Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Miller has basically taken over the Names role on the 1st PP and with Kuch and Stammer.

However, Miller is a much better all around player than Names, throws some big hits and is pretty solid along the boards. His defensive game is pretty good too, plays the PK for us.

Very happy with Miller

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Miller has basically taken over the Names role on the 1st PP and with Kuch and Stammer.

However, Miller is a much better all around player than Miller, throws some big hits and is pretty solid along the boards. His defensive game is pretty good too, plays the PK for us.

Very happy with Miller
I think Miller is way better than Miller

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's adapted really well to playing with top-end players. He tends to be where he needs to be in order to support the other two, and/or finish for them.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
Underrated? This was his biggest skillset coming in... pretty much the only consensus NYR fans had about him.
Okay not underrated I misspoke. I like how calm he is with the puck he's deadly acculturate, it's very deceptive.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Heavy denial over on NYR boards right now. I'm very upset we gave him up but also happy for him as a player.

I don't think the Rangers were going to keep him long term anyways and he just plain quit on the team this year which was infuriating, and I've generally always liked Miller until this season. It was the most blatant and disgusting "eff it I don't give a damn this team sucks and they said they're going to rebuild so why should I try?" I've seen on the Rangers since the dark years. Dude was called upon to be a leader for the team this year and trusted to fill an important role and he just pissed it all away.

All that said...yeah, he's a good player. His situation with Tampa is probably perfect for him and yeah I'm 100% not surprised at all that he's doing excellent. When he's on he's great, and maybe with this kind of roster he can stay "on" for a long time and produce in the playoffs as well (which he never managed to do in NY). I've also always said he probably needs a different coach and a bit of a different system to bring out the best in his offensive game and that seems to be happening as well. I'm frustrated that I don't think AV coached him the right way but I'm even more frustrated with how he quit on the team.

Maybe this is a great turning point for JT Miller and Tampa will never see that side of him

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Another goal last night for JT! That makes 23!

23 is a career high for Miller, which it didn't look like he'd hit in NY this year with 13 goals at the TDL. But he's scored 10 goals with 7 assists in 17 games since the deadline.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Miller has been crazy good for us. Point-per-game, 10 goals in 17, hard on the forecheck, creating space for 86 and 91, always in the right spot, good nose for the net.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Okay not underrated I misspoke. I like how calm he is with the puck he's deadly acculturate, it's very deceptive.
Yes, agree, Miller is very calm with the puck. Finally saw some of that out of McD last night as well. Made smart and quick, but not panicky, decisions in our zone. It's been a problem for him in the early going with TB.

Last edited:

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What a pickup this guy has been. I'd love to keep him around, but he could fetch us a good deadline piece next season if we know it's not going to work out.

He's been a heck of a player. Plays a Killorn game but with skill.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
What a pickup this guy has been. I'd love to keep him around, but he could fetch us a good deadline piece next season if we know it's not going to work out.

He's been a heck of a player. Plays a Killorn game but with skill.
We need to keep him IMO. He should be a part of this offense long term. Hes a great fit

Reactions: LightningStrikes

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We need to keep him IMO. He should be a part of this offense long term. Hes a great fit
Oh for sure. I'd much rather keep him with the team, even if it means someone like Killorn or Johnson going elsewhere to make room.

If TB has big plans in the coming offseasons (Karlsson?) then I'm not sure they can give JT the raise he'll look for after playing with TB for a full season. He looks like a lock to hit 30 goals next season.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Oh for sure. I'd much rather keep him with the team, even if it means someone like Killorn or Johnson going elsewhere to make room.

If TB has big plans in the coming offseasons (Karlsson?) then I'm not sure they can give JT the raise he'll look for after playing with TB for a full season. He looks like a lock to hit 30 goals next season.
He's an rfa this summer though we could lock him up long term

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I actually compare him to Drouin except with size. He's a skilled player who feeds off skill, he can read plays and set up top players but he can't carry an offense or make lesser players better. He's been better defensively lately but I think he's also more motivated playing with better players, he's shown glimpses of disinterest on the defensive side which was probably amplified in NY given their season and his role. Some NY fans might've been critical of him but it's the same reason MTL fans are turning on Drouin, you're using a supporting player in a primary scoring role - of course your expectations are going to be shot.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

However, Miller is a much better all around player than Names, throws some big hits and is pretty solid along the boards. His defensive game is pretty good too, plays the PK for us.

Very happy with Miller

The S5

Jul 27, 2017

Very happy with Miller
I think most Ranger fans agree that Miller is the better player. I am guessing that his departure had something to do with AV and Miller not "playing a 200 foot game". AV is an A - hole of the highest degree!
Glad that the boys are playing well in Tampa. Now please go win a Cup so we can get an additional 1st!

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad