It's time for Staal and Spezza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
I swear that half the people that say they are Sens fans but Spezza should not be on the team have never been on the Sens board. Not that all Sens fans think he should be on the team, the guy is very controversial because he appeared to play with no effort even when he led the leugue in scoring. Even if Staal is physically dominating, the same could be said of nearly half this team. Yet they are accomplishing very little because they can't translate that dominance to the front of the net. They get caught near the endboards which are a half-a-mile from the net. Spezza can break down a defance with great passing. He has costed the Sens very few goals on his low percentage passesand I imagine that Canada's defance is not that much worse than the Sens' :sarcasm: . More to the point he has created a ton of offensive chances. He might only connect on 1 out of 6 of his low % plays, but when he does it means a tip in for Heatley. And 1 out of 6 is a pretty good shot %... and he probably connects on more than 1 out of 6 plays.

Anyway

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I think Caanda would be doing better if Crosby, Mike Fisher, Staal, Brind'Amour were on the team as forwards and if Phaneuf was on Defence. Brind'Amour is a no-brainer here, he is Canadian right? He was born in Ottawa. I wonder why no one talked about him, he is having an amazing season. Crosby should totally have been on the team. He brings effort every game and he is as much of a potential gamebreaker as anyone.

That said I think we turn it around and still win the gold.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
cup2006sensrule said:
I think Caanda would be doing better if Crosby, Mike Fisher, Staal, Brind'Amour were on the team as forwards and if Phaneuf was on Defence. Brind'Amour is a no-brainer here, he is Canadian right? He was born in Ottawa. I wonder why no one talked about him, he is having an amazing season. Crosby should totally have been on the team. He brings effort every game and he is as much of a potential gamebreaker as anyone.

That said I think we turn it around and still win the gold.
Brind'Amour and Fisher weren't on our long list at the start of the year. Fisher I would have had on the list, I love his speed and his defensive presence. He and McCauley would have been strong candidates for the checking line. But Draper's been far from the problem. Brind'Amour has always played well for Canada when called upon, but this is the guy who had 37 and 38 points the two years before the lockout. Based on his play from Oct. 2002 to April 2004, he had no business being on the long list.

Crosby and Staal will be fine members of Team Canada for years to come. But do they change the lack of a team concept that exists right now? No. Do they change this team's failure to adjust to the Olympic way of play? No. Until these things change, Canada will lose, and unless you do a complete makeover of the team, the results from the first four games would be the same. Substituting Staal and Spezza or Staal and Crosby (if he was in Italy) would bring the exact same results and the exact same score. They wouldn't change the lack of team play or first period urgency. It seems there are too many people around here who fail to grasp that basic concept.

This type of start has become habitual for Canada at international events, so I'm confident they'll get it together and play to their potential. They have to. If they don't turn around their team play, they will be finished on Thursday.

If you want to see the difference from playing like a team, watch the first three games of the 2002 Olympics. Then watch the gold medal game vs. the U.S. The gold medal game was an absolute clinic. Canada did virtually everything right, and you could count the number of mistakes on one hand. Mike Richter's play was the only reason Canada didn't obliterate the U.S.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
champben2002 said:
I swear that half the people that say they are Sens fans but Spezza should not be on the team have never been on the Sens board.
So?

champben2002 said:
...the guy is very controversial because he appeared to play with no effort even when he led the leugue in scoring.
Spezza was skating a lot harder at the start of the year, which is why he's frustrating to watch now. He'll lose the puck in the corner along the boards, stop dead in his tracks, and watch for about half a second before he realizes he should be skating the other way.

champben2002 said:
...Spezza can break down a defance with great passing. He has costed the Sens very few goals on his low percentage passesand I imagine that Canada's defance is not that much worse than the Sens' :sarcasm: . More to the point he has created a ton of offensive chances. He might only connect on 1 out of 6 of his low % plays, but when he does it means a tip in for Heatley. And 1 out of 6 is a pretty good shot %... and he probably connects on more than 1 out of 6 plays.
No, when he connects it doesn not mean automatic goal. His turnovers may not translate into goals against, but what it does translate into is puck possesion for the other team, which is no good when you're on the powerplay or trying to get back into the game down a goal or two. Because he doesn't shoot enough he's become predictable.

Spezza has unbelievable vision. He has a great shot he doesn't use nearly enough. If he could only work as hard as he giggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->