Confirmed with Link: Ivan Fedotov has arrived in Philadelphia (Goalie, 2015 draft pick); made his NHL debut (Apr. 1)

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Updated April 1:

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — The process needed to extract goalie Ivan Fedotov from both his Russian military and hockey commitments and finally land him in Philadelphia — nine years after he was drafted by the Flyers — remains largely shrouded in Cold War-era type secrecy.​
Flyers general manager Danny Briere stuck to silence on Fedotov’s path to Philly as the goalie was introduced Friday to the team.​
“We’ll just leave the details out,” Briere said.​
What the Flyers are willing to reveal is this: they believe the 27-year-old Fedotov was worth the arduous, complicated wait to get him and that he can make an impact down the stretch as they chase a playoff a berth.​
“That’s what gives us confidence he can come and help us,” Briere said at the Flyers’ New Jersey complex. “He’s been through a lot in his career. He’s been through a lot in his personal life. It’s a big part of the reason why we feel comfortable. We’re excited to have him aboard.”​
Fedotov was able to join the Flyers nine years after he was picked in the seventh round of the 2015 draft because he had his contract in Russia’s KHL terminated Thursday by CSKA Moscow.​
CSKA announced the abrupt termination with one year remaining on it, saying it keeps his KHL rights and “the club thanks Ivan Fedotov and wishes him good luck in (his) career.”​
Fedotov speaks limited English but noted several times he was thankful for the Flyers and the opportunity to play in the NHL.​
===================================================​

Last edited by a moderator:

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Whether or not Fedotov pans out, especially with our other younger goalies kicking at his heels, it is really exciting that this has been able to happen.

Credit to the Flyers for staying on this and figuring a way to make this work out. I can not wait to see this guy. It's been a long time coming.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
Whether or not Fedotov pans out, especially with our other younger goalies kicking at his heels, it is really exciting that this has been able to happen.

Credit to the Flyers for staying on this and figuring a way to make this work out. I can not wait to see this guy. It's been a long time coming.
The fact that our front office was able to get a player over here in a situation where most had given up hope (including me) after the player was detained and after an ugly situation where the IIHF levied penalties against the other team/league involved has me cautiously optimistic about our ability to get another certain player 🤫, who doesn’t have near as complicated a situation, over here when we need him.

Good job from Briere and co.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Obviously if he comes in lights out will be interesting since he wil be an UFA. My only thought here though is Flyers management have tried to get him over here and work with him so maybe some loyalty there.

Let's see how he plays first but with Errson being average at best and Felix about to go back to Sweden since he has struggled on all levels, Fedotov doesnt have much competition. Kolosov obviously but I see him spending a year in the AHL.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
This is one of the all-time great people need to learn they don't have to have an opinion on everything situations. Before it was "He's never coming over." Now it's "This team worked a miracle." Both absurd. No one knows shit. Just let it be and enjoy that he made it over.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, considering he's a UFA at the end of this year, even though they are in a playoff race, I think they have to play him to see what they get out of him. Get a better gauge if they want to give a new contract.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Honestly, considering he's a UFA at the end of this year, even though they are in a playoff race, I think they have to play him to see what they get out of him. Get a better gauge if they want to give a new contract.
Thats the part that sucks. His flyers career could potentially only last a month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad