It's a huge upset if Canada don't win gold again

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

Corto said:
Sweden maybe. The others don't choke, IMO.
Sweden lost to Finland in 98, Belarus in 2002 and to Czech Republic in the WC (after beating them in the 1st round).

don't forget sweden losing to canada i world cup semifinal 1996, a game sweden dominated in the end.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
SectionX said:
don't forget sweden losing to canada i world cup semifinal 1996, a game sweden dominated in the end.

Yeah, they tend to choke a lot. On the other hand, they're a terrific comeback team when they're trailing in a game, so that is a sign of mental strength anyways. I'm not talking just about the fairly recent 1-5 comeback against Finland but also several earlier 2-4 comebacks and so on.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
SectionX said:

The big deal with Sweden is giving up leads.

2002 vs. Belarus QFs (OGs)
2003 vs. Canada Fs (WCs)
2004 vs. Canada Fs (WCs)
2005 vs. Czech Republic SFs (WCs)

They had the lead in all of these critically important games.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
SectionX said:

Oh man that game was a tough, tough loss. Especially the way it ended.. Sweden dominated the OT, Garpenlöv hits the post, Theo ****ing Fleury scores. Completly heartbreaking. :shakehead

shawn_kemp*

Riddarn said:
Oh man that game was a tough, tough loss. Especially the way it ended.. Sweden dominated the OT, Garpenlöv hits the post, Theo ****ing Fleury scores. Completly heartbreaking. :shakehead

same story with the Czechs in '04

SChan*

Riddarn said:

probably the worst loss ever. Sweden had a kickass team.

when did we actually win an important game in OT?

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
NyQuil said:
I don't know.

We've gone out and pulled a Nagano, assembling a team of role players and guys whose past experience may be worth more to the selection committee than current form.

I don't agree that we're sending a Nagano-like team. IMO the only pure role-player on the team is Draper. Virtually everyone else is looked to for offense on their respective NHL teams. Thankfully we don't have any Corsons or Zamuners this time around, not even on the taxi squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad