ITT: Name players who were HUGELY hyped on these boards who have done nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Another former Penguin prospect for this list:

Michal Sivek.

Remember when he came over in the Jagr trade? He was supposed to be one of the most dynamic, offensive guys around not in the NHL. Heard a lot of great rumblings about how he could be a poor man's Jagr (had good size, skating, pretty strong on the puck) if he could put it all together.

Still don't know what happened to him. He was much more impressive than his numbers suggested in his short NHL stint, then went back home for personal reasons.

Remember Ross Lupaschuck? And Kris Beech aka the next Ron Francis? That whole trio in the Jagr deal was pretty well hyped and all have failed to deliver in any capacity.

Also, I remember a few debates that had Montreal and Pittsburgh with the clear-cut best defensive prospect depth, Montreal with Komisarek and Hainsey and Pittsburgh with Orpik and Lupaschuck. None of those guys have turned out to be as good as expectations were back then.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not really a candidate for this as he was a super high draft pick. Neither are guys like Stefan.

But **** Brendl and Lundmark!

I know this doesn't really go with this thread but Dan Blackburn (Even thought he got hurt). Brendl, Lundmark, Blackburn Jessiman:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 4 HIGH first round picks that busted big time. (Even though Blackburn got hurt and could not play anymore)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I know this doesn't really go with this thread but Dan Blackburn (Even thought he got hurt). Brendl, Lundmark, Blackburn Jessiman:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: 4 HIGH first round picks that busted big time. (Even though Blackburn got hurt and could not play anymore)

Add in:

1995: Christian Dube
1996: Jeff Brown
1997: Stefan Cherneski (same as Blackburn -- great start to a career but had to retire due to injury)
1998: Manny Malhotra (mishandled by management, but still not a great choice at his spot)

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
How 'bout Jason Botterhill? Where was he taken?

I watched alot of World Juniors and hear alot about some guys, then two years later, its all "What ever happened to that guy?"

KL*

There was never anyone in HSBoards history who was as overhyped without producing anything at the NHL level as Jani Rita.

Beyond Rita, Kronwall, Grigorenko and Stan Chistov aren't too far behind.

Then again, anyone drafted by the Leafs, Sens, Habs, Oilers, Flames, Wings, Rangers or Canucks is vigorously fellated on these boards until they either retire from hockey or get traded to a team not mentioned above.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Daniel Tkaczuk
Marcel Hossa
Krys Kolanos
Jeff Taffe
Alexandre Volchkov
Josh Holden
Boyd Devereaux
Dan Cleary

Again, most of those guys don't really count since they were straight up super hyped 1st rounders. This thread is more about the guys who "come out of nowhere" and light up whatever league they are in that make people go ga ga over them. Those guys all had hype way before they were drafted, pretty much.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Alexei Mikhnov is the worst I've seen in several years. Go back to the threads on him from this summer. 5 goals in the AHL half-way through the season. Kaigorodov isn't far behind. And neither disappointment is really that shocking given their average production in a slightly better than AHL-calibre league.

And there are a few guys like the aforementioned Evan McGrath every year - guys who were mid-round picks for good reason but see a spike in production following their draft year, causing people to think they're stud prospects. Ryan Stone is another guy who got a lot of hype here when he was scoring 100 points for Brandon.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Again, most of those guys don't really count since they were straight up super hyped 1st rounders. This thread is more about the guys who "come out of nowhere" and light up whatever league they are in that make people go ga ga over them. Those guys all had hype way before they were drafted, pretty much.

alright, sorry for the NYR picks they were on top of my head ;)

Jason King
Filip Novak
Brandon Reid
Tomas Kloucek

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
this is going wayy back but Yannick Lehoux was largely hyped when I used to just troll the boards instead of posting...guy was hyped as a future allstar

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
basically any 20 year old, or overager that lights up the CHL has been, and always will be highly overhyped. Everyone seems to have it in their minds that they were bigtime steals in the draft even though these players bring nothing to the game but their decent hands, or playmaking ability.

Stephane Veilleux, the one and only Simon Gamache, Locke and Foy as mentioned, Sergei Varlamov, and going back a bit further, Frank Banham and Mark Deyell.

then of course, the undrafted scrub who makes the canadian junior team, who people assume must be a star. I'm looking at you, Brad Leeb, Matt Pettinger, and Danny Syvret.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad