Its Scab time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
IslesRule said:
That logic may have been OK in the 1960's but we are a long way from that. Business owners look at the bottom line more than ever, that creates value for them. Very few if any professional sports owners will tollerate that today, and I can't say I blame them. They didn't get to be millionaires/billionaires by pissing away millions of dollars a year.

"Pissing away" is a relative idea when you're in that economic stratosphere.

jb**

AM said:
How many "replacement players" are going to get their chance to break into the league next year?

EG get there chance, and show they should be there instead of the dead wood that dosnt want to play?
I don't think it will be so easy for some teams in markets that have a strong union presence(phila, Detroit). They will make life miserable for people who cross the line. L also don't think the they will draw well at all.

Wetcoaster

Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't think the replacment players NHL will be all that bad. I think enough UFA and RFA's will cross the line to put out a respectable team. There will also be some talented players like Steve Kariya and Jiri Bicek who never got a shot to play in the NHL with offensive weapons getting big time minutes. Both are capable of putting up big numbers, Kariya leads the SMLiga and Bicek is near the top in the Slovak elite league.
Immigration laws in Cnada and the US prevent Europeans from playing as replacement players.

US citizens and legal alien residents (green card holders) only could play for US based teams and Canadian citizens and legal permanent residents only could play for Canadian based teams.

It looks to be a major problem for the US teams.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
Once again, if it isn't such a big deal, then why are 700 NHL playeres willing to give up a years worth of salary (on an average 7 year career span) for an averaged out 56,000???

Well they aren't giving up a year's salary at this point. They are giving up a 3rd of their base salary, which is cut by 25%. At this point in time, the owners have more incentive to sign a deal because their enterprise is hurt by cancelling a season. Now next September it will change if there is no deal, the players will be more inclined to get the season started on time because they will have a full salary waiting. But right now, this past week, it was on the owners to start the season.

Phanuthier*

nyr7andcounting said:
Well they aren't giving up a year's salary at this point. They are giving up a 3rd of their base salary, which is cut by 25%. At this point in time, the owners have more incentive to sign a deal because their enterprise is hurt by cancelling a season. Now next September it will change if there is no deal, the players will be more inclined to get the season started on time because they will have a full salary waiting. But right now, this past week, it was on the owners to start the season.
Huh? The season is officially CANCELLED! Gone. Nitta naddo nodda. Done, pissed away, whatever you want to call it.

The onus is on the players as the owners will likely get an impasse to sign replacement players (since they gave in on their stance on linkage) and players start to realize "oh ****, we've been paid $1 million to play a game, and for some dick stupid reason, we can't figure out how to splite $42.5 million both ways! Now rather then getting lobster dinners and 1st class plane rides, we're riding grayhounds and eating sandwiches on 14 hour bus rides."

Meanashell11

Jan 3, 2003
Greenwich CT
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
For you fellas in small market cities, get used to minor leaguers in your arena.

Because if this season is indeed cancelled, you're not going to be in the NHL much longer.

Heh, NGO. Bite me. If you are a writer for HF then you should be a hockey fan. The economics dont work. End of story. And if you think the players have the economic means to drop 250mm a year running, after their investment, then think again. :madfire:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Splatman Phanutier said:
Huh? The season is officially CANCELLED! Gone. Nitta naddo nodda. Done, pissed away, whatever you want to call it.

The onus is on the players as the owners will likely get an impasse to sign replacement players (since they gave in on their stance on linkage) and players start to realize "oh ****, we've been paid $1 million to play a game, and for some dick stupid reason, we can't figure out how to splite $42.5 million both ways! Now rather then getting lobster dinners and 1st class plane rides, we're riding grayhounds and eating sandwiches on 14 hour bus rides."

Okay, and how was that a response to my post? The guy said that the players should have signed a deal because he didn't think that 700 players wanted to give up a year's salary over $2.5 million. I simply pointed out that even if the players signed a deal this past week they would not have gotten a full year's salary...where as the owners would have made money, something most of them haven't done in a while. Therefore the owners had more incentive to save this season.

KariyaIsGod*

Scabs taking NHL jobs would serve as beautifully poetic justice.

Call the NHLers in Europe what you want to call them but they are scabs of the worst kind here.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
THe majority of scabs that are are going to play will be will be ex AHL and NHL players now making a living in europe. They will be replacement players hands down because NHLers came to Europe to take their jobs. Other then that there will be a small handfull of Frindge NHL players and older AHLers. I don't think you will see any young talented players cross for fear of future relationships with the players on strike. I know if I were locked out from my job and then forced to go on strike I would not respect anyone who came in and worked my job. I will lose all respect for any players in the PA who cross. I would however have no problem with the players over in Europe losing there jobs coming over to play.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
DrMoses said:
Scabs taking NHL jobs would serve as beautifully poetic justice.

Call the NHLers in Europe what you want to call them but they are scabs of the worst kind here.

No they can't be scabs, the SEL and other leagues don't have any labor disputes. The NHL players are being begged by European owneres to come play. Most of them are playing over in europe to stay in shape for the NHL.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
No they can't be scabs, the SEL and other leagues don't have any labor disputes. The NHL players are being begged by European owneres to come play. Most of them are playing over in europe to stay in shape for the NHL.
Begged? Oh yeah, I bet the SEL and other leagues were just DYING to have Sean Donovan and Steve Montador play for them.

The NHL players are taking away jobs from those league. Plain and simple. Call them scabs, call them what you want, but if these players start to take the NHLers jobs, clowns like Chris Pronger should not start to **** his pants about it.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Splatman Phanutier said:
Begged? Oh yeah, I bet the SEL and other leagues were just DYING to have Sean Donovan and Steve Montador play for them.

The NHL players are taking away jobs from those league. Plain and simple. Call them scabs, call them what you want, but if these players start to take the NHLers jobs, clowns like Chris Pronger should not start to **** his pants about it.

No it will be the actual PA members that will have to face the wrath if they cross. Just another note. Most of the NHL players playing in Europe are European to begin with and are using the work stopage as a chance to go back and play in there hometown.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
I know if I were locked out from my job and then forced to go on strike I would not respect anyone who came in and worked my job. I will lose all respect for any players in the PA who cross. I would however have no problem with the players over in Europe losing there jobs coming over to play.
If you were paid $1 million a year in a comfertable job with lobster dinners, and buddy-ol'-pal here told you to give that up for $5000 a week with grayhounds and cold sandwiches, you can't possibly tell me that you wouldn't want to go back to what you origanally had...

These guys have lives to live and families to support.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
No it will be the actual PA members that will have to face the wrath if they cross. Just another note. Most of the NHL players playing in Europe are European to begin with and are using the work stopage as a chance to go back and play in there hometown.
Point 1: Wrath? What, is Brad May going to put another bounty on someone else's head? :joker:

I didn't realize the NHLPA was such a dictatorship. Maybe they should realize that some of these players actually have something to lose from this? And by that, I don't mean whether or not Jarome Iginla is willing to fall from 9 million a year to 6 million a year at the risk of his "fellow brother" union members career.

Point 2: Did you actually have proof for this?

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Splatman Phanutier said:
Point 1: Wrath? What, is Brad May going to put another bounty on someone else's head? :joker:

I didn't realize the NHLPA was such a dictatorship. Maybe they should realize that some of these players actually have something to lose from this? And by that, I don't mean whether or not Jarome Iginla is willing to fall from 9 million a year to 6 million a year at the risk of his "fellow brother" union members career.

Point 2: Did you actually have proof for this?

Unless half the players cross all at once the first few groups that cross the picket line will be outkasts to the rest of the players as they should be when the labour dispute ends. The PA needs to stay strong other wise they will have no negotiating power what so ever in future labout disputes. If half the players cross the line they they will stabbing the future players in the backs.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
Unless half the players cross all at once the first few groups that cross the picket line will be outkasts to the rest of the players as they should be when the labour dispute ends. The PA needs to stay strong other wise they will have no negotiating power what so ever in future labout disputes. If half the players cross the line they they will stabbing the future players in the backs.
From what Darryl Sutter said on the radio, it seems like the majority of the Calgary Flames will cross the line if the league goes towards replacement players. I'd be willing to bet more then half the league would be willing to cross the line.

Right now, what the NHLPA is fighting for is the top 8% - and I'll bet these players know that. Of the remaining 92%, I'll be willing to bet about half realize their careers are at stake, and will realize they are being paid to live a dream.

Stabbing future players in the back... arn't they already by putting the low cap on rookie base and bonus's? And those that lose jobs when contraction occurs, which some players have supported?

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Splatman Phanutier said:
From what Darryl Sutter said on the radio, it seems like the majority of the Calgary Flames will cross the line if the league goes towards replacement players. I'd be willing to bet more then half the league would be willing to cross the line.

Right now, what the NHLPA is fighting for is the top 8% - and I'll bet these players know that. Of the remaining 92%, I'll be willing to bet about half realize their careers are at stake, and will realize they are being paid to live a dream.

Stabbing future players in the back... arn't they already by putting the low cap on rookie base and bonus's? And those that lose jobs when contraction occurs, which some players have supported?

I really doubt that half the players will cross the picket lines come september. Doing so would seal their fate and give no negotiating power in the future or destroy the union all together. If the NHL had no union we would all get to see what these owners are all about and I don't think it would be pretty.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
richardn said:
I really doubt that half the players will cross the picket lines come september. Doing so would seal their fate and give no negotiating power in the future or destroy the union all together. If the NHL had no union we would all get to see what these owners are all about and I don't think it would be pretty.

Whereas sticking together and fighting the good fight will get them . . . what exactly? Another lost year of their average four year careers?

As for not letting the union be broken, I think it is already too late for that, don't you?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
The first guys to cross will be hated.

But imagine if someone like Mario, Yzerman, Messier crossed... Something that seems so taboo, might not be that bad anymore.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
What would possibly make you doubt that? More then half the players can easily be replaced, and I'm sure they realize that when replacement players come in, there is no guerentees on their jobs. Look at each team; I'll do Calgary, for those players who risk losing their career:
Lombardi, Kobasew, Weimer, Nilson, Niemenen, Gelinas, Donovan, Clark, Yelle, Weimer, Ritchie, Montador, Commodore, Ference, Warraner, Reinprecht.
That's 16/23 players. I'll suspect that due to respect for Darryl Sutter (as many players have turned to Sutter for help and guidence) Simon, Regehr, Kiprusoff and Turek would cross as well.

Break the union? Of the Flames, only Iginla would care.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tb0ne said:
The first guys to cross will be hated.

But imagine if someone like Mario crossed...

Mario had Baldwin's $30 Million contract tossed out by a bankruptcy court, in exchange he got a major share of the Pens. If the union cracks his share in the Pens increases dramatically. Now Mario showed recently that he had the best interest of the game most at heart by fighting for a deal even though the Pens, and his money, would have been better served with a Cap lower than $42.5 million and as well the Pens are sitting pretty in many of the potential draft scenerios once a new CBA is signed if the season is cancelled. He went anyways which makes him a huge hero in my eyes because it could have cost him millions. That said, if you think that he will sit by when half the league crosses, you are nuts. He would cross. It is one thing fighting for the season and the NHL he loves. Crossing the line to break a union he disagrees with and who is trying to take money from his pocket would be something else entirely I would bet.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Then I'll go right out and say it, most of his team will as well.

Malkin included, if a new agreement is in place with Russia by then.

Hmm, it seems all they have to do now is get an impasse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->