ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
This time last year people were pimping the bejeezes out of Beauchemin. He's the most recent example I can think of, though I do think he's still a decent player.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Maybe doesn't count because most of his hype came while he was a pro, but Brad Isbister? He was the next Bertuzzi for a long time and certainly hasn't done that.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Yanick Lehoux was another along with Jared Aulin that were hyped endlessly on these boards and never panned out.

How did I forget Jared Aulin? Who knew getting put on an experienced WJC line could vault a players stock so much in such a short period of time. How he was part of the trades he was in is just remarkable.

Transported Upstater

To a lesser extent, I remember a lot of people thinking Steen was the next best thing.

Steen's starting to pick up his game. He's played really well recently with the slightly increased minutes he's receiving. He's had a classic sophomore slump this year, I believe, and I think he'll be better next year.

Although that Higgins v.s. Steen thread does kind of lose its luster now, I have to admit. :innocent:

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
The Viking Fury said:
Whoever said Matt Pettinger...

He was hyped? I haven't been around long but I don't see how. He's doing alright for the caps, had a great year last season and is putting it all together now.
I don't know how much, or even if he was hyped up on this site, but the story was Pettinger made the canadian junior team after going undrafted for two years, and had a very good tournament scoring some big goals. he then left the NCAA to play in the WHL, and played very well there.

Even though he was 20 years old, a certain scouting service put him in the top 10 for much of the remainder of the season, and many called him a bigtime steal when the caps got him in the second round.. or third round, whatever it was.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Antropov was never hyped up as the offensive dynamo! He still is what he is, a solid two-way player, only IF he stays away from injuries though. When he plays, he's one of the best defensive forwards for the Leafs. Judging from the terrible draft in which Antropov went, he turned out better than many first rounders I think, only WHEN he actually steps on the ice though.

Anyway, just to name a few...

Patrick Stefan
Alexander Daigle
Marcel Hossa
Andre Kostitsyn
Chad Kilger

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
As to the original post, I don't recall too much being expected out of Foy and Locke. I heard a lot about them while they played for the 67's, but, the consensus that I was always hearing was that there was little chance of them panning out at the NHL level. Both were deemed to likely be too slow for the NHL level. There skills translated well at the junior level, where everything was a step slower, but, neither would be able to step up without a major improvement in their game.

As for my suggestion, Brandon Bochenski gets the nod for me. It's amazing how he can dominate at the AHL level, but, still can't stick at the NHL level. He's gotten the two extreme situations that every young player hopes for. He got an extended stint playing on a top line with elite players on a very deep team, and couldn't execute. It was felt that maybe he was under too much pressure to score, and that maybe he needs to be in a safer, less high profile environment, where there is less depth, and therefore, less pressure to produce, but can still be allowed to focus on an offensive game. He went to the offesnively starved Blackhawks. He struggled there, and has spent a chunk of time in the minors there as well.

Burgh32

Aug 15, 2005
S.J
Who was that guy who played for the Flyers for a while? Before he came over, he was hyped as the best player not in the NHL or something like that. Can't think of his name.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
As for my suggestion, Brandon Bochenski gets the nod for me.

I distinctly remember someone was hyping him as a potential darkhorse Calder trophy candidate last year - even with Ovechkin, Crosby, Phaneuf, etc. in the mix.

When he got sent back to the AHL after a couple months I bumped the thread and said "well at least he still has a chance at the Calder Cup" but then the thread got locked pronto. :(

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Just notes on a couple players mentioned already...

Christian Dube's problem wasn't that he wasn't good enough. He certainly was/is good enough. The problem with him is the NHL was never his goal. He grew up in Switzerland - I think he was there for eight years - and his ambition always was to return to Switzerland. He loved it there, and players in Switzerland make a great living for half the schedule and a fraction of the travel. The moment he got the chance to go to Switzerland, he bolted. I don't know if his love of Switzerland factored into his draft position, because I think he had the talent to be a second line playmaking centre in the NHL.

Evan McGrath had a ton of hype after winning the Memorial Cup with Kitchener in 2003. It wasn't just a matter of the hype occurring after he put up big points in 2005. He was a consensus top 10 pick entering the 2003-04 season. Then he had about as bad of a draft year as one could possibly have.

The player who came to mind for me right away the moment I saw the title of this thread (since he was a player who was heavily hyped on these boards since I've been a member) was Anton Babchuk. I know he was a first rounder, but when it came time for HF's semi-annual prospect rankings, he would finish in the 20-40 range. I was never impressed with him. He had the booming shot, but I was left wanting more in the other elements of his game. I know it's early in his career, and he still has time before he's classified by some as a disappointment, but I think my hunch on him will prove correct: a big, hard-shooting, third pairing defenceman.

turnbuckle*

Antropov was never hyped up as the offensive dynamo! He still is what he is, a solid two-way player, only IF he stays away from injuries though. When he plays, he's one of the best defensive forwards for the Leafs. Judging from the terrible draft in which Antropov went, he turned out better than many first rounders I think, only WHEN he actually steps on the ice though.

Anyway, just to name a few...

Patrick Stefan
Alexander Daigle
Marcel Hossa
Andre Kostitsyn
Chad Kilger

Memory not real good I take it.

Take off he homer glasses. You're damn right antropov was overhyped; a helluva lot more than Marcel Hossa was ever hyped. Toronto Sports Network hyped Antropov to no end.

The Hossa pick was pretty much panned from the beginning - the Habs were accused of taking him too early only because of his name, and the experts were onto something.

As for listing a 21-year-old in there who is far from proven one way or another...I guess it's just a coincidence that he's a Hab too?

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I can't believe nobody's mentioned Vladimir Evseev.

I think it was Dr. Chimaera who insisted he'd be a top five pick.

With a Russian theme.....

Svitov
Yakubov
Vorobiev (mike Smith, we miss ya)

Good call on those three - Evseev was considered a lock to be an impact player around here. I'd actually forgotten about the Doc, so this brings back fond memories. Old timers have to stick together :P

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Good calls on Dopita and Sejna.

Before my time on the boards I remember a lot of hype around Kris Kontos, Gilbert Dionne, and Paul DiPietro. In Winnipeg we though Davydov would be awesome...but wow he sure knew how to work hard and get negative results on the ice.

From the boards there used to be a lot of hype around Weinhandl too.

turnbuckle*

Good calls on Dopita and Sejna.

Before my time on the boards I remember a lot of hype around Kris Kontos, Gilbert Dionne, and Paul DiPietro. In Winnipeg we though Davydov would be awesome...but wow he sure knew how to work hard and get negative results on the ice.

From the boards there used to be a lot of hype around Weinhandl too.

Davydov brings back memories...one of the many Jets castoffs that mysteriously ended up in Ottawa while Fergie was around.

There was also Pat Elyniuk and Dmitri Filimonov, was hyped the summer before everyone got to see how lousy he was.

a few more overhyped guys in the Sens' early years:

Radek Hamr
Radim Bicanec
Claude Savoie
Stan Neckar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad