Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If you don't waste 2.5 on Dotchin you'd have plenty of money to sign Miller. Why are you giving Point 6.5 too? Do you think this season and next will be better than the two Kucherov had prior to his bridge deal? Or close to what Stamkos did before his first extension? I like Point but he doesn't have the results to ask for 6.5 yet. Why is Erne getting 1.1? He hasn't done nothing to get a raise on what he makes now, he will sign a 1 year 1 way deal for 800-850k like Koekkoek did last year. We have space for Miller next year, there's no reason we can't resign him.

I also don't see how we are trading Callahan even if we do retain 50%. Unless we are adding to him we aren't getting rid of him that easily unless he puts up 40 points next year.
Yeah I don't see us packaging an asset to move Callahan after we spent so much getting McD and Miller here. It may have been something to consider, but we just lost out on two of our best prospects plus at minimum one first round pick (if not two). That's 4 good assets that we no longer have. While our cupboards aren't bare by any stretch, we lost some of our flexibility in using them as trade bait.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yeah I don't see us packaging an asset to move Callahan after we spent so much getting McD and Miller here. It may have been something to consider, but we just lost out on two of our best prospects plus at minimum one first round pick (if not two). That's 4 good assets that we no longer have. While our cupboards aren't bare by any stretch, we lost some of our flexibility in using them as trade bait.

Something I could see, won't be popular but might be an ok option if we can't get rid of him too easily. Callahan to Buffalo for Bogosian with 1.1mil retained. Say Stralman wants 5mil a year or too many years for us to want to give him a new contract. We save 1.8 in cap, not enough for Kucherov and Point so another deal will probably be needed, and get a veteran defender so we don't have so many young kids. Might have to pay a 4th for the retention which is better than a nice prospect or good pick.

Not sure how his relationship is with Ranger management but maybe something around Callahan for Beleskey? Beleskey makes 1.9 so we would free up 3.9 in cap which is much better. Either way I can't see us moving him without a contract coming back or adding to him, we just need to find the best deal to move him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If you don't waste 2.5 on Dotchin you'd have plenty of money to sign Miller. Why are you giving Point 6.5 too? Do you think this season and next will be better than the two Kucherov had prior to his bridge deal? Or close to what Stamkos did before his first extension? I like Point but he doesn't have the results to ask for 6.5 yet. Why is Erne getting 1.1? He hasn't done nothing to get a raise on what he makes now, he will sign a 1 year 1 way deal for 800-850k like Koekkoek did last year. We have space for Miller next year, there's no reason we can't resign him.

I also don't see how we are trading Callahan even if we do retain 50%. Unless we are adding to him we aren't getting rid of him that easily unless he puts up 40 points next year.

Why would you want to bridge Point? Give him 6m long term and keep us from another crunch later on which can compeltely afford now.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Redwings fan here, hows J.T Miller been compared to Namesnikov? I know its 6 or 7 games, but what are the early thoughts??

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Why would you want to bridge Point? Give him 6m long term and keep us from another crunch later on which can compeltely afford now.

Because we've bridged every other player, he isn't above any of them to where he doesn't need to be bridged. His numbers aren't even amazing where a bridge would be an insult to him. His numbers aren't even good enough that he deserves 6+ a year either. If he wants 5mil for 8 years then do that. Bridging him also makes us retain him till hid early 30's, he isn't a UFA late 20's. Palat comes off 3 years after he is due a new contract, do a 3 year bridge and there's your money for his next deal.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Redwings fan here, hows J.T Miller been compared to Namesnikov? I know its 6 or 7 games, but what are the early thoughts??
To me it's in the forecheck. Vladdy did good at it but is 190 while Miller is like 25 pounds heavier. His forecheck is just so much heavier which has led to a bunch of turnovers. Him producing like crazy has been nice too.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Because we've bridged every other player, he isn't above any of them to where he doesn't need to be bridged. His numbers aren't even amazing where a bridge would be an insult to him. His numbers aren't even good enough that he deserves 6+ a year either. If he wants 5mil for 8 years then do that. Bridging him also makes us retain him till hid early 30's, he isn't a UFA late 20's. Palat comes off 3 years after he is due a new contract, do a 3 year bridge and there's your money for his next deal.

6 may be a little high, but I suspect they'll lock Point in for term, along the lines of Trocheck, Drouin, Barkov and Macknninon who are his peers. Between 4.75-5.5m and 6-8 years.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Bridging Point to me is just the way Yzerman rolls. To me this is just standard procedure. He’ll get well below what Kuch got as his bridge. Most of the contracts we have signed long term open up with the modified NTCs during last 2 or 3 years of the contracts so Yzerman has some flexibility there.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
6 may be a little high, but I suspect they'll lock Point in for term, along the lines of Trocheck, Drouin, Barkov and Macknninon who are his peers. Between 4.75-5.5m and 6-8 years.

If you can get him for 5 x 8 then I'll be all for locking him up, I just can't see him signing for that.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Bridging Point to me is just the way Yzerman rolls. To me this is just standard procedure. He’ll get well below what Kuch got as his bridge. Most of the contracts we have signed long term open up with the modified NTCs during last 2 or 3 years of the contracts so Yzerman has some flexibility there.
Brayden point I’d say 4.2 per year for a three year term. Miller gets a 6 year term for 5 avv I’d say. Kucherov 8 year term 8.5 per season avv.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Brayden point I’d say 4.2 per year for a three year term. Miller gets a 6 year term for 5 avv I’d say. Kucherov 8 year term 8.5 per season avv.

After seeing how SY has done things in the past, these seem like numbers they would get.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Where on earth would Miller ever be worth more than Point? I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it

You could say the same thing about Kuch and a lot of other players in this league. Age and length in league does matter in some places. Its about using ELC in the best way you can. It helps in a cap world tremendously. It comes down to keeping a competitive team competitive. Its hard to stay competitive when you just hand your best players a lot of money when they havent even gotten out of RFA yet.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Its a bridge contract...

It's not that I don't understand why we would not bridge Point after we've done so with every player before him. It's just that I'd rather lock him up for something like $6.5 million right now before he becomes worth a lot more and I don't want to have to hope he's the kind of guy being okay with making less than 50 point player when he may very well finish next season with 70.

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Where on earth would Miller ever be worth more than Point? I don't know maybe I'm just thinking too hard about it

You do know that Palat, Johnson and Callahan make more than Kucherov this season right? This place on Earth, right here.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You do know that Palat, Johnson and Callahan make more than Kucherov this season right? This place on Earth, right here.

Palat and Johnson signed their deal after Kucherov. Callahan signed his contract years before the fact. And at the time we couldn't afford to give Kucherov what he was truly worth even if we wanted to with the cap crunch the following year. With the core locked up we can afford to do things a little differently now.

Bridge contracts aren't this ceremonious rite of passage. People forget that Stamkos cashed in to the tune of $8 million a year after his entry deal was up. I fully agree with you that we should just sign Point and be done with it

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
If I was Kucherov I would be pretty pissed if Point avoided a bridge and I didn't. That being said, how can you not lock Point up? If he plays this well next season he'll have accomplished more on his ELC than most high draft picks.

EDIT: With that being said, none of us expected a Kucherov bridge until we got deep into August.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If I was Kucherov I would be pretty pissed if Point avoided a bridge and I didn't. That being said, how can you not lock Point up? If he plays this well next season he'll have accomplished more on his ELC than most high draft picks.

EDIT: With that being said, none of us expected a Kucherov bridge until we got deep into August.

Why would he be pissed..... you do know the bridge worked in Kucherov's favor as well right? He'll make 8-10m on a max length contract per year on average compared to the 6 or 7 he would've taken off his ELC.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Why would he be pissed..... you do know the bridge worked in Kucherov's favor as well right? He'll make 8-10m on a max length contract per year on average compared to the 6 or 7 he would've taken off his ELC.

In hindsight, yes he'll be happy about the actual dollars on his next contract, but that's something he had to work his ass off for. Let's not make it seem like Yzerman did him a big favor. At the time, he gave up security and value (even for a bridge contract) after a lengthy wait. It was a steal of a contract for a player who had been a massive part of two deep playoff runs. Perhaps "pissed" is the wrong word to use, but it would be frustrating to see another player get different treatment.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In hindsight, yes he'll be happy about the actual dollars on his next contract, but that's something he had to work his ass off for. Let's not make it seem like Yzerman did him a big favor. At the time, he gave up security and value (even for a bridge contract) after a lengthy wait. It was a steal of a contract for a player who had been a massive part of two deep playoff runs. Perhaps "pissed" is the wrong word to use, but it would be frustrating to see another player get different treatment.

I highly doubt it you usually leave the business side out of it, otherwise Callahan would be the most hated player on the team - yet that's clearly not the case..

Reactions: Stamper

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I dont expect Point to get different treatment. Doesnt seem like SYs style. How I think these go down with SY is he will tell them what needs to be done for this team for it to succeed and how much money is needed for things. He will also tell him about how other players on this team took a discount and he will show how other teams players will sometimes take pay cuts to help the team out. Its part of a winning culture and how one guy isnt more important than another as far as contracts go. Which as a player when you hear this you either go two ways, you go with the program (which Stamkos, Hedman, and Kuch have all done) or you demand your value, which is good for you but can limit a team. I think SY wants to limit as least as he can. ELC and guys taking discounts are a great way to do that. Its not personal, its a team culture thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I highly doubt it you usually leave the business side out of it, otherwise Callahan would be the most hated player on the team - yet that's clearly not the case..

Oh, I'm not expecting any anger towards Point. Kucherov probably knows as much as anyone that he deserves the contract he's about to earn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->