Its going to be a 24 games season

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'd prefer to see at least 28 games. That way if each team plays every other team in their conference twice, every team will have to face basically equal competition to qualify for the playoffs. If it's just 24 games, some teams may wind up with a much easier schedule, especially considering only 24 games will be played.

monkey_00*

Rocket#9 said:
According to RDS. Playoffs format will be the same. Of course it's if they get a deal done

Enough?

Rocket#9...........

PLUS they will only play against teams in their own Conference.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If there is a season, I have a feeling the standings will be really messed up and teams like Detroit, New Jersey, Toronto and Colorado could miss the playoffs. A team like Florida or Atlanta catch a hot goaltender and get to play their divison alot more could lead to no name teams making the playoffs.

Balej20*

Jason MacIsaac said:
If there is a season, I have a feeling the standings will be really messed up and teams like Detroit, New Jersey, Toronto and Colorado could miss the playoffs. A team like Florida or Atlanta catch a hot goaltender and get to play their divison alot more could lead to no name teams making the playoffs.

What is a no name team now a days? Atlanta was competitive up until the last part of the season. Florida is just about ready to compete for a playoff spot with their young talent. Washington tanked the season last year. Pittsburgh is the only team that really shouldnt have any shot at making the playoffs....BUT look at the run they pulled off at the end of last season. All I'm trying to say, is that parity in the NHL (in terms of who could make the playoffs) is not a problem. Basically every team has a shot.

silver_made*

Jason MacIsaac said:

yeah, who are these 'no name' teams? they deserve nothing. if the playoffs don't include the devils, they are not worth holding. :dunce:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Balej20 said:
What is a no name team now a days? Atlanta was competitive up until the last part of the season. Florida is just about ready to compete for a playoff spot with their young talent. Washington tanked the season last year. Pittsburgh is the only team that really shouldnt have any shot at making the playoffs....BUT look at the run they pulled off at the end of last season. All I'm trying to say, is that parity in the NHL (in terms of who could make the playoffs) is not a problem. Basically every team has a shot.
Over a 82 games season Atlanta, Florida and Carolina all have a worse shot at the playoffs then in a 24 game season.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
silver_made said:
yeah, who are these 'no name' teams? they deserve nothing. if the playoffs don't include the devils, they are not worth holding. :dunce:
You basicly hit it on the head. 24 game season does not represent how good a team is, it represents how hot a start a team can get off too. We all know Atlanta are hot starters and a 24 games they have a great shot at the playoffs. Its not only New Jersey but also Philly or Colorado....any strong team for that matter.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Balej20 said:

Exactly. Atlanta with their young guns could do some noise very soon. Heatley is back, put him with Kovalchuk, and good UFA dman and a hot Lehtonen and they could make the playoffs very fast.

Same in Pittsburgh, if they can get Malkin to play well in the NHL (who knows what he'd do), with their young guys like Malone, Surovy and Koltsov, who knows?

Buffalo havs 3 good goalies, one of them (Miller or Biron IMO) could be traded for some forward or dman and with some luck they could be in the playoffs.

On the other hand, a team like New Jersey is getting older and older, and with Stevens maybe gone, who knows what they'll do in the future. I don't see NYI going anywhere anytime soon either with the stupid decisions they're taking year in year out.
Is Esche gonna become a solid, steady goalie, or is he gonna let his team down?

Lots of things could go one way or another in such a short season.. But i wouldn't go as far as saying the Stanley Cup wouldn't mean much, the playoffs would still need 16 wins, and they'd be hard played as usual

silver_made*

Jason MacIsaac said:
You basicly hit it on the head. 24 game season does not represent how good a team is, it represents how hot a start a team can get off too. We all know Atlanta are hot starters and a 24 games they have a great shot at the playoffs. Its not only New Jersey but also Philly or Colorado....any strong team for that matter.

whining for the sake of whining. it's 24 games for everyone. teams get hot; that's a fact of life.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
MasterD said:
Exactly. Atlanta with their young guns could do some noise very soon. Heatley is back, put him with Kovalchuk, and good UFA dman and a hot Lehtonen and they could make the playoffs very fast.

Same in Pittsburgh, if they can get Malkin to play well in the NHL (who knows what he'd do), with their young guys like Malone, Surovy and Koltsov, who knows?

Buffalo havs 3 good goalies, one of them (Miller or Biron IMO) could be traded for some forward or dman and with some luck they could be in the playoffs.

On the other hand, a team like New Jersey is getting older and older, and with Stevens maybe gone, who knows what they'll do in the future. I don't see NYI going anywhere anytime soon either with the stupid decisions they're taking year in year out.

Lots of things could go one way or another in such a short season.. But i wouldn't go as far as saying the Stanley Cup wouldn't mean much, the playoffs would still need 16 wins, and they'd be hard played as usual
Kovalchuk will not play this season. I remember something in his contract that said he will stay in Russia no matter if a deal is made.

New Jersey older? One player is older and that is Scott Stevens. Our core is under the age of 32. Here is a list of our players under 32 and still in their prime or having hit their prime yet:

Scott Gomez
John Madden30-32
Eric Rasmussen
Pascal Rheaume30-32
Dean McAmmond30-32
Sean Brown
David Hale
Colin White
Richard Matvichuk30-32
Scott Niedermayer30-32
Brian Rafalski30-32
Paul Martin
Patrik Elias
Jeff Friesen
Serge Brylin30-32
Jan Hrdina
Victor Kozlov
Kris Oliwa30-32
Jiri Bicek
Brian Gionta
Jamie Langenbrunner
Grant Marshall30-32
Jay Pandolfo

Last edited:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:

We couldn't be so lucky.

BDubinskyNYR17*

MasterD said:

Look at the Rangers minor league team. If the NHL starts in a week, alot of the Rangers players will be from the Wolfpack team, and they are one of the top teams in the AHL, yea its not the same as the NHL, but the Chemistry of the team will be the same as in Hartford. They play the same exact system. Most of the players already played together. In a 24 game schedule I can see the Rangers making it based on chemistry.

Balej20*

JOrtmeyer41 said:
Look at the Rangers minor league team. If the NHL starts in a week, alot of the Rangers players will be from the Wolfpack team, and they are one of the top teams in the AHL, yea its not the same as the NHL, but the Chemistry of the team will be the same as in Hartford. They play the same exact system. Most of the players already played together. In a 24 game schedule I can see the Rangers making it based on chemistry.

The Rangers actually should make the playoffs this year...the question is, do they want to make the playoffs?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
JOrtmeyer41 said:

I don't see them making it, just because they're the rangers.. ;) j/k

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Just great. So now you not only don't play half the league, you only play the teams in your conference once? Or not at all?

Oh, that'll work well. Two teams in a race for last spot, and one team ends up winning the spot because they had home ice advantage in the one game between the two teams.

Haik

Feb 11, 2005
PecaFan said:
Just great. So now you not only don't play half the league, you only play the teams in your conference once? Or not at all?

Oh, that'll work well. Two teams in a race for last spot, and one team ends up winning the spot because they had home ice advantage in the one game between the two teams.

If its 28 games and you only play against ur conference..then you play a home and home 2 game series with the 14 teams in ur conference.

ResidentAlien*

Jason MacIsaac said:

which might be a small part of "What the DR ordered"

ResidentAlien*

JOrtmeyer41 said:

you mean the Rangers have a maor league team??

:D

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Would there be something wrong with a 26-game schedule? Two each against your own division, and one game each against the other two divisions... pick lots to decide which division hosts the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad