ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I think some are forgetting "hyped on these boards"...

Anyways, wasn't Tomas Mojzis hyped a lot by Canucks fans after the Leafs traded him for Leeb? The trade didn't work out too great for either team I guess.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Anybody remember the days when Ari Ahonen was pushing Martin Broduer out of the crease? How about Maxime Oullette throwing Olaf Kolzig under the bus?

Brent Krahn was going to be the next great starter for the Flames. Patrick DesRochers was going to thrive in the desert, and Jean Marc Pelletier was the key piece to the Brind'Amour deal. Man. Goaltenders are hard to predict.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Not all my picks were complete busts, however they didn't meet the hype either.

Stephen Weiss (although a first round pick, and still young, he was hyped as the next Yzerman, leadership and all)
Fedor Fedorov (as talented as Sergei!)
Steve Kariya (as talented as Paul!)
Mikko Koivu (as talented as Saku!)
Paul Ballentyne (was hyped as a top defensemen for Detroit)
Brian Sutherby (after 2004 Youngstars game, he would become a top player for Washington)
Phillipe Sauve (hyped that he would replace Roy as Avs goalie)
Scott Clemmenson, J-F Damphousse, Ari Ahonen(they were given the same mantle, to replace Martin Brodeur)
Sasha Goc
Scott Barney
Robert Dome
Jesse Wallin
Jonathan Aiken

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
How has no one mentioned Sergei Zinovjev? Justin Papineau? Ramzi Abid?

And even more recently: Travis Brigley.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Just notes on a couple players mentioned already...

Christian Dube's problem wasn't that he wasn't good enough. He certainly was/is good enough. The problem with him is the NHL was never his goal. He grew up in Switzerland - I think he was there for eight years - and his ambition always was to return to Switzerland. He loved it there, and players in Switzerland make a great living for half the schedule and a fraction of the travel. The moment he got the chance to go to Switzerland, he bolted. I don't know if his love of Switzerland factored into his draft position, because I think he had the talent to be a second line playmaking centre in the NHL.

Evan McGrath had a ton of hype after winning the Memorial Cup with Kitchener in 2003. It wasn't just a matter of the hype occurring after he put up big points in 2005. He was a consensus top 10 pick entering the 2003-04 season. Then he had about as bad of a draft year as one could possibly have.

The player who came to mind for me right away the moment I saw the title of this thread (since he was a player who was heavily hyped on these boards since I've been a member) was Anton Babchuk. I know he was a first rounder, but when it came time for HF's semi-annual prospect rankings, he would finish in the 20-40 range. I was never impressed with him. He had the booming shot, but I was left wanting more in the other elements of his game. I know it's early in his career, and he still has time before he's classified by some as a disappointment, but I think my hunch on him will prove correct: a big, hard-shooting, third pairing defenceman.

On Dube, he was very talented and looked like he belonged on the Rangers in 97, but that was the year that NY got burned by the Lindros lead Legion of Doom and the big bad Flyers, so the small Dube who in the regular season was constantly knocked off the puck by larger players was told to get bigger and add weight by the size obsessed Neil Smith. Dube came back in the next training camp 20 (25?) pounds heavier, and couldn't skate at an NHL level. Soon after toiling in the minors he bolted for Switzerland. He was mishandled, the Rangers expected him to be something that he wasn't and didn't wait for his game (based on speed and skill) to develop after one year.

A similar thing happened after the 95 loss to the Flyers, Neil Smith traded Sergei Zubov, and Petr Nedved to the Pens for size in Robattaille and Ulf Samuelsson after Lindros and Philly physically dominated those two. Some people may not remember, but Eric was a behemoth in those days who literally scared little kids.

On the Detroit prospects, after striking gold with Datsyuk, and Zetterberg, along with the Shanahan quote/joke about the Wings' European scout being the best in the business, Griggs, Kronwall, Hudler all got some extra unwarranted hype. At the 02 draft, people said Hudler was a top 10 talent but too small, but once Detroit picked him, he was called an automatic 40 goal scorer.

Btw, from what I remember from the earlier days of these boards, Doc Chimeara had an unhealthy attraction for Russian players, some of the posters here kept asking him if he was Mike Smith.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
Not all my picks were complete busts, however they didn't meet the hype either.

Stephen Weiss (although a first round pick, and still young, he was hyped as the next Yzerman, leadership and all)
Fedor Fedorov (as talented as Sergei!)
Steve Kariya (as talented as Paul!)
Mikko Koivu (as talented as Saku!)
Paul Ballentyne (was hyped as a top defensemen for Detroit)
Brian Sutherby (after 2004 Youngstars game, he would become a top player for Washington)
Phillipe Sauve (hyped that he would replace Roy as Avs goalie)
Scott Clemmenson, J-F Damphousse, Ari Ahonen(they were given the same mantle, to replace Martin Brodeur)
Sasha Goc
Scott Barney
Robert Dome
Jesse Wallin
Jonathan Aiken
Only Ahonen really fits that description. Clemmensen was NEVER EVER EVER IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING hyped.

Speaking of goalies...Maxime Ouellette?

Bam Beet*

Martin "puck poise" Skoula was supposed to be a perennial all-star.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Only Ahonen really fits that description. Clemmensen was NEVER EVER EVER IN THE HISTORY OF ANYTHING hyped.

Speaking of goalies...Maxime Ouellette?

I'd say that Damphousse fits that description just as much as Ahonen does. I remember hearing about J-F D so freaking much and wondering what all the hype was about.

Guess we never really found out!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good call on those three - Evseev was considered a lock to be an impact player around here. I'd actually forgotten about the Doc, so this brings back fond memories. Old timers have to stick together :P

Thing with Evseev, IMO, was that I think everyone saw his stock falling and falling and his overall hype kind of faded before he ever even was drafted. Yes, people thought the Bruins had a steal but not at the level of some players around here.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Maxime Quellet. Not that Philly made out great in the Oates deal, but everyone thought they got hosed because they gave up on him. He hasn't become anything.

Another Ottawa guy was Petr Schastlivy. He had an amazing shot, but was useless otherwise and got hurt every other game.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Jeff Drouin Deslauriers, not so much hyped by Hfboards, but more by the HF staff.

Brandon Bochenski is also a name that pops up in my head.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
For all the hype Dustin Rose got around here, I'm surprised he never saw NHL ice... I mean, I've never seen a guy who has ever had that kind of skill and not done anything with it. I pretty conservative about prospects, but even I was on that band wagon... These prospects nowadays have nothing on that kid...

Maxime Ouellette, Dome, Schastlivy, Stefan, Balmochnyk (who I was a believer in) and every dman prospect that was taller than 6'3" and could skate without tripping overhimself were all tagged as "Franchise Players"... More players than I can hope to name have been annointed stars before hitting seeing time in the NHL...

Barnabyboy

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Still early, but how about Viktor Alexandrov. Fellow pens fans were half rioting when the pens passed on him and took D Alex Goligoski instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad