Player Discussion: J.T. Miller

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Miller's performance likely means we have to move SOMEBODY. Could be Killorn (if possible), could be Johnson, or it could be Miller himself. No matter what happens, we'll probably have some futures rolling in. Meanwhile, the core of our team will still all be under 30 next year.

The big thing with Miller, as Sky pointed out, is he really clicks with skilled players, and we obviously have an embarrassment of riches in that area. So Miller is pretty much what Alex Killorn could never be (at least in the regular season).

I think we'll have to wait until the off-season to really know our path forward.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Miller's performance likely means we have to move SOMEBODY. Could be Killorn (if possible), could be Johnson, or it could be Miller himself. No matter what happens, we'll probably have some futures rolling in. Meanwhile, the core of our team will still all be under 30 next year.

The big thing with Miller, as Sky pointed out, is he really clicks with skilled players, and we obviously have an embarrassment of riches in that area. So Miller is pretty much what Alex Killorn could never be (at least in the regular season).

I think we'll have to wait until the off-season to really know our path forward.

"Playoff heroes" get moved all the time, you don't wait 82 games for a guy to show up and then take the chance that he shows up. Miller is the better player, and we should prioritize keeping better players.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
"Playoff heroes" get moved all the time, you don't wait 82 games for a guy to show up and then take the chance that he shows up. Miller is the better player, and we should prioritize keeping better players.
Also - Killorn's contract is fairly movable (outside of the NTC issue, but those get waived all of the time). 5 years at 4.45 is below what he would get on the open market.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Also - Killorn's contract is fairly movable (outside of the NTC issue, but those get waived all of the time). 5 years at 4.45 is below what he would get on the open market.

And a career year at that, so right on queue to be moved. Use him for the playoffs, hopefully he plays well and we win a cup then move him at his best value. We don't even need roster players coming back.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I actually compare him to Drouin except with size. He's a skilled player who feeds off skill, he can read plays and set up top players but he can't carry an offense or make lesser players better. He's been better defensively lately but I think he's also more motivated playing with better players, he's shown glimpses of disinterest on the defensive side which was probably amplified in NY given their season and his role. Some NY fans might've been critical of him but it's the same reason MTL fans are turning on Drouin, you're using a supporting player in a primary scoring role - of course your expectations are going to be shot.

This is mostly correct, but he wasn't being used as a primary scorer, he just happened to be one of our better scorers. He was middle of the team in offensive deployment I'd say. I don't know what the stats would look like, but that's how I remember it from the past few seasons.

And really, you guys have as much offensive depth in the league as there is. We actually have a pretty good offense, which was even deeper before we went into sell mode. AV plays counter attack hockey to an extreme. I'm pretty sure we give up like the second or third most shots in the league, take among the least, but have the most high quality chances in the league. I think Miller was a byproduct of that and looks much better, offensively and defensively, in a more puck-possession oriented system on the offensive end and a more of a zone system on the defensive end.

Excellent to see JT having so much success though. I always liked his game. He was one of my favorite Rangers. Not thrilled with McDonagh's antics from last week right now, but otherwise, go Bolts for the Cup! No one tell Machinehead. It makes me a traitor that I want to see my team get an extra first round pick and want to see two former Rangers, JTM and G, win a cup.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This is mostly correct, but he wasn't being used as a primary scorer, he just happened to be one of our better scorers. He was middle of the team in offensive deployment I'd say. I don't know what the stats would look like, but that's how I remember it from the past few seasons.

And really, you guys have as much offensive depth in the league as there is. We actually have a pretty good offense, which was even deeper before we went into sell mode. AV plays counter attack hockey to an extreme. I'm pretty sure we give up like the second or third most shots in the league, take among the least, but have the most high quality chances in the league. I think Miller was a byproduct of that and looks much better, offensively and defensively, in a more puck-possession oriented system on the offensive end and a more of a zone system on the defensive end.

