Jack Eichel vs. Carmelo Anthony

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Idk how many of you know hockey, but I happen to be a Sabres fan. These players seem to share a lot of characteristics:

1. Offensively gifted, but seemingly no natural talent for playing defense

2. Prone to loafing

3. Picked after generational talent and forever thenceforth compared to him

4. Allegedly got coach fired (Melo with D'Antoni)

Praying it's not true. Thanks :)

Last edited:

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I wouldn't mind Eichel having a Melo-like career. Especially with how NHL playoffs work. The scenario I am truly afraid of is more akin to DeMarcus Cousins...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I wouldn't mind Eichel having a Melo-like career. Especially with how NHL playoffs work. The scenario I am truly afraid of is more akin to DeMarcus Cousins...

Well he arguably got his coach fired so theres that.

The thing with Melo is when LBJ/Wade/Bosh all signed 3 year deals in 2007 so they could become free agents in 2010, Melo signed a 5 year deal which screwed his chances at teaming up with any of them and thus got him to where he is now. Gotta give him credit for loyalty but it had to sting seeing your mates team up and get two rings while you've never seen a conference final.

Reactions: StarvingHysterical

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Well he arguably got his coach fired so theres that.

The thing with Melo is when LBJ/Wade/Bosh all signed 3 year deals in 2007 so they could become free agents in 2010, Melo signed a 5 year deal which screwed his chances at teaming up with any of them and thus got him to where he is now. Gotta give him credit for loyalty but it had to sting seeing your mates team up and get two rings while you've never seen a conference final.
Melo made the WCF in 2009

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Sabres fans disagree. Melo never won anything.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think Eichel may end up being better at hockey than Melo is at basketball.

Given that Melo is one of the best pure scorers in the league right now, and that he was arguably the best scorer in the league for a good while, that's one bet I'd never take.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's a really odd comparison considering Eichel's career is just starting out and he's a center on top of it. Kovalchuk would be a better comparison to Carmelo - offensively gifted players who don't play D, questionable meshing with the rest of the team, not much team success, seemingly endless drama and contreversy around them.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Given that Melo is one of the best pure scorers in the league right now, and that he was arguably the best scorer in the league for a good while, that's one bet I'd never take.

When was this exactly? Because it was A.I at the beginning of his career, then it was Kobe for a few, then KD from 2010-2014 and now Westbrook/Curry the last couple years. Melo was always in the discussion and I guess technically he was the best in 2013 but that was also during Durants reign.

It's a really odd comparison considering Eichel's career is just starting out and he's a center on top of it. Kovalchuk would be a better comparison to Carmelo - offensively gifted players who don't play D, questionable meshing with the rest of the team, not much team success, seemingly endless drama and contreversy around them.

That's actually a great comparison. Both have that one "trophy" season, both made a mid career switch to try and win elsewhere.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
I see some parallels, but Melo is a historically overrated player and Eichel is an elite talent. I think Eichel will end up having a better career, possibly by a fair margin.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Carmelo's definitely on the downward arc of his career now, with many viewing him as a one-dimensional, selfish loser. Eichel has plenty of time to write his own narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->