It's Official - Frolov is OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Tadite said:
What a waste of time. I was trying to do my best to ignore the Olympics now I get to find out my 1st line LW maybe out of the season.

What a stupid waste.

It's called sports.

Stop blaiming Olympics for everything.

How many players get injured in the NHL DAILY???????

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
artilector said:
Unless there is a quote of him saying that more or less directly, you're really over-reaching.

Its one thing when you can't make your national team and so start playing for another country, its a completely different story when you have played on a national team with a storied, proud history... If he really did say that.. What a spineless chameleon. You can hold a grudge against individuals, but never against your nation..

No, his situation is not a suprise, but its a damn shame, not so much because he's good, but because in this case its a stain on the entire nation when of its best declines to help his country in the Olympics, IMO - especially a country like Russia, where it does not get any bigger than hockey in the Olympics..

Its kind of like Roenick saying that crap about rooting for Canada after getting shafted.. If I'd be American I'd be mad as hell about that... but here its to the n-th degree because of the specifics of this situation.
I did mis-state that a little bit. I didn't recall the quote very well (from the Dallas Stars program on 1/4/2005).

"To be honest with you, in my mind and soul, I am still Russian," Zubov said. "I will be Russian for the rest of m y life. However, the U.S. is my second home country, and my family and I became half-American when we became U.S. citizens [Kritter's note - His kids were both citizens by birth, he and his wife Irina naturalized in 2003]. Whem my career is over we have already made the decisions to stay here in the United States and my family is very happy about that. Whatever happens, we're not going anywhere."

I don't hold it against him (and I think it's different that Roenick because Roenick is bitter he wasn't selected. Zubov simply doesn't want to deal with the entire deal). I can see where it would be an annoyance, but I don't think it's a huge, nationalist issue.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Kritter471 said:
I did mis-state that a little bit. I didn't recall the quote very well (from the Dallas Stars program on 1/4/2005).

"To be honest with you, in my mind and soul, I am still Russian," Zubov said. "I will be Russian for the rest of m y life. However, the U.S. is my second home country, and my family and I became half-American when we became U.S. citizens [Kritter's note - His kids were both citizens by birth, he and his wife Irina naturalized in 2003]. Whem my career is over we have already made the decisions to stay here in the United States and my family is very happy about that. Whatever happens, we're not going anywhere."

I don't hold it against him (and I think it's different that Roenick because Roenick is bitter he wasn't selected. Zubov simply doesn't want to deal with the entire deal). I can see where it would be an annoyance, but I don't think it's a huge, nationalist issue.

To a Russian fan IT IS, trust me on this one!

:madfire:

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Ovechkin_mvp said:
It's called sports.

Stop blaiming Olympics for everything.

How many players get injured in the NHL DAILY???????

After 60 games players need a rest. No rest means more injuries.

Risk with no return is a waste.

I don't give a damn about the Olympic gold I care about the Stanley Cup. If I am going to risk a player its going to be by playing for that.

Not in some meaningless glorified exhibtion game.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
Tadite said:

I don't give a damn about the Olympic gold I care about the Stanley Cup. If I am going to risk a player its going to be by playing for that.

You should know that to Europeans Olympics mean much more than Stanley Cup...

We have nothing to do with Stanley Cup....

Most Europeans come to North America for money, that's why they do not play 110% like Canadians.

If we were, weel, guys like Yashin would score 60 goals and not 30.

Declining to play for your country is the most disrespectful thing to do for a European.

skullman80

Nov 18, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Tadite said:

To some players, yes even NHL players, it is much more important for them to play and possibly win a gold medal for their country then it is to hoist the cup.

Different priorites in different places.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Ovechkin_mvp said:
You should know that to Europeans Olympics mean much more than Stanley Cup...

We have nothing to do with Stanley Cup....

You are more then welcome to pay Frolov a few million dollars to do just that. But untill that happens he should only play for the Stanely Cup.

Ovechkin_mvp said:
Declining to play for your country is the most disrespectful thing to do for a European.

Demanding someone play for nothing but to put money into Organizers pockets seems more disrespectful to me.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Ovechkin_mvp said:
Most Europeans come to North America for money, that's why they do not play 110% like Canadians.

If we were, weel, guys like Yashin would score 60 goals and not 30.
That's certainly a shame if it's true and I understand your meaning correctly. As it not only legitimizes many of the opinions of the bigoted anti-Euro dolts on this side of the pond. But also negates much of your argument about respect and pride. Since I feel they are qualities that aren't only applicable in certain circumstances.

But I really don't believe it. Especially after seeing the guy you're sporting in your avatar play most of a season in the NHL.

Last edited:

Goallum

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Frolov would have made more money in the Russian league this year had he stayed there. Not everyone, but I'm sure most European players who play here do care about winning the Stanley Cup at least as much as winning the Olympics.

However, for European fans, who don't get to see NHL games as much as we do here in NA, it's understandable that the Olympics is much more meaningful.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
BlindWillyMcHurt said:
That's certainly a shame if it's true and I understand your meaning correctly. As it not only legitimizes many of the opinions of the bigoted anti-Euro dolts on this side of the pond. But also negates much of your argument about respect and pride. Since I feel they are qualities that aren't only applicable in certain circumstances.

But I really don't believe it. Especially after seeing the guy you're sporting in your avatar play most of a season in the NHL.

There's no shame in placing Olympics over Stanley.
In my country, hockey players grew up worshiping Kharlamovs, Mikhailovs and Tretiaks.
All they dreamt about were gold medals.

Yes, they come to the NHL for money (most of them that is) and they have greatly contributed to your sport (I doubt that you could argue this fact).

What if NHL seized to exist tomorrow?

Many great Canadian players went to Russia during the lockout, and failed to be the best there.

They simply wouldn't play up to their potential, because, to them RSL was a foreign league, with foreign ideals and etc....

I do not blame them for this.

Ovechkin is the new breed.
He represents a new generation of Russian players, who grew up watching NHL games.

It's good for NHL in general, and I love him for that, since I am a great NHL follower myself.

Still, as I said before, you shouldn't blame older Europeans for loving Olympics more than Stanley

Last edited:

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
KingFan24 said:
Frolov would have made more money in the Russian league this year had he stayed there. Not everyone, but I'm sure most European players who play here do care about winning the Stanley Cup at least as much as winning the Olympics.

However, for European fans, who don't get to see NHL games as much as we do here in NA, it's understandable that the Olympics is much more meaningful.

I wouldn't agree with you on that one

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
"most European players who play here do care about winning the Stanley Cup at least as much as winning the Olympics."

I would rather say SOME, but not MOST.

I, personally, would rather have a best of 7 finals for the Gold medal.
Surely, Stanley Cup is the best trophy in hockey (in my opinion), but, having said that, I spent 2/3 of my life in Canada, so I am pretty biased :teach:

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
To some European players the Cup may mean more than the gold, to some Canadian and American players the gold may mean more than the Cup. By trying to categorize anyone or saying things about certain people because of their nationality is unfair. It's like going back to the visor argument all over again.

And saying that some fans perfer one over the other, you can't prove this. There are always exceptions.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
SilverCup said:
To some European players the Cup may mean more than the gold, to some Canadian and American players the gold may mean more than the Cup. By trying to categorize anyone or saying things about certain people because of their nationality is unfair. It's like going back to the visor argument all over again.

And saying that some fans perfer one over the other, you can't prove this. There are always exceptions.

I was explaining how European players were broat up back at home.
I was not by any means trying to diminish their importance, work ethics and determination, when it comes to NHL.

Silvercup Returns

King Karlsson
Jul 28, 2005
Ottawa
Ovechkin_mvp said:
I was explaining how European players were broad up back at home.
I was not by any means trying to diminish their importance, work ethics and determination, when it comes to NHL.

Yeah, I know, I was half-ranting there sorry, heh, I hear arguments like this a lot and know where it's going.

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
SilverCup said:
Yeah, I know, I was half-ranting there sorry, heh, I hear arguments like this a lot and know where it's going.

True, some people could turn this whole thing around..............
You are right on that one...

Goallum

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
Ovechkin_mvp said:
"most European players who play here do care about winning the Stanley Cup at least as much as winning the Olympics."

I would rather say SOME, but not MOST.
I don't think we disagree that much. I agree with you it's not everyone, but I do think more of those that play here care about the Cup more than the Olympics. For many it's probably about the same.

From my perspective, I'd much rather Frolov won the Cup than the Olympics.

:)

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
I am still very dissapointed that neither Khabibulin or Fedorov got Conn Smythe(s) when they were, in fact, the best players on their teams........

Yet, that's another topic

Ovechkin_mvp

Feb 6, 2006
KingFan24 said:
I don't think we disagree that much. I agree with you it's not everyone, but I do think more of those that play here care about the Cup more than the Olympics. For many it's probably about the same.

From my perspective, I'd much rather Frolov won the Cup than the Olympics.

:)

Well, I'd rather have both ;) ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad