Player Discussion Jack Eichel - Switching from #15 to #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There was a proposal for something like that floating blueline by making the blueline wider (8'?) with the outside edge being the zone once you are in it and in the inside edge was the zone to gain to enter it. The whole idea was to leave the neutral zone the same size on attack but make the offensive zone bigger without changing rink size.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I love the floating blue line as a defenseman (I'm typically a goalie, but I've played out in that kind of league) because it allows you to stay engaged while not necessarily having to commit to rushing up. You can hang back at the blue line or even in the neutral zone to watch the play develop, make sure no one gets a step on you, and still hold the puck in pretty easily before it gets beyond the red line. And all that extra space means your skill forwards have a little more real estate to move around in. By basically expanding the offensive zone once you're in, you get more square footage to play with, it's not really like playing on an Olympic surface, but you have some of the same benefit as your defense and maybe the opposing wingers hang out a little further up the ice.

Basically, the fastest way to increase offense in the game is to play around with offsides. There's probably 5 different variations on the rule that you can come up with inside a minute that all would increase flow and possession over what they do now. It's not rocket science.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I didn't know Jack was still dating the Buffalo girl, I see photos of him on social media and he's always on his own it seems.

Hope he marries her, tie him down to the city for good.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Mega-crazy idea, asking to those who officiate and/or instruct officials.

As a possible compromise to the floating blue-line, would it ever be possible to have an arced blue line, one that's convex at the middle of the ice toward the outside perimeter of the center-ice faceoff circle making the offensive zones larger in the center strip of the ice (the last couple zamboni paths), and then concave toward the goal line at each of the side boards.

Say the blue line is moved closer to the goal line at the boards on either side, then arcs toward the faceoff circle at center ice. A streaking winger could be a stride or two ahead of a dead-center puck carrier, and defensively, it might be easier to clear the zone as the attacking team's defensemen would have to guard against a "short" clear up the sides.

Would it reduce the ability for teams to equally space 4 players linearly on their blue line in a 1-4 type setup?

I have no idea if it could be officiated effectively...

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...uffalo-sabres-new-coach-working-brad-marchand

i

Sabres star Jack Eichel on his new coach, working out with Brad Marchand and when he last cried
Emily Kaplan
ESPN

He's in the best shape of his life. His goal is to win the Stanley Cup. He has a sour taste in his mouth about how last season ended.

It's easy to find hockey players spitting these cliches on the brink of a new season. Buffalo Sabres center Jack Eichel was a bit more candid and descriptive about both his summer and his path to the NHL in an interview with ESPN.com during the league's media tour in New York last week. Eichel, who is entering the final season of his three-year rookie contract, missed the first 21 games of the 2016-17 season with a sprained ankle but still led the Sabres with 57 points.

Behind the scenes, Eichel's reps and Sabres management are negotiating a long-term deal to keep the 20-year-old Boston University product in Buffalo. During his conversation with ESPN.com, Eichel discussed how he likes to be coached, how he hopes offseason workouts with Boston Bruins winger Brad Marchand will help him in the defensive zone and the school pride he feels for his two "alma maters" -- Boston University and the Online School of Missouri.

ESPN.com: Your nonhockey buddies must always ask what it's like to play in the NHL. What do you tell them that might surprise them?

Eichel: Guys always want to know about your lifestyle, what your day-to-day [schedule] is. I don't know if they're surprised or not, but if you wake up at 8:30, go to the rink, practice at 11, maybe work out, maybe you don't, more times than not you're back on your couch watching TV at 1:30 or 2 o'clock.

ESPN.com: Do you train in Boston in the offseason?

Eichel: Yeah. A lot of guys will go back and train, even if they're not from Boston, because there are a lot of workout guys or skill guys or skating coaches. This summer I switched it up a little bit. I got a new, one-on-one trainer. In the past years, I trained with a lot of NHL guys: the Hayes brothers, Keith Yandle, [Noah] Hanifin. There's a big group of guys who work out in Foxborough [Massachusetts]. I worked out with them and skated with them. But I switched up my routine a little bit this summer, went with something new and worked out with a new trainer. I got to skate with [Brad] Marchand and [Patrice] Bergeron at the Warrior practice facility, where the Bruins practice. [After] having to chase Marchand every day, hopefully I'll do better in the D-zone and do better on that plus/minus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The one thing in the interview I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet is how you can tell (which we knew) he did NOT like playing for Blysma.

