Speculation: It sounds like John Carlson is willing to test NHL free agency

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Best quote:

"Winning a Stanley Cup is a 99.9 percent positive event for a franchise, especially one as long-suffering as the Capitals. But there’s also the sting of players who helped you get there who you won’t be able to bring back — and it’s sounding more and more like that could be the case with Carlson."

This is the link:

It sure sounds like John Carlson wants to test NHL free agency

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
Nothing about this article implies there is a source saying he's going to free agency or that any new info led to the article being written.
Also I've definitely never heard of Michelle Bruton, so not exactly a reputable claim.

Reactions: CacOBG and Hivemind

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
interesting. i wonder how much the caps are willing to offer to keep him now

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yeah. Uhhhhh. As much as I dislike most things caps ....

1) it doesn't say or imply anything about Carlson testing FA waters

And

B) even if he does, no issues with that. He's earned it for sure.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want Buffalo to snag him because their D could really use him and with him ln their roster they instantly become a team that has a shot at the playoffs. If not him, I don't know what will.

I was going to troll and say he was going to sign with a team nobody would either expect and/or want him to.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It'll depend on Orpik getting moved in my opinion.

Not really. Assuming the cap goes to 80 mil (according to lebrun) caps will have 16.2 mil to sign grubauer, carlson, dsp, beagle, wilson and kempny

A simple solution is trading grubauer. As great as dsp is, you can replace him. Only issue is kempny

Reactions: BHD

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
interesting. i wonder how much the caps are willing to offer to keep him now
They are in negotiations. Joe Beninati, the Caps TV anouncer who has some inside knowledge of the team, has said the dollar amount per year being negotiated between the two parties, is above $8 million per year.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
He won, now he can just go in cruise control the rest of his career, collecting as much money as he possibly can.

Can't really say I would blame him. Some people want to chase history, or always be competitive. Some people want to build their lives and their childrens lives for the next couple decades.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Winning the cup probably makes it easier to leave. It's the end of the story, now he can cash in on a 7 year 60 million dollar free agent contract.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
They are in negotiations. Joe Beninati, the Caps TV anouncer who has some inside knowledge of the team, has said the dollar amount per year being negotiated between the two parties, is above $8 million per year.
That figure makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad