Nov 2, 2010
Let's say we had a few injuries:
ie Lupul Kulemin

JVR Bozak Kessel
--- Kadri Clarkson
McClement Bolland ----

Fill in the blanks
This is where we miss Mac and Frattin)

Colborne or Ashton play on the second line.... D'Amigo on the 3rd line.

but you're right... we don't have a lot of depth in our forwards if someone goes down.

You are right, we don't have much depth in terms of NHL proven talent. I'd like to think that we have been developing enough of these tweener types that injuries would create a hole for one of these guys we've developed.

This is where we are going to see the value, or lack there of, in the picks/trades made under the Burke regime's attempt to "restock" the cupboard.

Colborne, Ashton, Biggs, Ryan, Ross, Leivo, McKegg etc. will get their opportunities through injuries.

It's good, but.....
I'm curious (concerned) about what this looks like after a few injuries
The proven scoring depth after 7-8 players is weak

I agree that the depth is an issue for now. But we can still be active on the waiver wire as the season begins. Maybe we snag an AHL hero like the Islanders did to us by picking up Keith Aucoin last season.

And, if/when we hit some injuries we do get some extra cap space to fill in. If Kulemin goes down, we get his 2.8M to use until he returns. That means we can move for some borderline NHL talent if our prospects aren't ready. Guys like Eaves, Skille or Olesz can be had for a song, then put in the minors after our guys return. That would only cost like maybe 100K on the cap.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
I agree that the depth is an issue for now. But we can still be active on the waiver wire as the season begins. Maybe we snag an AHL hero like the Islanders did to us by picking up Keith Aucoin last season.

And, if/when we hit some injuries we do get some extra cap space to fill in. If Kulemin goes down, we get his 2.8M to use until he returns. That means we can move for some borderline NHL talent if our prospects aren't ready. Guys like Eaves, Skille or Olesz can be had for a song, then put in the minors after our guys return. That would only cost like maybe 100K on the cap.

I may be wrong, but i thought the cap hit only gets taken off if the player is placed on IR. If kulie goes down with a minor injury, we get no cap relief.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I may be wrong, but i thought the cap hit only gets taken off if the player is placed on IR. If kulie goes down with a minor injury, we get no cap relief.

That is correct, yes. But if someone is out for just a game or two with a cold, then it's not like we need to bring in outside help to compensate. No need for cap relief when it's only a minor injury, that will be dealt with by bringing up prospects and maybe double shifting some guys.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
VanR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Colborne - Bolland - Kulemin
Ashton* - McClement - Orr
(D'Amigo* - McLaren)

Rielly* - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Franson
Gunnar* - Ranger
(Fraser)

Reimer
(Bernier)

* = interchangeable based on game situation​
I could see D'Amigo or Carter (if ready) displacing McLaren. Initially, however, I expect Randy to be a dinosaur and field a line that doesn't resemble cup contenders.

We should really be aiming for four skilled lines than two. I also feel that Bolland needs to be given some time with more skilled forwards like in Chicago (i.e. Kane, Havlet, etc). Seeing that we saw Colborne play with Lupul extensively in the playoffs, maybe we'll see Bolland on that line.

Lupul - Bolland - Colborne

We saw Lupul extensively used against Boston's offensive lines and it was one of the reason why we controlled games 5, 6, and most of 7. I am still leaning more towards allowing Clarkson play off-wing and give Kadri, JVR/ Lupul and Kulemin.

The fact is, Kadri is a lot closer to Giroux in playing style than Kessel. The moment our competition begins to abuse Kessel, his play tends to fall and that's why we had to off-shift him very regularly against Boston. JVR isn't mean enough to ensure Kessel, but Clarkson can do the job. Besides, JVR is very skilled and should be allowed to exploit his creativity.

A line of:

JVR - Kadri - Kulemin

It'd be very creative. Kulemin is a tank and could be tasked to park in front of the net. JVR will still play a power game and be creative, while Kadri will be crashing the net as usual. That line could easily be one of the most effective lines in the NHL. The top scoring line could be a Clarkson - Bozak - Kessel solution and yes, Dave can play off-wing.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
who plays on the right side on defense? why nonis so in love with L shooting dmen, shouldn't we have a mixture of both

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad