GDT: It's Way too Early to talk Pla...HEY SEVEN OUT OF EIGHT! YEAH!

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wonder if the difference in how they play the puck that matters is less mechanical skill and more decision process in regards to our scheme? Does Darling hesitate in who to play it to more than Ward, and if so, does that hesitation lead to a lower success rate in clearing the zone...thus more scoring chances for the other team? Honestly, I don't see a difference between the two of them in this regard. What I think is the bigger difference between the two is positioning (Ward is less likely to be out of position due to a previous move of his own, IMO) and rebound control (Ward is more likely to keep the puck or put it where it is less harmful, IMO). I think it is rebound control that is the biggest problem right now. It reminds me of when Justin Peters was forced to play for Ward for an extended period of time. He was terrible with his rebounds, but the team adjusted to his style and played a more conservative game in front of him to "clean up" after him. I don't see Peters making that change to help Darling.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
What I think is the bigger difference between the two is positioning (Ward is less likely to be out of position due to a previous move of his own, IMO) and rebound control (Ward is more likely to keep the puck or put it where it is less harmful, IMO).
I've stated it elsewhere, but I think a huge problem for him is the former: his lateral movement, that it too often causes him to become out of control. I can't help but hear again that interview with that goaltending guy (Kevin Woodley, right?), who talked about the Canes needing a "good skating goaltender" and how Lack wasn't. I'm not certain of what "good skating" means, but am inclined to believe one aspect is post-to-post movement, and Darling is not good at that.

It makes me fear that no one in the organization ever heard that analysis on pairing the coach's system to the goaltender, and that we bought into another mistake with an even bigger price tag. I've been guardedly optimistic to begin the season, but those doubts have surfaced, unfortunately.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Ward is a level above Darling outside of the net...better skating, better stick handling, and more decisive.

Goalie puck-handling can help the D's comfort level effectively giving the team a 3rd defenseman and it can help team offense with outlet passes facilitating clean zone exits.

BP has on multiple occasions explicitly cited Ward's play with the puck as an important factor in wins.

Darling, IMO, consistently looks uncomfortable playing the puck.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Darling works in a system that allows the first shot and focuses on cleaning the rebound (Boston with Chara/Thomas the best example).

That's not the 'Canes. The 'Canes focus on preventing shots altogether and getting a quick break out with the wingers. Ward (when he's on) works because he is good at tracking the play and has excellent rebound control.

At least part of the problem is that Darling doesn't fit the system, which is disconcerting because you'd think Francis and scouts should have caught that. It could be that Darling was simply the best goalie available once Fleury was unattainable for whatever reason, but still.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Darling works in a system that allows the first shot and focuses on cleaning the rebound (Boston with Chara/Thomas the best example).

That's not the 'Canes. The 'Canes focus on preventing shots altogether and getting a quick break out with the wingers. Ward (when he's on) works because he is good at tracking the play and has excellent rebound control.

At least part of the problem is that Darling doesn't fit the system, which is disconcerting because you'd think Francis and scouts should have caught that. It could be that Darling was simply the best goalie available once Fleury was unattainable for whatever reason, but still.
Darling made a pretty interesting comment in the post-game interview after his win against CBJ. He mentioned something along the lines about how it was good to get into a flow with so many shots against which they usually don't allow, reinforcing the notion that many goaltenders prefer a heavier workload. Maybe he and Tripp had some Lucky Charms that morning at breakfast.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
In case you were wondering if Mike Smith reads HF, quote from today’s Peters post-practice media session:

On how Cam Ward's ability to play the puck helps the Canes: "You play faster in D-zone transition. ... If pucks end up in the trapezoid and your goaltender can play them and execute in that situation, all of a sudden you can leave, go play through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. If you don't execute in that situation, you're typically in D-zone coverage, and that's where trouble starts. We'd rather be efficient in goalie-D exchange, and typically we are."

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Ward is a level above Darling outside of the net...better skating, better stick handling, and more decisive.

Goalie puck-handling can help the D's comfort level effectively giving the team a 3rd defenseman and it can help team offense with outlet passes facilitating clean zone exits.

BP has on multiple occasions explicitly cited Ward's play with the puck as an important factor in wins.

Darling, IMO, consistently looks uncomfortable playing the puck.

Yet Ward wasn't always this guy. For years, he was quite the opposite, treating the puck in Ron Hainsey hand-grenade fashion...he just wanted to get it off of his stick as quickly as he could. In truth, Ward's puck handling skills have greatly improved, more so in the last 3 or 4 years. It is not out of the question that Darling, who is already an adequate puck handler, might not be able to improve as well. Despite the perceived lateral movement issue, my sense is that Darling isn't a terrible skater overall. Again, the optimist in me thinks this might be something that can be improved with work.

Elsker

Jul 3, 2008
Downtown Raleigh
I agree that Ward is MUCH better at puck-handling than he used to be. He and others have mentioned him working on that skill in the past.

Also agree that Darling is already better at puck-handling than Ward used to be, alien as it may be to him coming off the Chicago "we have people that will do that for you" system.

So assuming SOMEONE is working with Darling on this, then he, too, can get better at it.

However, one more example of how rigid Peters system seems to be. That square peg WILL go in that round hole. Just keep hitting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->