Excellent to see JT having so much success though. I always liked his game. He was one of my favorite Rangers. Not thrilled with McDonagh's antics from last week right now, but otherwise, go Bolts for the Cup! No one tell Machinehead. It makes me a traitor that I want to see my team get an extra first round pick and want to see two former Rangers, JTM and G, win a cup.
@Machinehead

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
McDonagh made himself leaving into such a doom-gloom situation, and then his first game back he's attacking his former teammates. Don't like it, don't have respect for it.

And now he's bringing down Girardi's play. :help:

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
McDonagh made himself leaving into such a doom-gloom situation, and then his first game back he's attacking his former teammates. Don't like it, don't have respect for it.

And now he's bringing down Girardi's play. :help:
He's not bringing down Girardi ehat
(Though I'd rather play him with Sergachev)

And I saw him throw the body but he didn't really cross the line at all, no?

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's not bringing down Girardi ehat
(Though I'd rather play him with Sergachev)

And I saw him throw the body but he didn't really cross the line at all, no?

The puck was past the play, and then he goes for a hit. Interference either way, he kind of let up, but its not a play I respect. If you want everyone to feel bad for you, don't try to line up your former teammates off the puck in your first game back.

Girardi's play has dropped off since McDonagh joined the team. Good that Cooper switched up the pairs last match, Girardi played better.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The puck was past the play, and then he goes for a hit. Interference either way, he kind of let up, but its not a play I respect. If you want everyone to feel bad for you, don't try to line up your former teammates off the puck in your first game back.
Did he want everyone to feel bad for him? I seriously don't know

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did he want everyone to feel bad for him? I seriously don't know

Thats how I've taken his quotes from the Players Tribune and the media. Not seen Miller, Girardi, Stepan who all were big parts of the team, and left after many years, use the types of phrases he's been using. He clearly didn't want to leave. I'm not saying he doesn't like the Bolts, but he was forced out.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Thats how I've taken his quotes from the Players Tribune and the media. Not seen Miller, Girardi, Stepan who all were big parts of the team, and left after many years, use the types of phrases he's been using. He clearly didn't want to leave. I'm not saying he doesn't like the Bolts, but he was forced out.
He's still with a bunch of his Ranger bros tho lol, he'll be fine

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Don't tell me it was that play where their kid tries to finish his check on McD and he lines him up on a reversal......

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Don't tell me it was that play where their kid tries to finish his check on McD and he lines him up on a reversal......
Probably the hit that led to Buchnevich taking a run at Kucherov and eventually Stamkos fighting Buchnevich.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

No, it makes you a traitor that you were in our GDT bragging about the Girardi goal like your dad scored.

I don't care if you root for Tampa but it would be just peachy if you didn't do it on the Rangers board when we're f***ing playing Tampa!

Girardi's play has dropped off since McDonagh joined the team. Good that Cooper switched up the pairs last match, Girardi played better.

This garbage I won't even dignify with a response.
Complain about it on your own forum. Jesus Christ this is asinine.
This is his own forum now. Daddy plays for the Lightning.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
No, it makes you a traitor that you were in our GDT bragging about the Girardi goal like your dad scored.

I don't care if you root for Tampa but it would be just peachy if you didn't do it on the Rangers board when we're ****ing playing Tampa!

This garbage I won't even dignify with a response.

This is his own forum now. Daddy plays for the Lightning.
I've hated some guys that were on my team but you bring it to a whole new level with Girardi. It's like he drove over your dog with a car and got you a new one as consolation only to drive over that too.

Reactions: Master P

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Says the guy who outright abandoned Rangers fandom for the Sharks when the team was struggling with their corsi. :rolleyes:

If you read my post, it was making fun of the people who outright hate Girardi, and obviously got their feathers ruffled by him scoring. And you made my point with your reaction. Why would a tanking team care if the other team scores? I'll leave it at that, everyone can go read the freak out that happened.

Obviously

Dec 4, 2013
Wow, we already have 1 Ranger fan spamming this forum regularly. We do not need any more

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Wow, we already have 1 Ranger fan spamming this forum regularly. We do not need any more
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->