Player Discussion Jack Eichel - Switching from #15 to #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I still think he'll get 9.5 - 10.5 per for max term.

Even if his point total is 65 or 85.

There's more to Eichel's value than pointzzz.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Considering Eichel is mediocre at best defensively at his current development no, there really is not much to his game besides pointzzz. He doesn't PK. He is horrendous At face offs. He is not good defensively. And that's fine. If my franchise player is a ppg+ producer I could care less how his two way game is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I still think he'll get 9.5 - 10.5 per for max term.

Even if his point total is 65 or 85.

There's more to Eichel's value than pointzzz.

There is no way he should get over $9M per if he puts up 65 to 70 points in 82 games this season.

That kind of production would put him on Sean Monahan's level and not warrant one of the top 10 highest cap hits in the entire league.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If Eichel underperformed expectations a bridge deal is exactly what both parties would want. I hope it doesn't come to that, but that's a no brainer.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

"I've always been alive in the days where the NHL teams allow their players to go to the Olympics," Eichel said. "I've had a lot of good memories watching the Olympics and seeing a lot of great players play, so it's something you've always looked up to."

Last edited:

JRiz13

Apr 29, 2013
ATL
Jack should print this and put it in his locker...

Edit: Forgot to quote the post above me. Now I cant figure out how to do it. I dislike the new boards.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Of course there's always a case to be made for what if's, when it comes to what Eichel will get.

What if, this almost 21 year old ...
He gets 65 points over the course of a season where he plays 75-78 games. (out with small injuries for a few games).
He improves even more defensively. (He doesn't suck defensively like some like to spew).
He improves at face-offs from last season.
He has less goals scored against when he's on the ice than last season.
He grows in the leadership roll a little more.
His overall 200 ft game improves.
He helps his line mates have better stats than last year.

If that happens, or even if most of that happens, in my opinion, he's worth the 9.5 - 10.5 mil. per with max term.

If everything or most things stay stagnant or dips ... then yea, i think a logical valid case can be made he's not worth that kind of dough.... yet.

That's just part of why i think he's more than, and will be paid like, someone who isn't just looked at for pointzzzz.

Agree to disagree. :fight:

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
The increased monitoring of slashing calls has certainly deactivated the sticks of dmen, notably as forwards bear down on them with the puck, skating towards the zone.

Wondering if Eichel has seen the small addition of space that results from a less active stick and is trying to do too much with it. I see less urgency and intent in his entries, more hesitation and processing...

That less active stick is a ticket for him to turn his jets on quicker and earlier, use space to make his sick stride even tougher to handle - not to slow down and try to navigate the triangle east to west at slower foot speed, overly stickhandling.

As a semi-related aside, we were so intelligent with our dump-ins versus Montreal, Eichel as well. Placement, speed, timing, pursuit. It was a nice complement to a faster paced possessive attack game, which we saw in spurts. That was gone versus the Islanders and Devils.

:dunno:

Doesn’t seem unfixable.

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Hi, I'm worried about the season and the long-term future. Idk how many of you know basketball, but I happen to be a Knicks fan. These players seem to share a lot of characteristics:

1. Offensively gifted, but seemingly no natural talent for playing defense

2. Prone to loafing

3. Picked after generational talent and forever thenceforth compared to him

Idk as much about hockey as I do basketball. Praying it's not true. Thanks :)

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
Idk how many of you know basketball, but I happen to be a Knicks fan. Anyone familiar with Carmelo Anthony? These players seem to share a lot of characteristics:

1. Offensively gifted, but seemingly no natural talent for playing defense

2. Prone to loafing

3. Picked after generational talent and forever thenceforth compared to him

Idk as much about hockey as I do basketball. Praying it's not true. Thanks :)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
10 time NBA All-Star Carmelo Anthony?
6 time All-NBA Carmelo Anthony?
2013 NBA scoring champion Carmelo Anthony?
Made playoffs for 10 straight years starting at 19 Carmelo Anthony?

Eichel doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Melo at this point.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Another way to look at it is failed management. Anthony was in the playoffs every year before going to NY.

Anthony and Eichel were considered saviors on losing franchises. Anthony couldn't do it alone, neither can Eichel. Botterill has a tough task changing the culture.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
He's getting paid 10 million a year now. You need to be putting forth 100% effort whenever you are on the ice. He looks slower this year than last. Not sure what is wrong with him. I want him and Reinhart back on the same line together.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I see a lot of John Wall in Eichel. The incredible athletic tools, the ability to do things very few players can, their pass-first tendencies. And of course, the way they leave you wanting more on defense.

The difference is, I haven't seen that same fire, the chip on the shoulder, the "f*** you" attitude in Eichel. Wall has it and that's why the Wizards turned their 2-8 start around last year and ended up having an incredible season. Hopefully Jack develops that sooner than Wall did.

StarvingHysterical

Oct 18, 2014
10 time NBA All-Star Carmelo Anthony?
6 time All-NBA Carmelo Anthony?
2013 NBA scoring champion Carmelo Anthony?
Made playoffs for 10 straight years starting at 19 Carmelo Anthony?

Eichel doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Melo at this point.
That's very true. I meant more I could see their careers turning out the same way. And as a Sabres fan, I wouldn't want that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad