It wasn't fighting...

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
I was reminded today of something I read a year or two ago in a sporting magazine.

Many years ago, a fight broke out between two players. The one referee (now retired, forget his name) continued to watch. The players kept circling each other, circling, waiting for an opening. This went on for a couple of minutes, so the referee stepped in and broke it up. He then went to the booth, and told the person there to penalize five minutes each for dancing. Since there's no penalty for "dancing", the guy naturally didn't want to do it... but the referee made him do it anyway.

The next morning, the NHL's head honcho calls the referee and says, "I've been looking at the box score for the game you worked last night... there were penalties for dancing? Am I reading that correctly?" The referee replies, "Yes sir, the two men kept circling each other. Not a single punch was thrown." So, the head replies, "Next time, just call it fighting."

:biglaugh:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Is Paul Stewart still officiating? Because that sounds like something Paul Stewart would do.

But most players loved Stewart, because he would let them play physical hockey. He would be tailor-made for the obstruction crackdown. He'd let them play hard, physical hockey. Stewart was a rugged, tough player, and it carried over to the way he officiated. But he'd call all of the hooking, holding and obstruction penalties.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
The referee was Wally Harris. The NHL head honcho was Clarence Campbell. it happened at MSG. The crowd loved the announcement somewhat more than did Mr. Campbell.

The story was published a year ago in the Lighter Side of Hockey edition of The Hockey News, last years' annual glossy issue. This year's theme is All-Access Pass, on stands now.

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
The referee was Wally Harris. The NHL head honcho was Clarence Campbell. it happened at MSG. The crowd loved the announcement somewhat more than did Mr. Campbell.

The story was published a year ago in the Lighter Side of Hockey edition of The Hockey News, last years' annual glossy issue. This year's theme is All-Access Pass, on stands now.

Wally Harris... that's the one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad