J. Bo - Cam Barker stat comparison, round 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Latin*

Earlier in this year I compared J. Bo's stats during his last year at Medicine Hat with Barker's current stats. Let's revisit the comparison:

Size (current):
Barker - 6'3", 210 pounds
Bouwmeester - 6'4", 210 pounds

Stats - GP G A Pts +/- PIM
Bouwmeester - 61 11 50 61 -3 42
Barker - 69 21 44 65 17 105

Now, I've only seen Bouwmeester play at the NHL level, and I've never seen Barker play, but judging from his stats he seemed to have had a very good year. He scored more goals than Bouwmeester (almost double) and has over double the PIM's.

My question is what makes Bouwmeester a prospect 1-2 tiers ahead of Barker? Why are some people higher on Coburn than Barker?

Does Barker have "Franchise Defenseman" potential similar to Jovo, Neidermayer, or Blake?

S L

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
From what I know, Barker is known as a real offensive guy. A real offensive guy who happens to be big. So that's gonna make him the Top guy in most drafts, but may not have gone over Phaneuf last year or Suter. Coburn is a guy that is renowoned for being a great defensive guy and good offensively like a Adam Foote, Rob Blake blend. Which I guess is kinda Chris Pronger...sorta thing anyway.

With Barker he'd be getting more hoopla if he was better defensively and used his size more. You look at Phaneuf, he's good and he's got a chip on his shoulder.

Barker could use that IMO, still being that IMO he's the best D-man easily in the draft, I would be surprised if he didn't go in the Top 5

Steve Latin*

Qubax said:
From what I know, Barker is known as a real offensive guy. A real offensive guy who happens to be big. So that's gonna make him the Top guy in most drafts, but may not have gone over Phaneuf last year or Suter. Coburn is a guy that is renowoned for being a great defensive guy and good offensively like a Adam Foote, Rob Blake blend. Which I guess is kinda Chris Pronger...sorta thing anyway.

With Barker he'd be getting more hoopla if he was better defensively and used his size more. You look at Phaneuf, he's good and he's got a chip on his shoulder.

Barker could use that IMO, still being that IMO he's the best D-man easily in the draft, I would be surprised if he didn't go in the Top 5

What are his defensive deficiencies? He had around 100 PIM's, which to be indicates he may have a bit of a mean streak.

S L

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Or those PIM's could just mean he's undisiciplined and a spoiled brat.

Interms of his D, I think that He's just not great defensviely yet, because if he was then puting up his numbers at his size he'd probably go number 2...

Now he may go number 2 now, but you still hear number 2 to number 8 or 9 or so.....and that's because he's not mature enough defensively....

but on a good team with a good coach he could turn into something special

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Steve Latin said:
Earlier in this year I compared J. Bo's stats during his last year at Medicine Hat with Barker's current stats. Let's revisit the comparison:

Size (current):
Barker - 6'3", 210 pounds
Bouwmeester - 6'4", 210 pounds

Stats - GP G A Pts +/- PIM
Bouwmeester - 61 11 50 61 -3 42
Barker - 69 21 44 65 17 105

Now, I've only seen Bouwmeester play at the NHL level, and I've never seen Barker play, but judging from his stats he seemed to have had a very good year. He scored more goals than Bouwmeester (almost double) and has over double the PIM's.

My question is what makes Bouwmeester a prospect 1-2 tiers ahead of Barker? Why are some people higher on Coburn than Barker?

Does Barker have "Franchise Defenseman" potential similar to Jovo, Neidermayer, or Blake?

S L

It should also be noted if you are comparing these two guys and stats from those years that, Bouwmeester put up 61 pts at 18 yrs of age, while Barker put up his 65 pts and 21 goals at 17 yrs of age. That is a whole years difference and definitely an impressive one for Barker. What is funny is, Bouwmeester actually scored more goals at 16 and 17 than he did at 18 yrs old.

To make things even more interesting, Cam Barker's numbers actually blow away what Dion Phaneuf put up last year on a very good Red Deer Rebel club and we all know how highly Phaneuf is thought of right now! Mr. Barker could really make a name for himself at next year's WJC in North Dakota, especially if Seabrooke, Phaneuf, Coburn and Belle all return.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
there is nothing wrong with Barkers defense IMO, I thought his defense was pretty good, great on offense, good in defense and has a physical and aggressive side. Bouwmeester was as hyped as he was because he was good in offense, defense, size and was probably the best skater outside the NHL.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Steve Latin said:
What are his defensive deficiencies? He had around 100 PIM's, which to be indicates he may have a bit of a mean streak.

S L

Someone said it "could just mean he is a spoiled brat" -- I don't know about that. But often times offensive dmen take bad penalties if they pinch and can't keep the puck in. This elevates poor defensemen's PIM easily. You would have to ask a scout whose watched him all year to know why he has collected the PIM. Usually unless it's obscenely high then you can't say for sure the player has a mean streak. 300+ PIM usually means he's a kid with a mean streak :P

Hitman*

HabLover said:
To make things even more interesting, Cam Barker's numbers actually blow away what Dion Phaneuf put up last year on a very good Red Deer Rebel club and we all know how highly Phaneuf is thought of right now!

Phaneuf is not an offensive d-man though. Barker is.

What many people also aren't taking into consideration is how much better this Medicine Hat team is compared to when J-Bo was there. Especially offensively.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
As for my opinion, I haven't seen Cam Barker play, but based on his size and offensive upside the moment I read about him I thought of Paul Mara, a former 7th overall pick I believe of Tampa Bay in 97... I think,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad