Jack Johnson... as a forward.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I've been thinking lately... I've saw this idea discussed before. I truly think that Jack Johnson should transition and be switched to a forward (a la Big Buff/Brent Burns) when and IF the CBJ get as healthy as they can be. If this happened, CBJ would need to look into acquiring a top pairing defenseman. He is putting up decent numberd as a defenseman.. 15 pts in 29 games. Just curious to see what some of you think.

I'm not suggesting that he'll become an elite forward if switched to a forward, by any means.. I just truly believe at this time and point in JJ's career that he'd be better off playing as a forward for us. Thoughts? :sarcasm:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He's been struggling at defending eh?

Kings fans had the same discussion with Jack, and his issue seems to be that he tries to do so much on the ice that he winds up out of position or is a step too late in terms of where he has to be on the ice.

The man truly is an enigma who sadly has yet to live up to the lofty expectations placed upon him when he was drafted 3rd overall in 2005. His best years in hockey were in Michigan.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I've been thinking lately... I've saw this idea discussed before. I truly think that Jack Johnson should transition and be switched to a forward (a la Big Buff/Brent Burns) when and IF the CBJ get as healthy as they can be. If this happened, CBJ would need to look into acquiring a top pairing defenseman. He is putting up decent numberd as a defenseman.. 15 pts in 29 games. Just curious to see what some of you think.

I'm not suggesting that he'll become an elite forward if switched to a forward, by any means.. I just truly believe at this time and point in JJ's career that he'd be better off playing as a forward for us. Thoughts? :sarcasm:
My thought was going to be "this should be on the Jackets forum, because then you'll get some bitter Kings fans assuming this means he's been bad at defending", but it's apparently far too late for that. :)

I don't see why we should move the guy. He's fine where he is positionally; it's his headspace we need to keep under control.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
My thought was going to be "this should be on the Jackets forum, because then you'll get some bitter Kings fans assuming this means he's been bad at defending", but it's apparently far too late for that. :)

I don't see why we should move the guy. He's fine where he is positionally; it's his headspace we need to keep under control.

I can't speak for Ziggy, but I don't think he's bitter about JJ's tenure in Los Angeles. Most of us on the Kings board have no ill will toward him at all, he didn't ask out of LA. I'm bummed for the guy with his recent financial woes.

But yeah, coach should try him at forward. Nothing to lose right? and it worked out great for the sharks and hawks with the examples OP provided.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I wouldn't use the word bitter to describe Kings fans and their feelings towards Jack. I'd say they have a better version of him in Muzzin, as he does what Jack was advertised as doing, having a big shot, providing a big hit every now and then, and being on the top pairing to the left of Doughty. That's what the Kings were hoping they'd get out of Johnson for years but it never came around.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
No. He's been playing great actually. This is just one of those stupid CBJ fan things that wonder if he'd produce more offense up front. Nothing to see here.

hawkeyexp

Feb 23, 2009

That trade basically won us the Stanley cup. What could we be bitter about?

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014

Bitter? Columbus is an awesome team. Thanks for contributing to our two Stanley Cups. You guys can keep Jack Johnson, no hard feelings.

Captain Mittens*

I'm not mad though. Just don't get why anyone would be bitter.

Just like Carter is better in LA. JJ is better in CBS. Win win.
Both of you need of doobie and a shoulder rub.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
I've always thought the Oilers should convert Justin Schultz into a winger...he's got good size, speed, hands, offensive ability. He has like zero defensive awareness though, so he's terrible at his job as a defenseman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad