It's over now(NHL-NHLPA have destroyed the NHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Crazy Lunatic said:
Are you serious? He said that if the CBA wasn't being put on paper by the weekend an announcement to cancel the season will be made early next week (Monday or Tuesday). That's a drop dead date. Hey, I hope they make progress and you are right, but I doubt it. The season is dead.

He also said expansion would work and that the owners won the last tug of war.

Don't believe everything you read. Especially considering that with no season you might as well just kill 4 teams.

Noones going to get out of this one unscathed i'm afraid. The players will lose money. The teams will lose millions up millions on their investments. And people like me will generally hate both sides for being too bullheaded to work this out 6 months ago.

When you don't talk, nothing gets done. And the NHL AND the NHLPA are both guilty as charged on that account

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Crazy Lunatic said:
Are you serious? He said that if the CBA wasn't being put on paper by the weekend an announcement to cancel the season will be made early next week (Monday or Tuesday). That's a drop dead date. Hey, I hope they make progress and you are right, but I doubt it. The season is dead.

Well I know that, i was just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if this kept going another week, it's not as though Bettman said it's Monday doe or die, he just said that they have to be drafting docs. by this weekend, it just seemed to me like he left the door open in case things didin't go according to plan...

as for the word progress, it seems that progress is only made when either side gets their way, so don't expect to hear any, were making progress reports...I just don't see the season being cancelled, cause if it was, alot more would be going on...

1#-bettman would of cancelled the season yesterday (why haven't people clued into this)

2# why haven't the older players announced their retirement, if the PA really thinks that they can sit this out forever, why haven't Yzerman, Messier, Leetch, Hasek, said, well were not budging, and the NHL just gave us their last offer and it dosen't look like their budging so i'll just retire, Ted Saskin keeps saying the NHL won't budge off it's cap stance, why hasn't he told them to hang it up because this is going to be a long batte, are you trying to tell me that Messier is hoping to lace them up in 2006-2007 after more than a year off, and that's ifthey get a deal done?

i could keep going on and on, but i've typed way too much today

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
417 TO MTL said:
Now that's logical thinking... :handclap: good job weaving through all the lies to find out what really is going on...the funny part is, we could be sitting here next week talking about the same thing, and the season will still be on the brink, drafting CBA documents by the weekend dosen't sound like a drop dead date to me

"Weaving through all the lies?" Sounds like something off a certain blog. I dont think we will be still sitting here this time next week going through this. Its this weekend or bust.

I hope because Ive had enough. :amazed:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i still have hope, if yesterday wasnt smoke, why didnt they just cancel it then? i still think there is a round or two of negotiations left - i agree with the earlier poster who noted the 1994 lockout, everything is going almost identical to that. it was over for good numerous times prior to the agreement. the only difference is this time i dont think there will be a "deal in principle" - its done or its not. if the league wasnt prepared to play, they wouldnt have a 28 game season already in planning, plus playoffs. i think they think it might get done.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Muleskinner said:
"Weaving through all the lies?" Sounds like something off a certain blog. I dont think we will be still sitting here this time next week going through this. Its this weekend or bust.

I hope because Ive had enough. :amazed:

maybe it does sound like something from a certain blog, but that certain blog makes alot more sense than "The season over" that we hear all the time from TSN and Sportsnet and every media outlet...while everyone pays attention to what is said in the media, I try to focus on what is not being said, and that is that the season has been cancelled

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
This is similar to the signing of a player (well I would even say much worst...), they seem to be miles apart with no possible solution. Then all of the sudden a deal is done. I will always remember the last signing of Palffy, there where ocean apart and all of the sudden he was signed. This is negotiation...Simple negotiation.

There is no way the season is done without another offer from the PA. At least to gain public favour...It has been said before the PA did not make a proposal since dec 9th, they will make one this weekend. If Gary thinks that they can work on it he will not cancel the season. I think both sides knows that canceling the season is not an option...Or they are fools !

Muleskinner

Jan 26, 2005
Marching to the sea
417 TO MTL said:
maybe it does sound like something from a certain blog, but that certain blog makes alot more sense than "The season over" that we hear all the time from TSN and Sportsnet and every media outlet...while everyone pays attention to what is said in the media, I try to focus on what is not being said, and that is that the season has been cancelled

Look, I read his stuff too mostly due to the fact he seems to have his ear to the track so to speak more than anyone else out there. I dont mean to sound like I think that his "sources" are real at all. I dont, but I do think while he makes stuff up most of the time, if there is any news out there he will be on top of it real quick to claim it as his own.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Mountain Dude said:
He's stating the painfully obvious, even if it isn't this week, or next week, or the week after that, a deal isn't going to get done any time soon. I would be incredibly shocked if they get one done in 05, and impressed if its done in 06.

Painfully obvious to those not familiar with labor disputes. As I've said time and time again, its not over until Gary officially cancels the season. The 11th hour is when most of the serious bargaining is done. That isn't to say that there will be an agreement come the end of the weekend. Simply that this thing hasn't played itself out yet.

Hard to believe someone with the good sense to be a fan of "The Office" would buy in so hard to the TSN-Sportsnet-Score propaganda line.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
TexSen said:
Amen brother! Amen!
I could have the worst day and throw on the downloaded songs from The Office, including David Brent's genious first two verses from The Police's "Every Breath You Take" and hear that "YEAH!" at the end of it and my world is back in balance.

And that doesn't include the four different versions of Free Love Freeway, If You Don't Know Me By Now, Spaceman, and his Princess Diana tribute.

Hmmmm, not sure what is more funny......the lockout, the posts related to the lockout or The Office......

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Mountain Dude said:
:bow: To your avatar man, I listen to that song every day on the way to school! :D
And showing off my stunning internet skills I manage in a very David Brent-esque way to respond to his own quote by accident......

"Texsen quipped.........."

Damn, I crack me up!

NewBreed19

This whole mess is not about replacement players, it's about theNHL&NHLPA getting a new cba. I hope this is going to kick in soon, because a lot of good hockey people are to be lost over this soap opera!!

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
kenabnrmal said:
Painfully obvious to those not familiar with labor disputes. As I've said time and time again, its not over until Gary officially cancels the season. The 11th hour is when most of the serious bargaining is done. That isn't to say that there will be an agreement come the end of the weekend. Simply that this thing hasn't played itself out yet.

I agree...

But I've been wondering if it's even over once the season is 'officially' cancelled...

If a decision was made and the process initiated to 'officially cancel the season', could Gary later decide to turn back on his decision?... i.e. Use the 'official' cancelling of the season as a negotiation tactic and later have a 'change of heart' after seeing how the 'deadline hunters' react to having passed the 'deadline'...

Once Gary 'officially' cancels the season, if the NHLPA came back and said 'wait Gary, we made a mistake!'... could Gary revoke his decision?

I assume it depends on how far the cancelling process has gone... Does anyone know the 'official cancelling process' - and how far the process can go before the decision can't be revoked?

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
I in the Eye said:
I agree...

But I've been wondering if it's even over once the season is 'officially' cancelled...

If a decision was made and the process initiated to 'officially cancel the season', could Gary later decide to turn back on his decision?... i.e. Use the 'official' cancelling of the season as a negotiation tactic and later have a 'change of heart' after seeing how the 'deadline hunters' react to having passed the 'deadline'...

Once Gary 'officially' cancels the season, if the NHLPA came back and said 'wait Gary, we made a mistake!'... could Gary revoke his decision?

I assume it depends on how far the cancelling process has gone... Does anyone know the 'official cancelling process' - and how far the process can go before the decision can't be revoked?

I'm not sure. I can't see them going back on it after they've cancelled it, but at the same time they've been so reluctant to put a drop dead date, even giving themselves an "out" as far as the date goes. My best guess is that its to let the pressure build on the PA as much as possible so that when it truely is the 11th hour, the PA's "best offer" will be that much better. Thats just a guess, as I'm not in the room with the negotiators, nor do I know their personal techniques.

NewBreed19

The season is done as long as Goodenow is in place!! He will not try a deadline deal like he did in 94-95. He might submitt another proposal, but it won't be good enough to please the NHL! It's over in my opinion. :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->