ESPN.com: What has your interaction been like so far with new Sabres coach Phil Housley?

Eichel: I've spoken with him a few times on the phone, and I just met him. He seems like a really down-to-earth guy. He can have a conversation with you that doesn't involve hockey. As players you appreciate that. When he got the job he called me, and we had a good conversation. He told me the way he wants to play this year, what his expectations are.

If coaches are hard on me, they're hard on me. That's fine. I also like my coaches to have a personality. I want them to be able to talk to me about things that aren't about hockey. You come to the rink every day and some days you're in a good mood and some days you're in a bad mood. I like coaches to be able to relate to me a little bit. I've had hard coaches, I've had easy coaches, and it doesn't matter to me how they are as [far as] their personality. I just want to be able to know them outside the neutral-zone forecheck and the offensive zone.

Sounds similar to what GMTM said at his end-of-year presser - go grab some coffee and talk to your players. Seems like he just had no personal relationship with any of the guys. Housley has said since he signed that he plans on having a relationship with the guys, and asking about what's going on in their lives and stuff. So much better.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Sounds similar to what GMTM said at his end-of-year presser - go grab some coffee and talk to your players. Seems like he just had no personal relationship with any of the guys. Housley has said since he signed that he plans on having a relationship with the guys, and asking about what's going on in their lives and stuff. So much better.

Seems like a thin line to walk as a coach, but hopefully Housley can do it. Lord knows Bylsma came off as having zero personality for somebody with 'Disco' as a nickname. People may hate on Murray but at least he had personality in spades.

I have reservations about a rookie Housley as coach, too many flashbacks of being in the upper deck Oranges with people screaming "hit him with your purse Housley!" I guess, but I still have some semi-delusion Buffalo hope. ;)

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-people-will-define-2017-18-nhl-season/

At the centre of every good (and bad and ugly) hockey story, you’ll find people. Here are the 31 newsmakers and game-breakers who will define the 2017-18 NHL season — ranked in order of importance.

11-Jack-Eichel.jpg

“If you look at what I’ve done, it hasn’t been a whole lot,” Jack Eichel said in pre-season. “Two mediocre seasons on a losing team.” The face of a Buffalo Sabres franchise that overhauled its front office, bench, captaincy and defence this summer seems to have high expectations. At 20, Eichel is electrifying on the ice and no-BS off it. The proposition of a full season of Healthy Eichel playing for a new contract should frighten those with designs on the Art Ross. New coach Phil Housley needs to develop a rapport with the superstar, and new GM Jason Botterill must lock Eichel up ASAP.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Well looks like Jack will start the year with no extension. Really no point in rushing it. If he puts up a ppg+ pace then he can get the 10-11 mil he is asking for. If he play some 60 games again or puts up like 65 points over a full season then he's looking at 8.5-9 mil per. Hopefully he earns that 10-11 mil per he wants this season with a 80+ point season and a return to the playoffs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Well looks like Jack will start the year with no extension. Really no point in rushing it. If he puts up a ppg+ pace then he can get the 10-11 mil he is asking for. If he play some 60 games again or puts up like 65 points over a full season then he's looking at 8.5-9 mil per. Hopefully he earns that 10-11 mil per he wants this season with a 80+ point season and a return to the playoffs.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If he puts up 65 points over a full season he is definitely not looking at 8.5mil-9 per...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If he puts up 65 points over a full season he is definitely not looking at 8.5mil-9 per...
Yes he will. No chance he gets less then Draisaitl now even with "just" a 65 point season. Nothing to sneeze at,legit 1C numbers but not elite production. Not that I predict him to only score 65, I got Jack pegged down for 75.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->