its never to early to start talking about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Kugel said:
based on the players coming back and other players who do u think will win the WJC in 2006. canada probably wont have any returnees but im sure they will put a good team together.
My understanding is the Russians have a pretty young team. They should be hard to stop.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Canada and Russia should have strong teams with Crosby and Malkin returning. IMO the US will put together a great team led by Kessel and Jack Johnson. I just hope Sandelin stays back at M-D.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I'd tend to agree that the Russians will be the team to beat. The US should be able to field a decent team if they can get their defence and goaltending issues ironed out. As always, Canada will be strong, but nothing compared to this years 'super' team (thanks NHL lockout).

Not sure about other countries. Sweden seems to be in a definite decline. The Finns are usually tough to play, but don't have a clue as to who they have returning from this years team.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Rick Middleton said:
I'd tend to agree that the Russians will be the team to beat. The US should be able to field a decent team if they can get their defence and goaltending issues ironed out. As always, Canada will be strong, but nothing compared to this years 'super' team (thanks NHL lockout).

Not sure about other countries. Sweden seems to be in a definite decline. The Finns are usually tough to play, but don't have a clue as to who they have returning from this years team.

Most of the Finnish team can return next year, as it was a very young squad.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
i'd call the Finns the early favourites. They have so many good players coming back with Tukonen/Korpikoski/Nokelainen/Joenssu/Rask. All they need is a good defensemen to step up and they'd be the favourites IMO.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Andrew_11 said:
i'd call the Finns the early favourites. They have so many good players coming back with Tukonen/Korpikoski/Nokelainen/Joenssu/Rask. All they need is a good defensemen to step up and they'd be the favourites IMO.

We'll see. I wasn't too excited about team Finland's 5 on 5 play, especially offensively. They could only score against Sweden and barely against Germany. With luck, they might get to through to the medal rounds, but they're not candidates for gold, IMHO.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
I'd gotta agree with Finland. All that experience as well as some good high-end players. If Rask can play well, they should be able to challenge for the gold.

As Blair Mackasey said, Canada doesn't rebuild, it reloads, so they will have a strong team again next year regardless of whether Crosby and Barker will be available. Shantz and Dubnyk are available in goal, Schultz, Rogers, Fistric, Smith on defense, Brule, Bourret, Wolski, Comeau, Chucko on forwards. Canada will always be able to send a team that can compete for gold.

If Malkin can play, Russia will also be very strong next year. But basically the only way he can play IMO, is if there is a lockout. Of course if that is the case, alot of teams will be strong next year as well.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
The Canadians always have to be considered favourites... bottom line, whether or not they have any returning players which they probably wont. The next wave of talented juniors will step in and lead the way

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Unless I made a mistake somewhere, here's the returning Russian team:

Belov
Malkin
Emelin
Radulov
Yunkov
Voloshenko
Lisin
Parshin
Shirokov
Khudobin

10 players, and TSN was saying the same number, so I guess I'm right..

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Andrew_11 said:

Korhonen and Laakso will anchor the D, both will probably go on 1st round next summer.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
Unless I made a mistake somewhere, here's the returning Russian team:

Belov
Malkin
Emelin
Radulov
Yunkov
Voloshenko
Lisin
Parshin
Shirokov
Khudobin

10 players, and TSN was saying the same number, so I guess I'm right..

Khudobin is a weakness, but the rest of the team should be quite a group for next year's tournament.

why can't Russia, almost 150M in population, produce one decent goalie every year.......... Khabibulin, Nabokov* and Bryzgalov, 3 goalies for a 100 forwards :banghead: .. dunno, hire coaches from quebec, send the most promising talents to play in Can, Cze or Fin, but please do something with the goalie situation in Russia!

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Slick Nick said:
Khudobin is a weakness, but the rest of the team should be quite a group for next year's tournament.

why can't Russia, almost 150M in population, produce one decent goalie every year.......... Khabibulin, Nabokov* and Bryzgalov, 3 goalies for a 100 forwards :banghead: .. dunno, hire coaches from quebec, send the most promising talents to play in Can, Cze or Fin, but please do something with the goalie situation in Russia!

we don't need coaches from Quebec, we need Tretiak to work with Russia.. this guy seriously works wonders with goalies.. he spent a week with Sokolov and Bryzgalov at the World Cup, and turned goaltending from a weakness into strength for us..

he also raised Nabokov, Belfour, Theodore and I think Brodeur, although I'm not sure about the last one..

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Slick Nick said:

Yeah, if you consider guys like Brodeur and Theodore, they all got some significant tutoring from Tretiak =). So Russia needs to get this guy back on its soil working his magic..

And Russia's population is decreasing at a 500,000-1mil. people a year rate. So pretty soon it'll fall to the level of Finland and Sweden it terms of geopolitical significance :).

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Saprykin said:
Yeah, if you consider guys like Brodeur and Theodore, they all got some significant tutoring from Tretiak =). So Russia needs to get this guy back on its soil working his magic..

And Russia's population is decreasing at a 500,000-1mil. people a year rate. So pretty soon it'll fall to the level of Finland and Sweden it terms of geopolitical significance :).
Tell that to the Chicago organization.....they want him too and pay him well.

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
Roughneck said:
As Blair Mackasey said, Canada doesn't rebuild, it reloads, so they will have a strong team again next year regardless of whether Crosby and Barker will be available. Shantz and Dubnyk are available in goal, Schultz, Rogers, Fistric, Smith on defense, Brule, Bourret, Wolski, Comeau, Chucko on forwards. Canada will always be able to send a team that can compete for gold.

I think Dave Bolland and Wes O'Neill should be on the 06 team.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
MOGiLNY said:
we don't need coaches from Quebec, we need Tretiak to work with Russia.. this guy seriously works wonders with goalies.. he spent a week with Sokolov and Bryzgalov at the World Cup, and turned goaltending from a weakness into strength for us..

he also raised Nabokov, Belfour, Theodore and I think Brodeur, although I'm not sure about the last one..

Tretiak is great but he mostly works with professionnal goalies. We need to improve our devloppement program for younger goaltenders. It's not normal that such great hockey country can't bring more quality goaltenders. I guess the price of the equipement plays a role in this too, I doubt poeple outside big cities can afford such luxury as a goalie equipement.

Beakermania*

LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
I think Dave Bolland and Wes O'Neill should be on the 06 team.

Add Kyle Chipchura as the heart and sole two way guy.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Rob said:
I believe the Czech Republic will have the most players who are eligible to return to the tournament next year.

No, it is Russia with 10.
Russians will be a team to beat.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
TORRUS said:
No, it is Russia with 10.
Russians will be a team to beat.
No they won't.....Canada will. Take a look at their roster, they are still packed. It will take an off year in Canadian hockey for them not to have the most depth.

Nimrods Son

There are only two players eligible to return for Canada next year, Coburn and Crosby. Canada will be in VERY tough to defend next year unless we get a good goalie.

USA will be great next year, if they can get a half decent goalie. Phil Kessel just looks like a superstar in the making right now. I know it's early, but I'll go ahead and project him going first overall in an 18 year old draft in 2006, if there is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->