonna say good things about your best friend. Regardless if it's actually perceived to be true or not.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Hab Fan said:

I don't think Crosby has ever played against Johnson, so therefore he can't make that statement.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
I don't think Crosby has ever played against Johnson, so therefore he can't make that statement.

Crosby and Johnson both played on Shattuck in the same year, Crosby in tryouts for the team would have had to have played against him at some point and in team scrimmages, plus in the LA camp they played together and Crosby seen enough of him being on the same team and all to make a good statment.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Epsilon said:

Crosby has seen many good ones, he played Canada Games where he was the only focal point on the team and played against defense such as:

Cam Barker, Mark Fistric, Jonathan Siglat, Mike Card, Wes O'Neill, etc. Plus at the World Juniors last year, at the LA Kings camp, the under 18s. Yeah Crosby hasn't seen enough good defensive players to make a statement like that :loony:

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
moosefan said:
Crosby has seen many good ones, he played Canada Games where he was the only focal point on the team and played against defense such as:

Cam Barker, Mark Fistric, Jonathan Siglat, Mike Card, Wes O'Neill, etc. Plus at the World Juniors last year, at the LA Kings camp, the under 18s. Yeah Crosby hasn't seen enough good defensive players to make a statement like that :loony:
Well said, Crosby isn't stupid. Regardless of their friendship he wouldn't say that unless he meant it. In fact, it looks like Crosby played MORE against Johnson, Shattuck, LA Kings, pick-up etc, than anyone. Who better to know? Johnson and Crosby #1 and 2 possible in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad